Pelican & Russian Circles

ILSnwdog

Any fans of these two post metal bands? They are very similar bands. Both hail from Chicago. Both make nothing but instrumentals. And the both f***ing rock!

Any fans of these two post metal bands? They are very similar bands. Both hail from Chicago. Both make nothing but instrumentals. And the both f***ing rock!

Any thoughts on where to start? I've been going down the 00/10s/20s prog metal rabbit hole and am definitely looking to keep going. Both of these groups have an extensive discography

I have heard of both of these bands but don't think I have heard anything from them before. All instrumental metal like this is something I've wanted to try for a while but never seem to get around to it. I guess I will give these two a listen.

Any thoughts on where to start? I've been going down the 00/10s/20s prog metal rabbit hole and am definitely looking to keep going. Both of these groups have an extensive discography

For Pelican, try “what we all come to need”. Great album.

For the Russian Circles, listen to Geneva. It’s epic!

I have heard some of Pelican but not Russian Circles.

The albums I have heard are Australasia, The Fire In Our Throats and City Of Echoes. The latter is IMO the most accessible of the three I have heard.

• Like 1

Back in the day I loved both
  • Like 1

I have listened to them both but not much.

In general, it seems like post metal is not my thing? They are very talented though.

A instrumental group from chicago that i like is called emperor penguin. Funky jazzy stuff.

Their first record title is a rush reference too!

• Like 1

I've seen Russian Circles open for Eagles of Death Metal/Mastodon. They were a really great opener. I really liked Blood Year.

I haven't seen Pelican yet, but Australasia is a great starting point with them

I missed that tour. :(

I love Mastodon.

I like Pelican but I need to listen to more of both bands.