No group photo on album cover

Mr Freeze

Rush were always more interested in imagery that represented the music than pictures of themselves. They weren't typical rock stars in that way. They looked to album covers by Yes, Led Zeppelin, and Genesis for guidance, and their artist Hugh Syme was a master who's work they didn't feel the need to interfere with. I always liked the fact that they kept their covers full of art instead of band shots.
  • Like 3

Well. The always had group photos on the inside of the album IIRC.

Obviously the size of a LP is superior for artwork both inside and outside.

I always appreciated their cover art and to be honest, imo they became famous because of their music not their appearance.

Can you imagine if the group photo from the interior of 2112 was the cover photo?

• Like 2

I always appreciated their cover art and to be honest, imo they became famous because of their music not their appearance.

Can you imagine if the group photo from the interior of 2112 was the cover photo?

Wellllllll, with those tight white pants Al was wearing, maybe they'd have attracted more female fans?

Upon mention of Rush group photos, the first image which comes to mind is the great group portrait by the legendary Yousuf Karsh, which graced the back of, er, Grace Under Pressure.

It was cleverly composed, showing the guys as they would appear to audience members during live performances: left to right, Alex, Neil and Geddy.

They sat for the Yousuf Karsh session on February 16, 1984, while they were still recording p/g at Le Studio (wrapping recording in March '84).

If you are not familiar with the work of Yousuf Karsh, it's worthwhile to peruse his catalogue. To say it is comprised of a Who's Who of 20th century figures would be an understatement. Included amongst these figures is Ernest Hemingway, whose line 'guts [courage] are grace under pressure' inspired the album title.

Edited by dream & vapour
  • Like 3

Wellllllll, with those tight white pants Al was wearing, maybe they'd have attracted more female fans?

Perhaps alexs "munt" would of lured in some ladies. Neils bathrobe and Geds kimono are classics too.

Upon mention of Rush group photos, the first image which comes to mind is the great group portrait by the legendary Yousuf Karsch, which graced the back of, er, Grace Under Pressure.

It was cleverly composed, showing the guys as they would appear to audience members during live performances: left to right, Alex, Neil and Geddy.

They sat for the Yousuf Karsh session on February 16, 1984, while they were still recording p/g at Le Studio (wrapping recording in March '84).

If you are not familiar with the work of Yousuf Karsh, it's worthwhile to peruse his catalogue. To say it is comprised of a Who's Who of 20th century figures would be an understatement. Included amongst these figures is Ernest Hemingway, whose line 'guts [courage] are grace under pressure' inspired the album title.

I got that picture as a poster.

Its almost too good of a photo, especially poster size. Every facial blemish .

• Like 1

Now this is just me - in my own opinion and all that - but that Grace Under Pressure photo of the guys never impressed me much. It always seemed pretty standard stuff to me. I know... You don't have to tell me.

Also, above there was mentioned that the guys never felt it necessary to interfere with Hugh Syme's album cover work. Unfortunately (okay, again in my own opinion...) they sure did interfere with "Snakes and Arrows". They moved Hugh's work to the inside material and put that awful old painting on there instead. ("Old painting" or whatever that was/is.) I think it would be cool if at some point (and for some "gooder" reason) "Snakes and Arrows" received a re-release with Hugh's original intended artwork on the cover.

• Like 2

Now this is just me - in my own opinion and all that - but that Grace Under Pressure photo of the guys never impressed me much. It always seemed pretty standard stuff to me. I know... You don't have to tell me.

Also, above there was mentioned that the guys never felt it necessary to interfere with Hugh Syme's album cover work. Unfortunately (okay, again in my own opinion...) they sure did interfere with "Snakes and Arrows". They moved Hugh's work to the inside material and put that awful old painting on there instead. ("Old painting" or whatever that was/is.) I think it would be cool if at some point (and for some "gooder" reason) "Snakes and Arrows" received a re-release with Hugh's original intended artwork on the cover.

I didn't know that about Snakes! Definitely not one of my favorite album covers. I wonder why they did that. At least they closed out with a proper Hugh Syme cover on CA.

I didn't know that about Snakes! Definitely not one of my favorite album covers. I wonder why they did that. At least they closed out with a proper Hugh Syme cover on CA.

I forgot about the CA change. According to Hugh, the cover of CA was originally going to be that big Sundial with the Dancer on the Edge image. That supposedly had been decided on, but then Neil saw the artwork (which ended up on the cover) and thought that it would work better as the album cover. The Sundial artwork ended up on the inside. So there! Interference again! (Not really "interference". The guys had input, say-so and final approval on the covers, and none of that is really interference. But they did interfere on SaA. imo.)

I've always thought that the CA cover as is, is a bit too much like "Hold Your Fire" with all that red again. Not terrible, by any means. And I still say I see a face in there, smiling evilly like an evil Watchmaker would smile. (Evilly.)

Edited by Geddyleegenes

I totally agree with what one of you said about the Snakes cover. The inside photo absolutely should've been the cover photo instead of that butt ugly one they went with which looks like somebody ate a bunch of Chef Boyardee and then threw it up

The S&A cover isn't bad, but it isn't great either. I would have much preferred to see some of Hugh's more interesting work from the inside of the album instead, something a little less literal.

And again, CA is far too literal. Painfully literal. I don't consider either of those albums to have true Rush album covers, they're just too boring and uninspired for that. VT is the last album that had a great cover.

On another fun note, I just searched for the Karsh portrait of the guys and found this behind the scenes shot, which I've never seen before:

1e7ac5c0f60fb9cba0e16fa00a673329.jpg

Thanks for the behind the scenes shot of the GUP photo sessions. Looking at Alex, it reminds me of when I, as as 15-year old, went to the hairstyler that year with a copy of Guitar for the Practicing Musician. Asked for a similar haircut!

guitar-for-the-practicing-musician-07.1984-cover.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the behind the scenes shot of the GUP photo sessions. Looking at Alex, it reminds me of when I, as as 15-year old, went to the hairstyler that year with a copy of Guitar for the Practicing Musician. Asked for a similar haircut!

Ahhh......Alex,just back from the audition for a Miami Vice episode.

The S&A cover isn't bad, but it isn't great either. I would have much preferred to see some of Hugh's more interesting work from the inside of the album instead, something a little less literal.

And again, CA is far too literal. Painfully literal. I don't consider either of those albums to have true Rush album covers, they're just too boring and uninspired for that. VT is the last album that had a great cover.

On another fun note, I just searched for the Karsh portrait of the guys and found this behind the scenes shot, which I've never seen before:

Looks like Neil and Geddy compromised and put on some jackets for the final shot that made the album cover.....Alex was always the sharp dresser :)

My son's hair looks a lot like that right now. Chicks dig it.
  • Like 1

True, but it's a step up from the Tokyo drag queen look of the 70s.
  • Like 2

I'd like to see a concert with two of the artists listed here together.

But woul d it be Twisted Sister with special guest Jaco Pastorius, or the other way around?

Edited by laughedatbytime

I'd like to see a concert with two of the artists listed here together.

But woul d it be Twisted Sister with special guest Jaco Pastorius, or the other way around?

Pastorius auditioned for Fisted Sister ...they thought his playing was too pedestrian,plus he didn't fit the costume

Upon mention of Rush group photos, the first image which comes to mind is the great group portrait by the legendary Yousuf Karsch, which graced the back of, er, Grace Under Pressure.

I got that picture as a poster.

Its almost too good of a photo, especially poster size. Every facial blemish .

and oddly enough it is my least liked group photo used on any of their albums. I find the pose awkward and the look on their faces they look uncomfortable. Weird for such a legendary portrait photographer.

• Like 1

Looks like Neil and Geddy compromised and put on some jackets for the final shot that made the album cover.....Alex was always the sharp dresser :)

I've seen a few shots from that session and Alex was wearing shoes like these...

71af26faf891dd4207e8f98307613fa4--classic-shoes-vans-classic-slip-on.jpg

Might explain why there wasn't a full height photo on the cover :D

Edited by Lurkst