New Styx Album "Crash Of The Crown" available June 18th

ST3V

artwork-440x440.jpg

"A new era of hope, survival, and prosperity comes calling on STYX’s Crash of the Crown, the band’s first studio album since 2017’s The Mission. Though the 15-track album takes a hard look at some inherently dark subjects, the prevalent light at the end of the tunnel eventually becomes each song’s focal point — a persistent fervor to keep moving forward and achieve the greater good. Featuring "Crash of the Crown," "Reveries" & more, available on CD, 180g black vinyl, and 180g clear vinyl."

1. The Fight Of Our Lives

2. A Monster

3. Reveries

4. Hold Back the Darkness

5. Save Us From Ourselves

6. Crash of the Crown

7. Our Wonderful Lives

8. Common Ground

9. Sound the Alarm

10. Long Live the King

11. Lost at Sea

12. Coming Out the Other Side

13. To Those

14. Another Farewell

15. Stream

The albums' title track is available on YouTube, and on all streaming services. The album is currently available for pre-order.

I know a lot of people here on the forum enjoyed "The Mission" so figured I'd share the news on here. (Pat stay out!)

This is their longest album, with 15 songs, as their previous 3 albums have all featured 14 songs in total. Also note-worthy is that they are using their original Logo back from the Styx II album (the one with "Lady"), which they also use on their new EP, "The Same Stardust" which is also releasing this year on June 12th as a part of Record Store Day. This is their first studio album to use the logo since 1973, but not their first time using it overall since then.

This also means Styx is back on tour. They have announced a tour with Collective Soul, beginning June 18th, the same day as the release of "Crash Of The Crown", and ending June 27th.

Edited by ST3V
  • Like 5

I am looking forward to this release. I really enjoyed The Mission - a very unexpected (and pleasant) surprise for a band at this stage in their career.

I have high hopes for Crash Of The Crown!!!

• Like 5

i quite enjoyed the single that's on spotify now. very Classic Styx sound.....i'm on board.

the Mission was fantastic for a very late period album.....bring it on.

Mick

• Like 4

WOW!! Just heard the title track. I had no doubts that this record would be anything but bad, but still they manage to shock me with just 1 song. Very classic Styx vibes, as well as some Kansas vibes here and there which is the best thing I could hear right now, with Kansas being my current obsession. Screw you American Prog deniers!
  • Like 4

WOW!! Just heard the title track. I had no doubts that this record would be anything but bad, but still they manage to shock me with just 1 song. Very classic Styx vibes, as well as some Kansas vibes here and there which is the best thing I could hear right now, with Kansas being my current obsession. Screw you American Prog deniers!

I agree. it's like......shit if this song is anything to go by. This album's gonna rule.

i kinda love how this band is seemingly getting a new lease. cause The Mission was awesome.

Mick

• Like 2

I agree. it's like......shit if this song is anything to go by. This album's gonna rule.

i kinda love how this band is seemingly getting a new lease. cause The Mission was awesome.

Mick

Agreed, I'm glad theyve had the motivation to go and write new album lengths worth of songs in the past half decade, although they still went into the studio before The Mission. They had the Regeneration EPs, where they covered a bunch of Styx hits, a couple Damn Yankees songs, and also had a new song on there, and they wrote a couple new ones for their live album One With Everything. I mean, this lineup is pretty much the same one since '99, with the exception of the Bassist change. The talent in this band is crazy!

• Like 3

This also means Styx is back on tour. They have announced a tour with Collective Soul, beginning June 18th, the same day as the release of "Crash Of The Crown", and ending June 27th.

They're touring for 9 days?

With Collective Soul that is, but as of now they don't have that many other shows scheduled, at least as shown on their website.

Of course I'm delirious over this. Love the new single, love the Queen-like sound towards the end.

And with Will Evankovich involved I'm sure the rest will be great.

Seeing them at rescheduled NJ balloon fest in July.

I'm still hoping the postponed full Mission show will be rescheduled because the two times I saw it, it was so great.

• Like 4

I expect a full tour in 2022 from them.....and a whole lot of other folks. :7up:

Digging the title track. Loved The Mission.

If you haven't seen the Tommy Shaw episode of Live At Darryl's House I recommend it.

• Like 3

Mick

I just listened to the title track this afternoon ....... it has certainly whet my appetite for the album!!! Bring it on!!!
  • Like 1

Also, if I recall correctly, this single is the first Styx song ever to feature 3 lead singers

Yes, it is. It wasn't something I ever thought about before but they have mentioned it a few times in various articles and such.

• Like 1

Yes, you're right.

I love that song. They did it live the other day and it was so good

• Like 1

This is definitely a solid album. Sometimes I think these bands are influenced by their earlier selves a bit, which I don't mind at all! There's one tune (I haven't got the titles down yet) that sounds a bit like Lights - the acoustic guitar bits.
  • Like 1

This is definitely a solid album. Sometimes I think these bands are influenced by their earlier selves a bit, which I don't mind at all! There's one tune (I haven't got the titles down yet) that sounds a bit like Lights - the acoustic guitar bits.

I'm trying to think of which song that is, so let us know if you get the title.

Glad you like it though.

• Like 1

I'm trying to think of which song that is, so let us know if you get the title.

Glad you like it though.

It's Our Wonderful Lives - the acoustic bit reminds me of Lights when Shaw starts singing "I heard the knock on my door / I heard the ring of the bell". Different keys - I think Lights is in A and the new tune is in D

Edited by toymaker