Politics Outside of SOCN: What to Do About It

JohnRogers

Before Rick's recent posts about The Go-Go's, I wasn't aware that there was anyone out there who took them seriously. That's probably why someone we have never heard of is beating them in the rock hall voting.

As for the political talk, it's been a crazy year for that. Because of the pandemic and all the political decisions that have happened regarding it, we have gotten a bit loose with talking about politics. I thought it was ok to bring politics up a little in threads about the pandemic but maybe I was wrong about that. Other than those threads, I don't think I have brought up politics anywhere else on the board.

I’ll take them over many of the bands that get discussed regularly in MotS.

Jackie, btw, Beauty and the Beat is better than everything in the PoW through T4E run.

That's the very definition of faint praise.

Not to Jackie though.

Yeah, well...

I could be misremembering or have my mind clouded with alternative facts. It seems a bit of an echo-chamber formed in Random Samples and then some folks decided to push back offer an opposing viewpoint. Long standing written and unwritten rules were tossed bringing us to where we are today, with some folks rightly annoyed.

The slumlord boss-man of TRF is busy tending to RL responsibilities. I know he is in fact fine, he's taking care of others but it's not my story to tell. In the mean time the rats we got out of line. Our self policing has failed.

How did this happen? You know who you are we are. No need for finger pointing or navel gazing. How about we just call a truce. Rise above and be better people?

In the future how about we call people out for violating the no politics rule, throw a BS flag if you will? Not engage in the pissing contest debate. Also report violations using the button.

I'm interested in ideas to fix this, so what say you?

I appreciate this post, Mr. Rogers. :cheers:

An idea on how to fix this problem? I have one. We remind everyone about the still standing rule of no politics discussion outside of SOCN. That rule has served us well for many years. If you really want to talk politics or religion and you're not a member of SOCN, either ask an admin for access (assuming you meet the three requirements listed in the Rules thread), or don't talk about politics out here. Period. If you fine folks can go back to self-policing this sort of thing, something the regulars have historically been good at, then by all means do so.

SOCN and its request-only access exists on this board for a reason. Any threads on the rest of the board that turn political or religious will be closed or moved into SOCN. Yes, there are possible exceptions for certain current events topics, and such topics would be judged on a case-by-case basis. You guys know the difference between important current events and politically charged topics.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 5

I could be misremembering or have my mind clouded with alternative facts. It seems a bit of an echo-chamber formed in Random Samples and then some folks decided to push back offer an opposing viewpoint. Long standing written and unwritten rules were tossed bringing us to where we are today, with some folks rightly annoyed.

The slumlord boss-man of TRF is busy tending to RL responsibilities. I know he is in fact fine, he's taking care of others but it's not my story to tell. In the mean time the rats we got out of line. Our self policing has failed.

How did this happen? You know who you are we are. No need for finger pointing or navel gazing. How about we just call a truce. Rise above and be better people?

In the future how about we call people out for violating the no politics rule, throw a BS flag if you will? Not engage in the pissing contest debate. Also report violations using the button.

An idea on how to fix this problem? I have one. We remind everyone about the still standing rule of no politics discussion outside of SOCN. That rule has served us well for many years. If you really want to talk politics or religion and you're not a member of SOCN, either ask an admin for access (assuming you meet the three requirements listed in the Rules thread), or don't talk about politics out here. Period. If you fine folks can go back to self-policing this sort of thing, something the regulars have historically been good at, then by all means do so.

SOCN and its request-only access exists on this board for a reason. Any threads on the rest of the board that turn political or religious will be closed. Yes, there are possible exceptions for certain current events topics, and such topics would be judged on a case-by-case basis. You guys know the difference between important current events and politically charged topics.

That's censorship, man! What about the 1st Amendment?

:yay:

SOCN and its request-only access exists on this board for a reason. Any threads on the rest of the board that turn political or religious will be closed. Yes, there are possible exceptions for certain current events topics, and such topics would be judged on a case-by-case basis. You guys know the difference between important current events and politically charged topics.

1st Amendment of TRF is, no politics outside of SOCN. So, we're good there. :D

• Like 6

Before Rick's recent posts about The Go-Go's, I wasn't aware that there was anyone out there who took them seriously. That's probably why someone we have never heard of is beating them in the rock hall voting.

As for the political talk, it's been a crazy year for that. Because of the pandemic and all the political decisions that have happened regarding it, we have gotten a bit loose with talking about politics. I thought it was ok to bring politics up a little in threads about the pandemic but maybe I was wrong about that. Other than those threads, I don't think I have brought up politics anywhere else on the board.

I’ll take them over many of the bands that get discussed regularly in MotS.

And I'll mention that barring an electoral miracle, the great Iron Maiden and the immensely popular (but not great IMO) Foo Fighters will not catch them in the fan voting by tomorrow.

• Like 1

But so as not to offend Jackie's delicate sensibilities, here's one idea. If you're contemplating making a post that has political overtones, think about whether you'd feel comfortable saying that at a party where you don't know the other guests' political persuasions.
  • Like 3

But so as not to offend Jackie's delicate sensibilities, here's one idea. If you're contemplating making a post that has political overtones, think about whether you'd feel comfortable saying that at a party where you don't know the other guests' political persuasions.

It’s not my sensibilities. I don’t give a fudge, really. Well, maybe I care more than signing up to rescue The Go-Go’s HoF chances. I’ve become aware the politics are bothering others. So like a RRHOF campaign I decided to become part of the solution.

SOCN and its request-only access exists on this board for a reason. Any threads on the rest of the board that turn political or religious will be closed or moved into SOCN.. Yes, there are possible exceptions for certain current events topics, and such topics would be judged on a case-by-case basis. You guys know the difference between important current events and politically charged topics.

By the way, I added to that point: ...will be closed or moved into SOCN. Moving threads that turn political has been our usual play, and I don't know why I didn't say that originally.

• Like 2

It’s not my sensibilities. I don’t give a fudge, really. Well, maybe I care more than signing up to rescue The Go-Go’s HoF chances. I’ve become aware the politics are bothering others. So like a RRHOF campaign I decided to become part of the solution.

A couple of things, moron. First of all, when I said "sensibilities," I meant you moaning about people not taking your thread seriously. Second, you don't need to "rescue," the Go-Go's HoF chances, they're in 3rd place today, so they're going to finish in the top 5 of fan votes. Then it will be, sadly, up to people like you who have official votes. "People like you," means people who know nothing about music.

A couple of things, moron. First of all, when I said "sensibilities," I meant you moaning about people not taking your thread seriously. Second, you don't need to "rescue," the Go-Go's HoF chances, they're in 3rd place today, so they're going to finish in the top 5 of fan votes. Then it will be, sadly, up to people like you who have official votes. "People like you," means people who know nothing about music.

What do mean by people?

• Like 1

What do mean by people?

Sorry. You're absolutely correct. "Too many people."

What do mean by people?

Say, by any chance do either of you know what the meaning of the word "is" is?

What do mean by people?

Say, by any chance do either of you know what the meaning of the word "is" is?

Well, according to one former head of the federal government's executive branch, it has a temporal meaning. For example, if you were to say, "Jackie is showing his ignorance about music in this thread again, per usual," that would be incorrect unless Jackie were posting one of his uninformed observations at this very instant.

But remember, no amendment is absolute! :lol:
  • Like 1

SOCN and its request-only access exists on this board for a reason. Any threads on the rest of the board that turn political or religious will be closed or moved into SOCN. Yes, there are possible exceptions for certain current events topics, and such topics would be judged on a case-by-case basis. You guys know the difference between important current events and politically charged topics.

Thank you for having this discussion, JR, 73, and everyone else. I umm might have been a little touchy about it the past few days and thrown a tantrum in another thread; not the best way to deal with it so I appreciate your level headedness.

And keeping fingers crossed for the Go-Go's!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 6

Go vote. Right now. And get someone else to. :)

I'm not sure if you want me to, my votes for Kraftwerk in previous years came to nothing. :( I might be bad luck! :lol: But I have been voting for them and will continue to do so! :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you want me to, my votes for Kraftwerk in previous years came to nothing. :( I might be bad luck! :lol: But I have been voting for them and will continue to do so! :)

Meh, you need to accept the cookies and log in. Then they're sending you email, selling your email to who knows. I mean if it was The Bangles maybe...

• Like 1

Meh, you need to accept the cookies and log in. Then they're sending you email, selling your email to who knows. I mean if it was The Bangles maybe...

You can log in using Google or that ridiculous Facebook you love so much. You can delete cookies. Christ, Jackie, will you man up for once in your life?

You can log in using Google or that ridiculous Facebook you love so much. You can delete cookies. Christ, Jackie, will you man up for once in your life?

Fine, I voted for your precious Go-Go's. I almost voted for the New York Dolls instead.

• Like 2

Fine, I voted for your precious Go-Go's. I almost voted for the New York Dolls instead.

They're prettier than all but one of the GoGo's

• Like 1

They're prettier than all but one of the GoGo's

Ah, they're dudes.

• Like 1