A Future Without Elvis

I heard twisters rolled through Tupelo last night. It got me thinking about that childhood shack of Elvis'. I think we can safely say The Beatles will always be something. What aboot Elvis Presley, will he be remembered like almost forever, like The Beatles and Frank Sinatra or will The King eventually become an obscure footnote?
  • Like 1

I heard twisters rolled through Tupelo last night. It got me thinking about that childhood shack of Elvis'. I think we can safely say The Beatles will always be something. What aboot Elvis Presley, will he be remembered like almost forever, like The Beatles and Frank Sinatra or will The King eventually become an obscure footnote?

Elvis will be remembered forever. Whether that will be more as an oddity or more for his music is yet to be determined.

Elvis I think will always be remembered as the first true rock star. His fame was outmatched until Beatlemania, and still few stars ever become quite so iconic anymore.
  • Like 3

Elvis I think will always be remembered as the first true rock star. His fame was outmatched until Beatlemania, and still few stars ever become quite so iconic anymore.

I don't know. I'm getting the sense that The King's star has already begun to fade. As more Boomers and Gen-X begin taking eternal dirt naps, in way that I'm not getting aboot The Beatles.

• Like 1

I never thought there was a chance of Elvis being forgotten. As long as his music, tv and movie appearances remain available for people to experience him, he will always be remembered. Look at classical composers like Mozart and Beethoven. Hundreds of years later and their music is still performed, remembered and loved by many. I see no reason why the same thing wouldn't happen with Elvis.
  • Like 1

I don't know. I'm getting the sense that The King's star has already begun to fade. As more Boomers and Gen-X begin taking eternal dirt naps, in way that I'm not getting aboot The Beatles.

I mean I'm not saying he's not going to fade somewhat. Nobody really listens to his music much anymore and we aren't that in awe of a person getting really famous since we have so many celebrities. But! There will always be chapters in history books for the first people to do things, and Elvis was the first person to become really famous playing rock music.

• Like 1

Elvis will be remembered forever. Whether that will be more as an oddity or more for his music is yet to be determined.

Here's some TRF Elvis trivia: SOCN's MysticRythm is/was a close relative of Elvis and would visit Graceland for family functions.

Here's some TRF Elvis trivia: SOCN's MysticRythm is/was a close relative of Elvis and would visit Graceland for family functions.

Cool.

When I visited Graceland the 70's time capsule aspect impressed me but I found it smaller than expected.

• Like 1

The King will live forever.
  • Like 1

He might wind up as one of those figures famous for being famous, without much context for why or how. I don't think his music will continue to inspire in the way the Beatles' has (or Mozart, for that matter) because it was too derivative (even in his own time) and too much alike; his stuff lacks the breadth or experimental spirit of true groundbreakers. Yes, not even "In the Ghetto."

I'll never bet against hipster irony resurrecting figures from the past, though. Twenty years from now, he could have three albums in the Top Ten Neural Downloads.

• Like 1

Cool.

When I visited Graceland the 70's time capsule aspect impressed me but I found it smaller than expected.

It was striking to me what was considered opulent by 60s/70s standards, knowing what the super-mansions of today's sports and media elites look like. Who knew that green shag carpet ceilings as a feature would be less than timeless?

Elvis an obscure footnote? NGFH!

As a side note, the airport near my house (yes, the one with the "accidents") at one time had a bar and lounge called "Maydays". Good drinks, fantastic burgers, and great bands. A fellow named Chris McDonald did a full bore Elvis act, 3 sets, costuming, (yep, the black leather ensemble), and did it well enough. His backing band were no slouches either, lead guitarist in a wheelchair playing a lap Strat Jeff Healy style. Their take on Cheap Trick's version of "Ain't That A Shame" tore the house down.

Nah, Elvis ain't goin' quietly. Thank yew, thank yew verra much!

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

I do think that his influence is fading somewhat. He was an absolute phenomenon - when I went to Graceland I was pretty stunned by the hallway of gold records. It was such a physical representation of the impact he had on the culture at that time - particularly when I realized he also made something like 3 films a year for that 10-or-so year period. Astounding. But it's true that in the years since we have seen that kind of phenomenon replayed. And his music is does not have the breadth and depth of The Beatles - but of course The Beatles would not have existed without Elvis, so it can't really be an either/or.

I also think The Beatles, in particular, as a corporation or business interest, have done an unparalleled job at keeping their brand alive in modern times. This just hasn't happened, really, for any of the early Rock & Roll artists.

• Like 1

The King will live forever.

??? I thought Chuck Berry already died................kidding, he's the Godfather

• Like 1

I think Elvis will always have a fanbase but it might become more of a cult thing as time goes on, because his actual music doesn't have that much relevance in 2021. You still see Beatles influence and impact EVERYWHERE, and that isn't going to go away. Elvis I don't see the same appeal with the younger generation. His music certainly sounds a lot more dated—I like some of it, but when you compare how it sounds today vs. how the Beatles' music sounds today, it isn't even a question what holds up better. And if anything, given the current cultural climate there's a lot more focus on how he benefitted from being a white guy singing traditionally Black forms of music, and that will be what gets talked about when his name gets brought up more so than his music.