Genesis tour 2021

custom55

Three months ago I wouldn't have looked at this thread. I've recently done a deep dive into Genesis, finding I like this stuff much more than previously thought.
  • Like 2

For me, this is all but a can't miss tour. While I wish Hackett was there, the little snippets from Phil's son about songs he's been learning for the tour have me very excited for the setlist.
  • Like 2

For me, this is all but a can't miss tour. While I wish Hackett was there, the little snippets from Phil's son about songs he's been learning for the tour have me very excited for the setlist.

Any chance Phil will play the drums at all, even just a fill in a song?

I think he really can't anymore, physically. However I'd bet that if he has even one fill left in him every night then they'll cover In The Air Tonight so he can do his big famous fill.

• Like 1

I think he really can't anymore, physically. However I'd bet that if he has even one fill left in him every night then they'll cover In The Air Tonight so he can do his big famous fill.

That was the one I was thinking. One last time.

• Like 1

Nothing out west? Early '22 maybe?

Yeah I noticed that too. I wonder if they're a bit too scared of covid out there still?

Can Phil still walk after the last round of back injuries?

It says in the article he'll be performing the whole set sitting down.

He will fit right in with the older crowd that will be sitting down during the whole set. So, he won't look too out of place.

He will fit right in with the older crowd that will be sitting down during the whole set. So, he won't look too out of place.

It's fine by me honestly. When I saw The Musical Box (a fantastic Genesis tribute band) a couple years ago nearly all of those guys were sitting down the whole time, except the singer of course. Genesis as a whole has always been more of a "sit and play it right" kind of band than a "run around and get people excited" kind of band, despite some super charismatic frontmen.

It's fine by me honestly. When I saw The Musical Box (a fantastic Genesis tribute band) a couple years ago nearly all of those guys were sitting down the whole time, except the singer of course. Genesis as a whole has always been more of a "sit and play it right" kind of band than a "run around and get people excited" kind of band, despite some super charismatic frontmen.

It doesn't bother me with certain bands either. When I saw Billy Joel everyone sat down and I fully expected that to happen. When I saw Rush at the Molson amphitheater in 1997 and all those boring, we hate fun Canadians sat down during their set, that was disappointing.

• Like 1

I just think it's a good thing that concert venues are opening up. I still won't go to an indoor show this summer by the fall/winter, I'm in.

Full vaccinated.

• Like 2

Mike Rutherford was interviewed recently and he addressed the sitting down part beginning at the 34:15 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VGa2F2MjfY

They were already dropping the keys of some songs 10+ years ago. That doesn't bode well.

And for me it's not the sitting/standing issue, it's the general energy of it...and the "why". I've seen some of the last tour's footage, and particularly some of the older material like "In The Cage" just seemed to be preformed in such a rote fashion. And don't get me started on Banks' synth patch choices....ugh.

They were already dropping the keys of some songs 10+ years ago. That doesn't bode well.

And for me it's not the sitting/standing issue, it's the general energy of it...and the "why". I've seen some of the last tour's footage, and particularly some of the older material like "In The Cage" just seemed to be preformed in such a rote fashion. And don't get me started on Banks' synth patch choices....ugh.

It may be better this time around. The further out in time we get the more the guys might find it worth doing the prog stuff justice as both that and the 80s stuff are well past their heyday now.

It may be better this time around. The further out in time we get the more the guys might find it worth doing the prog stuff justice as both that and the 80s stuff are well past their heyday now.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think it's possible to have a "better this time around". Phil sounds like I imagine my 85 year old father would sound if he tried to sing Genesis tunes in the shower.

The bottom line is that the backbone of the 3-piece Genesis is Phil's singing and drumming and he can no longer do either.

SOOOO :( expensive..i got a pre sale invite. I wont be going.

What are the prices?