Primus - AFTK Tour

chemistry1973

I find it rather strange that nobody said anything about the Toronto date. I have meet and greet tickets for it, and was hoping Geddy would make an appearance. But seeing how bad the covid situation is in Canada still, i doubt they will play here as part of that tour. maybe a future date...
  • Like 2

i really hope i can make it to the san diego show if it doesn't get cancelled. i wanted to see them so bad last year, but alas.
  • Like 1

Bought tickets last January for the original date (Troutdale) and held onto them when it was postponed. Looking forward to it. Hopefully these shows are able to go off as scheduled. The one I have tickets for is in an outdoor venue so I feel like that should be in good shape since most people in my area (including me) have been vaccinated.
  • Like 2

I think this will be terrible....as great as he is on Bass, Claypool just cannot sing...

There's a clip of Les Claypool performing 'The Spirit of Radio' as part of RUSH's induction into the 2010 Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame here.

If it can't be viewed by the above link, it's also below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taS06rvN8gk

When Primus embarks on the upcoming RUSH tribute tour, here's a comment posted by someone on Les's 'The Spirit of Radio' clip that puts things into perspective.

"Everyone saying this is a bad performance/cover/whatever; I think you're just not accustomed to hearing Les sing in a major key, or...any key, for that matter. Embrace the strangeness."

• Like 1

Embrace the strangeness."

Embrace the shiteness more like......

Much as I find Les Claypool's voice 'indiosyncratic' I did find his voice on the version he did at the Canadian Hall of Fame was tolerable.

And his(?) band did a nice job on the Spirit of Radio using the cello and assorted other instruments.

I think if you treat covers from a different band as just that - Primus doing their take on Rush then it's fine. If you go in thinking you want to hear Rush emulated almost perfectly (subconsciously or otherwise) then you're obviously going to be disappointed.

If I'm listening to Primus, I know the vocals are going to be a little weird in places but it fits their unusual music. Or at least, once you 'get into' Primus, you adjust your listening expectations accordingly.

Just like some of us may have done with Rush if you found Geddy's vocals a bit off-putting at first.

Interestingly, I can't remember finding Geddy's vocals a problem but when I did first hear Black Sabbath with Ozzy and Bon Scott from AC/DC in my youth that it was a struggle to 'like' or be ok with the singing for a while. But then again, my introduction to Rock music generally was listening to Ronnie James Dio-era Rainbow so the bar was raised quite high from that point!

interestingly, Primus has it's own genre category at ID3 - from wikipedia "....Primus is the only band with its own ID3 genre tag,..."

Edited by Malignant Narcissist

I think if you treat covers from a different band as just that - Primus doing their take on Rush then it's fine. If you go in thinking you want to hear Rush emulated almost perfectly (subconsciously or otherwise) then you're obviously going to be disappointed.

I didn't want that....I just wanted it to be decent......it wasn't.

I think this will be terrible....as great as he is on Bass, Claypool just cannot sing...

There's a clip of Les Claypool performing 'The Spirit of Radio' as part of RUSH's induction into the 2010 Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame here.

If it can't be viewed by the above link, it's also below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taS06rvN8gk

When Primus embarks on the upcoming RUSH tribute tour, here's a comment posted by someone on Les's 'The Spirit of Radio' clip that puts things into perspective.

"Everyone saying this is a bad performance/cover/whatever; I think you're just not accustomed to hearing Les sing in a major key, or...any key, for that matter. Embrace the strangeness."

This performance may have been the musical inspiration for the alternative polka band "Rash" ....

• Like 1

I had tickets to see this in June, but it just got postponed once again to August.

They’re taking Wofmother along for this reason I think.

Yes, Wolfmother is opening. I have no idea who is in Wolfmother these days or what kind of music they're playing. They've had a lot of rotating members and style changes. At the height of their popularity they were sort of aping early 70s style Black Sabbath and dressing in Vietnam War era clothing. They had some good songs but the whole 1972 costume party thing was distracting.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

They’re taking Wofmother along for this reason I think.

Yes, Wolfmother is opening. I have no idea who is in Wolfmother these days or what kind of music they're playing. They've had a lot of rotating members and style changes. At the height of their popularity they were sort of aping early 70s style Black Sabbath and dressing in Vietnam era clothing. They had some good songs but the whole 1972 costume party thing was distracting.

They were n that phase when I saw them open for AC/DC in Australia in 2010. To say that they weren't crowd pleasers is an understatement.

• Like 1

Can anyone suggest some Primus songs to check out which they might be likely to perform at this show? I've certainly heard of Primus but have never had any interest a chance to check out their stuff.

Top songs:

Jerry Was A Racecar Driver

Wynona's Big Brown Beaver

My Name is Mud

IMO Primus' best album was Sailing the Seas of Cheese. Maybe start with that.

I've seen them twice -- once at a huge festival, where I got nearly crushed, and again opening for U2 on the Zoo TV tour.

They're very playful, silly, and terrific instrumentalists. But definitely strange.