What's the best CD version of HYF?

jnoble

The original Mercury issue, the 1997 remaster or 2013 sector 2 remaster?

They all sound similar. I enjoy most of the songs (insert standard issue Rush fan joke about Tai Shan) but God, that thick layer of '80s reverb over the guitars/drums/vocals which make it sound like cardboard as one person here put it

Any of them; none of them. It's just not a great sounding album to begin with. My preferred master is still the original CD release from 1987, but I don't have strong feelings about that.

I can't put my finger on it, but there's a graininess to the sound that just doesn't get me excited. It's strange that Peter Collins gave us the spectacular power and clarity of Power Windows and then followed it up with the muddy mediocrity of Hold Your Fire.

The original if you want them as they were released.

I really like the Sector remasters period. But with Hold Your Fire there are some differences in added guitars on High Water (great freaking song) and strings on Mission. A missing lyric from Time Stand Still. Just some oddities not on the original release. Kinda cool actually.

Sound wise The Sector box set as a whole is excellent.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

What lyric is missing on the sectors TSS?

Actually I was wrong..not a missing lyric but a very odd transition not on the original release going into the second verse. It sounds terrible actually. And it is an obvious mistake to my ears. Other than that I love the Sectors remaster of this record. More bottom end, the string section in Mission sounds glorious and some cool little guitar blasts from Alex on High Water.

Actually I was wrong..not a missing lyric but a very odd transition not on the original release going into the second verse. It sounds terrible actually. And it is an obvious mistake to my ears. Other than that I love the Sectors remaster of this record. More bottom end, the string section in Mission sounds glorious and some cool little guitar blasts from Alex on High Water.

Explain how and when...I've listened to the sector HYF a bunch of times and never picked up on this

I really like the Sector remasters period. But with Hold Your Fire there are some differences in added guitars on High Water (great freaking song) and strings on Mission. A missing lyric from Time Stand Still. Just some oddities not on the original release. Kinda cool actually.

Check out the Steve Hoffman Forums. Sectors is considered absolute garbage.

Explain how and when...I've listened to the sector HYF a bunch of times and never picked up on this

You don't hear the added strings on Mission???

I could care less what he thinks. All that matters....is what my ears think.

It's the forum members, not Steve Hoffman. The general consensus now is that the 2015 LP remasters, available as HD downloads, are far superior. I've been doing A/B comparisons & they are absolutely right.

It's the forum members, not Steve Hoffman. The general consensus now is that the 2015 LP remasters, available as HD downloads, are far superior. I've been doing A/B comparisons & they are absolutely right.

Interesting. Need to check those out!!

I've been chasing these all month! The Hi Res downloads of the 2015 vinyl remasters are a treasure!

Sean Magee is the secret weapon behind the 2015 remasters. He's also done albums by Elton John and the Rolling Stones, and they all sound fantastic. The man knows what he's doing, and I'll buy anything with his name on it in the future.
  • Like 1

I've been chasing these all month! The Hi Res downloads of the 2015 vinyl remasters are a treasure!

How are you able to tell if these are labelled correctly?