26 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Boston - Boston
    • Genesis - Three Sides Live

Boston - Boston

vs.

Genesis - Three Sides Live

What do you say??

I'm a huge Genesis fan, and Three Sides Live is fantastic (especially side three), but even I have to admit Boston's debut is superior. A real once in a career kind of album.

• Like 2

I am a big Genesis fan of the Gabriel/Hackett era and whilst Hackett appears on a couple of tracks here it is essentially the post Hackett Genesis-lite. So Boston for me!
  • Like 1

Boston > nothing > Genesis

I must disagree with your progression, there, sir! While I think Genesis' best days were behind them about the time Boston came on the scene, they were still capable of great moments.

This was a good random matchup, but Genesis just edges it for me, probably because of my bias for live albums. Three sides it is.

I must disagree with your progression, there, sir! While I think Genesis' best days were behind them about the time Boston came on the scene, they were still capable of great moments.

This was a good random matchup, but Genesis just edges it for me, probably because of my bias for live albums. Three sides it is.

:)

So we'll put you down for Three Sides Live.

you can if you want but one thing you can't do is make me listen to it.

So, Boston is greater than nothing...and nothing is greater than Genesis.

Maybe I didn't read that right?

Regardless, I'll vote for a perfect debut from Boston over any Genesis album, which are often very good but never perfect.

• Like 1

Regardless, I'll vote for a perfect debut from Boston over any Genesis album, which are often very good but never perfect.

Well, when you put it that way...

Substitute silence for nothing and there should be no misunderstandings.

• Like 1

XVTjBmK.gif

Gabriel is too artsy and intellectual, though.

Edited by invisible airwave

:lol:
  • Like 2

XVTjBmK.gif

His stuff is hit and miss for me. Classic prog often walks a fine line between genius and pretentious trainwreck.

XVTjBmK.gif

In your eyes, maybe.

;)

This is absolutely a far more even match than I anticipated, lol.

Well, Three sides live is still on heavy rotation on radio, so it makes perfect sense.

:laughing guy:

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Here is a stumper...3 Sides Live or Boston?

"The album soared, with three singles becoming Top 40 hits. All eight of the songs on the album receive regular airplay on classic rock radio decades later. Taking a mere three weeks to earn an RIAA Gold Record Award (500,000 in unit sales) in 1976, and a Platinum Award (1,000,000 in unit sales) after three months on November 11, 1976, it was the fastest selling debut album for any American group. It has continued to sell very well, accumulating 9 million in sales by the 10th anniversary in 1986, reaching diamond in 1990, and 17x platinum by 2003.[15]:

• Like 1

"The album soared, with three singles becoming Top 40 hits. All eight of the songs on the album receive regular airplay on classic rock radio decades later. Taking a mere three weeks to earn an RIAA Gold Record Award (500,000 in unit sales) in 1976, and a Platinum Award (1,000,000 in unit sales) after three months on November 11, 1976, it was the fastest selling debut album for any American group. It has continued to sell very well, accumulating 9 million in sales by the 10th anniversary in 1986, reaching diamond in 1990, and 17x platinum by 2003.[15]:

I'm gonna lock in my guess for Phil Collins era Genesis, betting half of my current pot! :16ton:

I'm gonna lock in my guess for Phil Collins era Genesis, betting half of my current pot! :16ton:

:lol:
  • Like 2

Three Sides Live by a progressive country mile.

The medley of In The Cage/Cinema Show/Slipperman/Afterglow is astoundingly good on this album, and a few of the Abacab songs - Dodo/Lurker and Me And Sarah Jane - are very well preformed, too. And the "proper" 4th live side with One For The Vine, Fountain Of Salmacis, It/Watcher Of The Skies is sublime. Boston isn't even in the same league to me... and really...how can something be MORE than a feeling?

... and really...how can something be MORE than a feeling?

More than a feeling = reality

The reality here is that the debut Boston album is one of the best ever in rock music history. Versus a live album by a respected prog band.

• Like 1

... and really...how can something be MORE than a feeling?

More than a feeling = reality

The reality here is that the debut Boston album is one of the best ever in rock music history. Versus a live album by a respected prog band.

"It's more than a feeling (more than a feeling)

When I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling)"

So...he's not just having a FEELING when he hears that old song...he's....well, he's actually hearing it in reality? Which is the only way he could be having a feeling from hearing it...? Hmmm.

I was just being snarky because it's a dumb lyric...which, granted, doesn't set it apart from about 70% of rock music.