essential albums to own on vinyl

toymaker

I'm going vinyl hunting at this huge antiques warehouse this weekend, and I have a few things I want to look for. I collected records when I was a kid but gave a bunch away, stupidly, when CDs were the rage. I kept all the ones that were really important to me at the time.

I've seen a few lists online - 50 albums you must own on vinyl, etc. - but I wouldn't mind knowing what my TRF friends consider to be essential records to have on vinyl.

I'm thinking of things that you sit on the couch and listen to, holding the album sleeve on your lap.

• Like 2

It's not an album collection without Van Halen's debut :haz:

I have it on cassette - but yeah, it would be much better on vinyl!

What a cool place to go! I'm jealous!

I kind of go by how they were originally issued- I love the convenience of cds, but if they were originally issued on vinyl I like to have a copy of that. Some of my favorites- just because the sound is great for whatever reason- you may already have some-

Beach Boys- Pet Sounds

The Who- Who's Next

Deep Purple- Machine Head, Made in Japan, In Rock, Burn

Elton John- 11-17-70

Joni Mitchell- Blue, For The Roses, Court and Spark

Linda Ronstadt- Heart Like A Wheel, Hasten Down The Wind

Rolling Stones- Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street

Allman Brothers- Live at the Fillmore East

Marshall Tucker Band- Where We All Belong

Bruce Springsteen- Greetings From Asbury Park, Born to Run, Born in the USA

Beatles- Revolver

Led Zeppelin II, III, IV

Steely Dan- Aja

Jackson Browne- Late For The Sky, Running on Empty

Neil Young- Harvest

Chicago- Chicago II

Grateful Dead- Workingman's Dead, American Beauty

I dunno, feel like all these are so obvious but maybe not. Heres some less obvious ones-

Little Feat- Waiting for Columbus (live album that's excellent)

Earth, Wind and Fire- Greatest Hits, Vol 1

Ok I'll try to think of a few more deeper track ones . . .

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 5

OK a few more; I feel like these are so obvious and there are a lot of people on here that could come up with a better list but I will try. :P

Traffic- Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys; John Barleycorn Must Die

Rod Stewart- Every Picture Tells A Story, Gasoline Alley

• Like 2

Thanks for the list. I have some of these on vinyl:

Beach Boys- Pet Sounds - will have to try that one again....

The Who- Who's Next - good choice

Deep Purple- Machine Head, Made in Japan, In Rock, Burn - I don't have any purple at all except for that one comeback album (Perfect Strangers? shameful, I know)

Elton John- 11-17-70 - good choice

Joni Mitchell- Blue, For The Roses, Court and Spark - I have Blue and C&S on CD

Linda Ronstadt- Heart Like A Wheel, Hasten Down The Wind - never really listened to much of her

Rolling Stones- Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street - got 'em on vinyl!

Allman Brothers- Live at the Fillmore East - got it on vinyl, and in an album frame

Marshall Tucker Band- Where We All Belong - don't know it

Bruce Springsteen- Greetings From Asbury Park, Born to Run, Born in the USA - could never really warm up, but I do have the last two

Beatles- Revolver - good choice, if I can find it

Led Zeppelin II, III, IV - got 'em on vinyl!

Steely Dan- Aja - got it

Jackson Browne- Late For The Sky, Running on Empty - might look for Running

Neil Young- Harvest - got it

Chicago- Chicago II - good choice!

Grateful Dead- Workingman's Dead, American Beauty - I have no Dead at all

I dunno, feel like all these are so obvious but maybe not. Heres some less obvious ones-

Little Feat- Waiting for Columbus (live album that's excellent) - I remember owning a Little Feat album when I was younger, but what the heck was it? Possibly...Feets Don't Fail Me Now? Is that a title? I think it was a live album . . . so maybe it's the one you've mentioned.

Earth, Wind and Fire- Greatest Hits, Vol 1 - cool choice, too.

Thanks for the list. This place we're going to is huge - three floors of a massive warehouse, with tons of vendors and lots of albums. I'm going to come home with that sore neck you get when you've flipping through albums for hours!

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

OK a few more; I feel like these are so obvious and there are a lot of people on here that could come up with a better list but I will try. :P

Traffic- Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys; John Barleycorn Must Die - I used to have John Barleycorn

Rod Stewart- Every Picture Tells A Story, Gasoline Alley - I've got Every Picture on CD - awesome album

• Like 1

I kept quite a lot of my 80's vinyl and a few 70's ones.

which ones are you most glad you held on to?

Well I have a lot of different stuff, RUSH obviously, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy, Dio, loads of stuff actually.

• Like 2

Oh dude, how cool! I'd love to go shopping in that environment...ideally with a lot of disposable cash, lol.

Hmmmmm essential vinyl records eh?

top tier:

Rumors - Fleetwood Mac

Hunky Dory - David Bowie (and Ziggy Stardust too)

Abby Road - The Beatles

Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder

Purple Rain - Prince

Thriller - Michael Jackson

In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson

Synchronicity - The Police

2112 - Rush (duh)

The Velvet Underground And Nico - The Velvet Underground And Nico

Close To The Edge - Yes (gatefold necessary, that inner cover is to die for)

A Night At The Opera - Queen

honorable mentinos:

She's So Unusual - Cyndi Lauper

Off The Wall - Michael Jackson

Innervisions - Stevie Wonder

And of course there are many more, but that's why collecting is a hobby and not a one time thing.

• Like 4

Well I have a lot of different stuff, RUSH obviously, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy, Dio, loads of stuff actually.

What Thin Lizzy should I look for? Jailbreak?

• Like 2

Jailbreak is the essential one, absolutely. Forgot to put that on my list.

• Like 2

Live and Dangerous, Black Rose, Chinatown, Renegade, Jailbreak, Bad Reputation, Johnny the Fox, Thunder and Lightning.

• Like 4

Oh dude, how cool! I'd love to go shopping in that environment...ideally with a lot of disposable cash, lol.

top tier:

Rumors - Fleetwood Mac - got it!

Hunky Dory - David Bowie (and Ziggy Stardust too) - will check it out

Abby Road - The Beatles - got it

Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder - yeah ... that's one that disappeared

Purple Rain - Prince - no way that's gonna happen (ha ha)

Thriller - Michael Jackson - my aunt gave me that long ago . . . it may have become a dart board

In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson - that's on the list, even though I've never been able to warm to it

Synchronicity - The Police - got it

2112 - Rush (duh) - got the 8 track, two copies on vinyl, the CD, the remastered CD, the other remastered CD, and the box

The Velvet Underground And Nico - The Velvet Underground And Nico - could never warm up to it

Close To The Edge - Yes (gatefold necessary, that inner cover is to die for) - got it!

A Night At The Opera - Queen - got it - what I need to look for is Sheer Heart Attack

honorable mentinos:

And of course there are many more, but that's why collecting is a hobby and not a one time thing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the list. I have some of these on vinyl:

Beach Boys- Pet Sounds - will have to try that one again....

The Who- Who's Next - good choice

Deep Purple- Machine Head, Made in Japan, In Rock, Burn - I don't have any purple at all except for that one comeback album (Perfect Strangers? shameful, I know)

Elton John- 11-17-70 - good choice

Joni Mitchell- Blue, For The Roses, Court and Spark - I have Blue and C&S on CD

Linda Ronstadt- Heart Like A Wheel, Hasten Down The Wind - never really listened to much of her

Rolling Stones- Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street - got 'em on vinyl!

Allman Brothers- Live at the Fillmore East - got it on vinyl, and in an album frame

Marshall Tucker Band- Where We All Belong - don't know it

Bruce Springsteen- Greetings From Asbury Park, Born to Run, Born in the USA - could never really warm up, but I do have the last two

Beatles- Revolver - good choice, if I can find it

Led Zeppelin II, III, IV - got 'em on vinyl!

Steely Dan- Aja - got it

Jackson Browne- Late For The Sky, Running on Empty - might look for Running

Neil Young- Harvest - got it

Chicago- Chicago II - good choice!

Grateful Dead- Workingman's Dead, American Beauty - I have no Dead at all

Little Feat- Waiting for Columbus (live album that's excellent) - I remember owning a Little Feat album when I was younger, but what the heck was it? Possibly...Feets Don't Fail Me Now? Is that a title? I think it was a live album . . . so maybe it's the one you've mentioned.

Earth, Wind and Fire- Greatest Hits, Vol 1 - cool choice, too.

Thanks for the list. This place we're going to is huge - three floors of a massive warehouse, with tons of vendors and lots of albums. I'm going to come home with that sore neck you get when you've flipping through albums for hours!

Sounds like fun! I own about half of these on vinyl right now, I would guess. I've got to get the rest back! I've gifted most of these titles to my son over the years for birthdays and now I think he has a better collection than me! :lol: Had so much vinyl originally and lost most of it when our family room flooded. It was when cds where coming out so we replaced the vinyl with cds. Ive been rebuilding; the vinyl sound is so awesome!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

top tier:

Rumors - Fleetwood Mac - got it!

Hunky Dory - David Bowie (and Ziggy Stardust too) - will check it out

Abby Road - The Beatles - got it

Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder - yeah ... that's one that disappeared

Purple Rain - Prince - no way that's gonna happen (ha ha)

Thriller - Michael Jackson - my aunt gave me that long ago . . . it may have become a dart board

In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson - that's on the list, even though I've never been able to warm to it

Synchronicity - The Police - got it

2112 - Rush (duh) - got the 8 track, two copies on vinyl, the CD, the remastered CD, the other remastered CD, and the box

The Velvet Underground And Nico - The Velvet Underground And Nico - could never warm up to it

Close To The Edge - Yes (gatefold necessary, that inner cover is to die for) - got it!

A Night At The Opera - Queen - got it - what I need to look for is Sheer Heart Attack

honorable mentinos:

Aww, I forgot Hunky Dory! Such a good album. I figured you would have some great ideas!

• Like 2

Sorry I can't really add much to this thread - All my old vinyl is in the attic and I last owned a turntable 25 years ago.

I guess vinyl is not really essential for me anymore.

• Like 3

Live and Dangerous, Black Rose, Chinatown, Renegade, Jailbreak, Bad Reputation, Johnny the Fox, Thunder and Lightning.

You missed Fighting. That's my favourite Lizzy album
  • Like 2