Classical composer reacts to La Villa

treeduck

I think that the popular craze of "reaction" videos ( some of which I really, really enjoy) has morphed into, or at least created a subset of "expert" reactions...and a lot of times I can't help but feel I'm being grifted while I watch. There are a few "drum experts" or "drum teachers" reacting to Neil Peart solos on youtube...and a lot of it is just someone saying "this guy's insane!" It's like all they want is someone like me, a fan of Neil's, to "like" their video and say "totally, dude - he's the greatest ever!" But Peart was not "insane", and any real expert on the instrument would understand everything he is doing - while also being aware that he is doing it at a high level of skill.

I watched classical composer guy's reaction to Xanadu, and found it, relative to him being a composer, really short on insight and expertise. As stated elsewhere in this thread, I don't think Rush's chord progressions are what make them a unique band at all. Having some guy comment on a verse being in E (like, THE most standard chord in rock music) and then moving to D for a chorus just has very little value, in my opinion. And, I wouldn't knock a non-musician for this whatsoever, but when he was saying there was a section of Xanadu that was in 7 because he got confused by the "push" in that riff... well, that really made it hard for me to listen to anything else he had to say...

Here's a link to the "Xanadu" reaction video. I just discovered this guy a couple days ago; his identification of notes boggles my mind.

When I was in college, I dated (and briefly thought I would marry) a wonderful man who had perfect pitch, and he'd do things like hear a glass breaking in a restaurant and say, "That's a G!"

• Like 2

I think that the popular craze of "reaction" videos ( some of which I really, really enjoy) has morphed into, or at least created a subset of "expert" reactions...and a lot of times I can't help but feel I'm being grifted while I watch. There are a few "drum experts" or "drum teachers" reacting to Neil Peart solos on youtube...and a lot of it is just someone saying "this guy's insane!" It's like all they want is someone like me, a fan of Neil's, to "like" their video and say "totally, dude - he's the greatest ever!" But Peart was not "insane", and any real expert on the instrument would understand everything he is doing - while also being aware that he is doing it at a high level of skill.

I watched classical composer guy's reaction to Xanadu, and found it, relative to him being a composer, really short on insight and expertise. As stated elsewhere in this thread, I don't think Rush's chord progressions are what make them a unique band at all. Having some guy comment on a verse being in E (like, THE most standard chord in rock music) and then moving to D for a chorus just has very little value, in my opinion. And, I wouldn't knock a non-musician for this whatsoever, but when he was saying there was a section of Xanadu that was in 7 because he got confused by the "push" in that riff... well, that really made it hard for me to listen to anything else he had to say...

A cynic might say the whole trend is simply making a profit off pretending to like people's favorite songs. And he wouldn't be far off.

He'd be spot-on in most cases. This is frequently all about building up a big enough subscriber base to monetize one's channel.

Well, his political videos have very few views and seem to garner equal hate and praise. His reaction views are much more popular, and they seem to revolve around a specific type of music and a few artists.

I didn't see any political commentaries on Doug Helvering's channel. Who are you talking about, Goose?

A cynic might say the whole trend is simply making a profit off pretending to like people's favorite songs. And he wouldn't be far off.

He'd be spot-on in most cases. This is frequently all about building up a big enough subscriber base to monetize one's channel.

Well, his political videos have very few views and seem to garner equal hate and praise. His reaction views are much more popular, and they seem to revolve around a specific type of music and a few artists.

I didn't see any political commentaries on Doug Helvering's channel. Who are you talking about, Goose?

That was Led. :)

I found this guy a couple of months ago, he's from New Zealand and he says Rush wasn't a big thing in his neck of the woods. So he has started doing a few videos. I find him funny because he really is in the dark about Rush's music. He's trying to get his head around there are only 3 of them and in the later videos, he's trying to figure out where all the sounds are coming from. He's better than some of those others who just say wow a lot. Andrew Rooney is his name.
  • Like 1

I found this guy a couple of months ago, he's from New Zealand and he says Rush wasn't a big thing in his neck of the woods. So he has started doing a few videos. I find him funny because he really is in the dark about Rush's music. He's trying to get his head around there are only 3 of them and in the later videos, he's trying to figure out where all the sounds are coming from. He's better than some of those others who just say wow a lot. Andrew Rooney is his name. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aSylFROxaw&list=RDS9tAelKjgx8&index=2

His Natural Science isolated drums reaction is my fave so far.

• Like 1

There are tons of reaction videos on the ESL film version of Xanadu. It makes sense -- most of those reactioners (Reactors? Reaction Jacksons?) look for suggestions on what to react to next from their comments sections. If you're going to introduce someone to a song what shows what three guys could do to sound like six, you recommend that video. To me, that ESL version of Xanadu is Rush at the absolute height of their powers.

• Like 4

There are tons of reaction videos on the ESL film version of Xanadu. It makes sense -- most of those reactioners (Reactors? Reaction Jacksons?) look for suggestions on what to react to next from their comments sections. If you're going to introduce someone to a song what shows what three guys could do to sound like six, you recommend that video. To me, that ESL version of Xanadu is Rush at the absolute height of their powers.

Yup, that video is astonishing.....they create a sound as big as Nightwish do, but they require six musicians and augmented pre-recorded orchestral scores whilst the boys managed it with just three of them.

• Like 2

When I was in college, I dated (and briefly thought I would marry) a wonderful man who had perfect pitch, and he'd do things like hear a glass breaking in a restaurant and say, "That's a G!"

I had a friend in college who was like this. I would rap my knuckles on a table and he'd reply, "That's a G sharp but it's a few microns flat depending on the front or the back of the sound." He was also on the autistic spectrum (undiagnosed).

Fun fact: Bill Clinton also has perfect pitch. Lucky bastard.

I've heard rumors that Ella Fitzgerald had such perfect pitch that her backing musicians would tune off her voice. (!!!)

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 5:30 PM, Weatherman said:

I was just watching a video on YouTube where Paul Stanley talked about Rush as an opening band. It was clear that he considered the debut album to be the high point of Rush's career.

SMH

I don't even know what to say except ... he really does have dumb ears. Which shouldn't surprise me, but it does.

Are you aware that Paul Stanley only has one ear?

13 hours ago, anagramformongo said:

Are you aware that Paul Stanley only has one ear?

Damn, I honestly had no idea. I don't like KISS at all. 

Christ on a hockey stick, how did ever he become a musician?

Thanks.