Grammy ratings thru the floor...

The Grammy ratings were down considerably this year. From the Variety article on the topic.

The 63rd Annual Grammy Awards, hosted by South African comedian Trevor Noah and boasting powerhouse performers Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, BTS, Billie Eilish, Post Malone and Megan Thee Stallion, drew a scant audience for CBS.

The primetime ceremony had an impressive lineup featuring over 22 musicians, including Bad Bunny, Black Pumas, Cardi B, Brandi Carlile, Mickey Guyton, Haim, Brittany Howard, Miranda Lambert, Lil Baby, Chris Martin, John Mayer, Maren Morris and Roddy Ricch.

Maybe the lineup wasn't as impressive or as much of a powerhouse as they made it out to be. There was certainly no performer I cared to see, and while I'm not their target audience, I can't imagine there were hundreds of millions of others that didn't want to see this crap either.

• Like 4

The Grammy ratings were down considerably this year. From the Variety article on the topic.

The 63rd Annual Grammy Awards, hosted by South African comedian Trevor Noah and boasting powerhouse performers Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, BTS, Billie Eilish, Post Malone and https://variety.com/...-thee-stallion/"%5DMegan Thee Stallion%5B/url%5D, drew a scant audience for CBS.

The primetime ceremony had an impressive lineup featuring over 22 musicians, including Bad Bunny, Black Pumas, Cardi B, Brandi Carlile, Mickey Guyton, Haim, Brittany Howard, Miranda Lambert, Lil Baby, Chris Martin, John Mayer, Maren Morris and Roddy Ricch.

Maybe the lineup wasn't as impressive or as much of a powerhouse as they made it out to be. There was certainly no performer I cared to see, and while I'm not their target audience, I can't imagine there were hundreds of millions of others that didn't want to see this crap either.

The Grammy's have always sucked. Statistically I think people just don't care to tune in to live TV like events anymore, and that's probably why viewership is especially down. Quite a few of those performers I know and like or love: Chris Martin, John Mayer, Billie Eilish, Brittany Howard. I've enjoyed a bit of what I've heard from Miranda Lambert, Roddy Rich, and even Harry Styles as well. The Grammy's have got plenty of very relevant popular current musicians, so no I don't think the problem is who they're getting to perform. Could it be that the age of the internet is finally running out whatever semblance of goodwill people had left for the institution, the way they operate, and especially who they nominate and choose each year? I think that's more likely the case.

• Like 4

Brandi Carlile was invited to sing a tribute during the memorial section and kicked ass. She has a fantastic voice. :) Didn't watch much of the rest of it as I dont listen to much pop or rap.
  • Like 3

Oh and extra proof the Grammy's suck. Rush got nominated for best rock instrumental performance (you know, the one category where it would seem like Rush would probably win nearly every time) like six times... and the never won once. Looking through all the songs that won out over Rush over the years, I noted exactly one that really had a good case for winning over Rush: Eric Johnson's Cliffs Of Dover which beat out Where's My Thing?

They also got nominated for a grammy for Beyond The Lighted Stage, but they lost that one to When You're Strange, a documentary about The Doors.

Rush got nominated for best rock instrumental performance (you know, the one category where it would seem like Rush would probably win nearly every time) like six times... and the never won once.

So they won 5 times? Why you complaining?

:moon:

Rush got nominated for best rock instrumental performance (you know, the one category where it would seem like Rush would probably win nearly every time) like six times... and the never won once.

I don't think they won any

• Like 1

I don't think they won any

I was just having some fun with the english language.

• Like 4

, Billie Eilish, Post Malone and https://variety.com/...-thee-stallion/"%5DMegan Thee Stallion%5B/url%5DThe primetime ceremony had an impressive lineup featuring over 22 musicians, including Bad Bunny, Black Pumas, Cardi B, Brandi Carlile, Mickey Guyton, Haim, Brittany Howard, Miranda Lambert, Lil Baby, Chris Martin, John Mayer, Maren Morris and Roddy Ricch.

I have never even heard of any of those people with the exception of Trevor Noah. I am pretty sure he is the unfunny guy who replaced Jon Stewart on the daily show.
  • Like 1

Because some of us have taste in music. They've been dead to me since Celine Dion beat Smashing Pumpkins, Beck and Fugees for AOTY. They've become full on Disney pop simps.

I'm not a listener of Celine Dion.

However I researched her 1996 recording Falling Into You, which won Album of the Year at the 39th Grammy Awards - 1997, which beat out the above mentioned.

In defense, this probably helped raise the profile of two other fellow Canadians such as Aldo Nova and Dan Hill, since they wrote, performed, and produced songs for the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJGZpwgtts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oV298uEZxA

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

, Billie Eilish, Post Malone and https://variety.com/...tallion/"]Megan Thee Stallion%5B/url%5DThe primetime ceremony had an impressive lineup featuring over 22 musicians, including Bad Bunny, Black Pumas, Cardi B, Brandi Carlile, Mickey Guyton, Haim, Brittany Howard, Miranda Lambert, Lil Baby, Chris Martin, John Mayer, Maren Morris and Roddy Ricch.

I have never even heard of any of those people with the exception of Trevor Noah. I am pretty sure he is the unfunny guy who replaced Jon Stewart on the daily show.

If you're serious, you should get out more. Not that you have to like any of their music but to not even heard of them, especially John Mayer, Cardi B, and Miranda Lambert, makes it seem like you're a hermit. But, maybe you are. IDK.

Edited by Fordgalaxy

, Billie Eilish, Post Malone and https://variety.com/...tallion/"]Megan Thee Stallion%5B/url%5DThe primetime ceremony had an impressive lineup featuring over 22 musicians, including Bad Bunny, Black Pumas, Cardi B, Brandi Carlile, Mickey Guyton, Haim, Brittany Howard, Miranda Lambert, Lil Baby, Chris Martin, John Mayer, Maren Morris and Roddy Ricch.

If you're serious, you should get out more. Not that you have to like any of their music but to not even heard of them, especially John Mayer, Cardi B, and Miranda Lambert, makes it seem like you're a hermit. But, maybe you are. IDK.

How does going out more get you to know who these artists are? I don't understand that at all. If you don't like that kind of music, you're not all of a sudden going to know them just because you are going out more.

• Like 5

How does going out more get you to know who these artists are? I don't understand that at all. If you don't like that kind of music, you're not all of a sudden going to know them just because you are going out more.

Yeah I guess the people I know don't like that shit either or maybe its more along the lines of this, I would never be friends with people who listen to pop music crap. :)
  • Like 2

You're not missing a goddamned thing.

• Like 1

Its amazing how much shit you steer clear of when you give up your television. I have no idea what is going on in pop culture and the ignorance is bliss!!
  • Like 1

They also got nominated for a grammy for Beyond The Lighted Stage, but they lost that one to When You're Strange, a documentary about The Doors.

As much as I love The Doors, BTLS was superior.

If Before the End is ever released, that will probably beat the Rush documentary for me.

• Like 1

Its amazing how much shit you steer clear of when you give up your television. I have no idea what is going on in pop culture and the ignorance is bliss!!

I watch plenty of television and don't encounter any of this shit, except during commercials during sporting events. Which is more than enough to know the Grammys we're a dumpster fire.

Yeah I guess the people I know don't like that shit either or maybe its more along the lines of this, I would never be friends with people who listen to pop music crap. :)

First of all, not all pop music is crap. Queen was pop. ELO was pop. Steven Wilson has made pop music. Second of all, reading magazines, news papers, social media, etc would typically expose one to them. You ever watch SNL? The news? Commercials?

Chris Martin is from Coldplay. I'd bet you've heard of them.

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 2

Get BTS the f**k out of the Grammy's and into the dumpster fire and I'll be able to breathe normally

I used record the Grammys and the Oscars every year and then watch so I could skip the commercials. For about the last 3 years they have been almost unwatchable but I hung in there until this year. Watching Billie Ellish win over Lizzo and H.E.R. last year was it for me. Anything with her and Cardi B in it is not worth bothering with :smash:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1