Prog rock duo Crown Lands pay tribute to Rush on new tracks

I listened to their debut album today and musically it’s really good. Vocally it kinda rubs me the wrong way especially when he gets up into the higher part of his register. He’s going for Geddy/Plant but it ends up sounding more like the Greta Van Fleet guy. Like these guys way more than GVF though. Still think they’ve got a lot of talent and it’s a good thing that a band that sounds like this is getting some buzz/attention.

I have heard a fair amount of the earlier work. I like it in general. Vocally. He reminds me of the singer for The Mars Volta?

I created a pandora channel for them. The second song was zeppelin and fourth song was greta van fleet. Thumbs down. After hours of listening no rush yet. Not that it matters but to me its interesting.

Just listened to both those videos. Quite good, limited by being a duo?

Yeah - what's their deal live? I'm a bit confused by one "live" video I've seen which only shows the two of them, but plays in slow motion with no sound...?

The live videos are good.

The guitarist mentions in the interview i posted that mike rutherford as an influence playing guitar ,bass and pedals.

I think its a good read.

I like him playing the bass and guitar on a double neck and actually may prefer that to what the 8 string players are doing.

Its my understanding that guys like tosin abasi from animals as leaders can play both bass and guitar with 8 strings.

Edited by tangy

Just listened to both those videos. Quite good, limited by being a duo?

Yeah - what's their deal live? I'm a bit confused by one "live" video I've seen which only shows the two of them, but plays in slow motion with no sound...?

The live videos are good.

The guitarist mentions in the interview i posted that mike rutherford as an influence playing guitar ,bass and pedals.

I think its a good read.

I like him playing the bass and guitar on a double neck and actually may prefer that to what the 8 string players are doing.

Its my understanding that guys like tosin abasi from animals as leaders can play both bass and guitar with 8 strings.

0_THP_CHP_250221Slug_12823JPG.jpg

Yeah, lots of easter eggs there, along with the suspended chords or whatever they're called. I don't care for the sound of those toms, though.

The oversized 80s Geddy Lee glasses are amusing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCimXv5LzcY

He's great Pat, but I don't like his chemistry in DT. Give me the Kevin Moore Days. I like Derek more as well.

Earl where the f**k are you hiding??

I missed this thread when it was active.

Today I was looking through CBC music and the "q" radio show with Tom Power and saw Crown Lands.

I was all set to post about them, but did a forum search first. :clap: They are already discussed!

What I like about their sounds is that they don't try to exactly replicate Rush, they really just worked themselves to a level of ability that they can sound prog-Rush like.

Wonderful success story for two young Canuck musicians - good for them!!

I missed this thread when it was active. And also when it was re-activated.... and it's taken a while for news to filter down to the US, eh?

A friend recently tipped me off on this band and I've been checking out their stuff. Very cool! Obvious Rush influence; though I think they make it uniquely their own. The singer/drummer's voice definitely reminds me of Cedric's (The Mars Volta) and that dude from Greta Van Fleet (The song "Sun Dance" is an overt Zeppelin reference...) It's a strange thing with young bands that so overtly wear their influences - but I feel ok with the Rush-yness of this one. Because it's a duo, they can't try to reproduce a Freewill-like whole band solo - so, they almost have to be more creative. Also, they are not "Shredders" so they can't fall into the trap that so many Rush "Tribute" type bands do - with excessive wanketry. This gives their songs a more organic feel - not a Berklee grad tying to create the most insane 11/8 band solo wank-off - but capture the classiness of Rush songs. (contrary to what some may think, Rush was never about excessive shredding!)

As for the drum sound, I'm not that bothered by it - in fact, it better captures Neil's early concert tom sound than Neil did with his "El Darko" kit! I will always prefer the sharp attack of the Tamas on "Moving Pictures" to the overly-resonant round sound of the DW's in the later works... to me, his drum sound is somewhere in-between but definitely more attack with the higher pitched toms.

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 1:49 PM, thizzellewashington said:

New 18-minute single off their album out in March. Sounds a lot like Rush. Killer stuff

Yeah - these guys are great! 

This song in particular.... has a bit of Didacts and Narpets in it.  A surprise, but a welcome one for sure.

Play loud for maximum effect.