THE ONLY SPAM THREAD v.25

That One Guy

10 members have voted

1. 1. When did TRF chatroom get taken down?

• May 1st
    • "This year"

"The grid won't possibly be able to handle most people slowly adopting EVs over the next 20 years"

"Yeah I suppose between 1970 and 2000 rates of A/C penetration in homes went from like 0% to 80%, and the grid didn't blow up"

7 hours ago, That One Guy said:

"The grid won't possibly be able to handle most people slowly adopting EVs over the next 20 years"

"Yeah I suppose between 1970 and 2000 rates of A/C penetration in homes went from like 0% to 80%, and the grid didn't blow up"

Coffee grinders, too.  How do thosee three compare in relative power draw?

55 minutes ago, goose said:

Coffee grinders, too.  How do thosee three compare in relative power draw?

I don't care if a coffee grinder draws a full 1875W from a standard 15A outlet on the edge of tripping a breaker, it operates for 10-15 seconds a day, lol. Per google,

A/C in a typical US home draws about 4 kW during use. Use is typically during hottest times of daylight, when everything else also tends to be running, exacerbating issues. IIRC, everyone blasting A/C at once is how places like L.A. tend to temporarily overwhelm their power grids.

A level 2 home charger for an EV, for those that aren't satisfied with slower level 1 charging, draws 3 kW - 19kW, depending on just how fast you're trying to home charge. Many EVs intelligently support throttling charging rates (something my gf works on for a living in the tech sector) through opt-in programs to help the grid, and can support charging only during user specified times, such as low-grid-load times like 11pm-5am. Level 2 charging is fast enough for most owners to wake up every day with a full pack of range, without ever hitting a fueling station outside of road trips, for a fraction of gasoline cost. It's an interesting factoid that most EV owners actually spend less time refueling/charging than gasoline vehicle owners, thanks to charging at home a majority of the time (of course, at the moment, this wonderful functionality is really only in its stride for people with private off street parking like single family homes, duplexes and some townhomes).

I'm buying a new low-tech 4Runner to ride out this last awkward ICE technology age before EVs are fully sorted out, but man, I'll be excited for the day they're good enough that my picky ass buys one. If I was a crossover buyer, that day would already be here. As a $50k 4x4 offroad SUV buyer, the market doesn't offer options for me yet.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I don't care if a coffee grinder draws a full 1875W from a standard 15A outlet on the edge of tripping a breaker, it operates for 10-15 seconds a day, lol. Per google,

A/C in a typical US home draws about 4 kW during use. Use is typically during hottest times of daylight, when everything else also tends to be running, exacerbating issues. IIRC, everyone blasting A/C at once is how places like L.A. tend to temporarily overwhelm their power grids.

A level 2 home charger for an EV, for those that aren't satisfied with slower level 1 charging, draws 3 kW - 19kW, depending on just how fast you're trying to home charge. Many EVs intelligently support throttling charging rates (something my gf works on for a living in the tech sector) through opt-in programs to help the grid, and can support charging only during user specified times, such as low-grid-load times like 11pm-5am. Level 2 charging is fast enough for most owners to wake up every day with a full pack of range, without ever hitting a fueling station outside of road trips, for a fraction of gasoline cost. It's an interesting factoid that most EV owners actually spend less time refueling/charging than gasoline vehicle owners, thanks to charging at home a majority of the time (of course, at the moment, this wonderful functionality is really only in its stride for people with private off street parking like single family homes, duplexes and some townhomes).

I'm buying a new low-tech 4Runner to ride out this last awkward ICE technology age before EVs are fully sorted out, but man, I'll be excited for the day they're good enough that my picky ass buys one. If I was a crossover buyer, that day would already be here. As a $50k 4x4 offroad SUV buyer, the market doesn't offer options for me yet.

Another decade and they'll make sense for a lot of people.

I wonder if we will we have addressed the Kobalt mining humanitarian crisis by then. 

The King's Speech could've easily been a PG movie.

Instead, a 10 second barrage of f-bombs and a later 5 second barrage of cuss words were added, lol