THE ONLY SPAM THREAD v.25

That One Guy

10 members have voted

1. 1. When did TRF chatroom get taken down?

• May 1st
    • "This year"

73% of California Dems approve of the high speed rail project. 25% of Republicans do. 

Why are yokels against trains? Prefer the pain in the ass nature of driving a truck everywhere?

12 hours ago, That One Guy said:

73% of California Dems approve of the high speed rail project. 25% of Republicans do. 

Why are yokels against trains? Prefer the pain in the ass nature of driving a truck everywhere?

Maybe the yokles are tired of reading about the high speed rail boondoggle in the newspaper three times a month. We in the USA have an infrastructure spending problem, we get little for our dollars.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnRogers said:

Maybe the yokles are tired of reading about the high speed rail boondoggle in the newspaper three times a month. We in the USA have an infrastructure spending problem, we get little for our dollars.

That’s because we’re addicted to car infrastructure. Asphalt roads are a very cost ineffective way to move people. I designed a 6000ft long new road that just opened this year. All in it cost about $6M. And it’ll require expensive occasional maintenance eternally. Roads bankrupt areas. Transit generates wealth. 

22 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

That’s because we’re addicted to car infrastructure. Asphalt roads are a very cost ineffective way to move people. I designed a 6000ft long new road that just opened this year. All in it cost about $6M. And it’ll require expensive occasional maintenance eternally. Roads bankrupt areas. Transit generates wealth. 

Long distance passenger rail is a waste.  Bang for buck,, CA should focus on intra-urban projects

1 hour ago, goose said:

Long distance passenger rail is a waste.  Bang for buck,, CA should focus on intra-urban projects

I think of the transportation system as a whole. One of the most useless things I see is the notion of sub-1 hour flights. Those distances should not be traveled in the air. 

Inner core small projects are indeed the best return on investment. But that doesn’t mean larger projects don’t have immense value. California will have an even more insane level of wealth if they get a high speed connection between LA and SF established. It’s been rocky so far but they’re on track to eventually get there. Sucks how hard it is to build a train here. European countries have not struggled as hard to get it done. 

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think of the transportation system as a whole. One of the most useless things I see is the notion of sub-1 hour flights. Those distances should not be traveled in the air. 

Inner core small projects are indeed the best return on investment. But that doesn’t mean larger projects don’t have immense value. California will have an even more insane level of wealth if they get a high speed connection between LA and SF established. It’s been rocky so far but they’re on track to eventually get there. Sucks how hard it is to build a train here. European countries have not struggled as hard to get it done. 

Says who? Maybe I'm too plugged into evil oil and rubber media but I'm hearing it's basically at a stand still. Some infrastructure pieces funded will be finished but that's it. There is no budget to finish it. Why are are mid-size and big infrastructure projects in the USA nearly always over budget and very late? My understanding about Europe jives with yours, add the Middle-East and Asia. 

Agreed on your first paragraph.

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Europe's had it from the get go, and again, they don't have the distance issues we have.  Short flights are great, imo, and Europe uses them a lot.  

i had to drop $115 on my car for maintenance, and $117 on my credit card debt. I'm thankful that I had the money to do so, at least.

Edited by jamie

Has anyone here done temp work, or known someone who has? I've been considering doing temp work to get by over the next year and a half. I want to mostly look for office jobs, maybe some light janitorial work (that's what my boyfriend is doing right now), anything that my fibromyalgia can handle. My boyfriend moved in with my parents, my brother and I almost 2 months ago. We have until April 2024 to live in this house, then the owner would like to sell it, and I doubt my parents will be in a position to buy it. Our biggest goal right now is saving up money to move out by then, so go time is literally right now lol. After struggling with money over the last 4 months, things have gotten better, but I only make $16/hr at my part time job at Portillo's. Assuming that I get at least 25 hours a week, I can pay my bills, but that's about it. I need to work full time, but I just can't do that at at a restaurant as a disabled person. 

My coworker makes $30/hr at her office job at Kaiser, I think she transfers/answers calls? I don't remember, I didn't see her yesterday. She said that I could apply as a temp since 3 women in the behavior health department are going on maternity leave back-to-back.

• Like 1

I'd be willing to keep my job at Portillo's if I don't get a full time temp position. It would be good job security if I feel like I need it, as I can always ask for more hours. My boss is also a huge Rush fan, and I'm definitely on his good side, so that rules.

11 hours ago, jamie said:

My coworker makes $30/hr at her office job at Kaiser, I think she transfers/answers calls? I don't remember, I didn't see her yesterday. She said that I could apply as a temp since 3 women in the behavior health department are going on maternity leave back-to-back.

obviously go for this, and be on the lookout for more temp office/WFH jobs. graveyard shift janitorial work on top of another regular labor job will burn you out, try to make a shift to an office if that's what you like. plus a temp job always has the possibility of becoming full-time work with luck 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 8:20 AM, JohnRogers said:

Info on the project:

"The system was to be operational by 2020, for a cost of about $34 billion. Too date, the cost has escalated to about $105 billion, just for the 520-mile Los Angeles–San Francisco leg. "

Lol

17 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I like listening to King Crimson live records. Absent Lovers is a standout.

best version of Sleepless on that one, i love listening to their 80's stuff the most often even though i would consider their 90's work my favorite

On 11/20/2022 at 12:15 PM, JohnRogers said:

Says who? Maybe I'm too plugged into evil oil and rubber media but I'm hearing it's basically at a stand still. Some infrastructure pieces funded will be finished but that's it. There is no budget to finish it. Why are are mid-size and big infrastructure projects in the USA nearly always over budget and very late? My understanding about Europe jives with yours, add the Middle-East and Asia. 

Agreed on your first paragraph.

The nature of the beast. Guys like me prepare project cost estimates before they go to bid. The bigger the project, the longer it will take to construct, the more room for uncertainty there is, and the higher the likelihood the estimate will be significantly off. Far from a rail only problem, brutally expensive highway projects often run drastically over budget too (and there's no better way to get poor value for money than try to move everyone long distances in single occupant cars). Over multiple year (or several year) projects, prices escalate, unforeseen situations result in expensive change orders, a lot happens. My 2020 $4.5M estimated road cost over $6M and was completed nearly a year late. A city parking lot redo I designed was estimated and bid at $350k, and the contractor has since secured over $200k in change orders and counting. Shit does indeed happen. A recession should help material price wars f**k off, though.

55 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The nature of the beast. Guys like me prepare project cost estimates before they go to bid. The bigger the project, the longer it will take to construct, the more room for uncertainty there is, and the higher the likelihood the estimate will be significantly off. Far from a rail only problem, brutally expensive highway projects often run drastically over budget too (and there's no better way to get poor value for money than try to move everyone long distances in single occupant cars). Over multiple year (or several year) projects, prices escalate, unforeseen situations result in expensive change orders, a lot happens. My 2020 $4.5M estimated road cost over $6M and was completed nearly a year late. A city parking lot redo I designed was estimated and bid at $350k, and the contractor has since secured over $200k in change orders and counting. Shit does indeed happen. A recession should help material price wars f**k off, though.

I appreciate the explanation, how come this doesn’t seem to effect the Europeans?