THE ONLY SPAM THREAD v.25

That One Guy

10 members have voted

1. 1. When did TRF chatroom get taken down?

• May 1st
    • "This year"

18 minutes ago, goose said:

brave new world > 1984

It's definitely more accurate, 1984's lost ground these past couple decades while brave new world has gained it. sex as a means to control (huxley) rather than repressed away (orwell), citizens being global rather than national and emotionless automatons (huxley) rather than brainwashed nation slaves (orwell)

lastly surveillance has fallen into the hands of mob-rule / chaos way more than it should ever have IMO, both brave new world/1984 present it to be more authoritarian and top-down than it really has played out in our reality. maybe that will change later

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

It's definitely more accurate, 1984's lost ground these past couple decades while brave new world has gained it. sex as a means to control (huxley) rather than repressed away (orwell), citizens being global rather than national and emotionless automatons (huxley) rather than brainwashed nation slaves (orwell)

lastly surveillance has fallen into the hands of mob-rule / chaos way more than it should ever have IMO, both brave new world/1984 present it to be more authoritarian and top-down than it really has played out in our reality. maybe that will change later

Yep.  No need to use force, just pour money into messaging through infotainment and let us amuse ourselves to death.

One thing Huxley absolutely nails is controlling the masses via the manipulation of morality rather knowledge, and that the former should never be based on reason.  

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:31 AM, That One Guy said:

I don’t have $48,000 lying around on my end

If you were a red blooded American gear head with $50K to spend what GT type of car would you buy? This car must offer a manual transmission and some fresh air roof option.

41 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

If you were a red blooded American gear head with $50K to spend what GT type of car would you buy? This car must offer a manual transmission and some fresh air roof option.

An acceptable choice in that arena would be a new manual 5.0 Mustang GT convertible. That 5.0 sings, and throws down about the same power as the Dodge 6.4L.

Keep in mind there are few convertibles sold these days, let alone manual transmission ones. These wants greatly limit options.

Jeep Wrangler is an option. The JL manual drives waaay better than the old dumptruck TJ/JK manuals. Also, Ford Bronco while we're at it.

As you're aware, Mazda Miata remains an option. 40,000 miles later I still adore this car, it's truly special and a triumph of engineering. Not good for large Americans, though.

You can get some used Porsche Boxster in that range, I guess. A known associate spent $45k last year on a 2013 Boxster with a 6-speed and a 2.7L. Not what I would call good value though.

Edited by That One Guy

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

An acceptable choice in that arena would be a new manual 5.0 Mustang GT convertible. That 5.0 sings, and throws down about the same power as the Dodge 6.4L.

Keep in mind there are few convertibles sold these days, let alone manual transmission ones. These wants greatly limit options.

Jeep Wrangler is an option. The JL manual drives waaay better than the old dumptruck TJ/JK manuals. Also, Ford Bronco while we're at it.

As you're aware, Mazda Miata remains an option. 40,000 miles later I still adore this car, it's truly special and a triumph of engineering. Not good for large Americans, though.

You can get some used Porsche Boxster in that range, I guess. A known associate spent $45k last year on a 2013 Boxster with a 6-speed and a 2.7L. Not what I would call good value though.

I forgot late model used is acceptable. I have secretly considered the Mustang, I enjoyed my convertible rentals. I miss my Wrangler Rubicon but I don't consider that a GT in any way. I still think about the Fiat Spider Abarth, then I remember how my wife packs on road trips.

1 minute ago, JohnRogers said:

I forgot late model used is acceptable. I have secretly considered the Mustang, I enjoyed my convertible rentals. I miss my Wrangler Rubicon but I don't consider that a GT in any way. I still think about the Fiat Spider Abarth, then I remember how my wife packs on road trips.

The automatic Fiat 124 Abarth I "accidentally" rented in spring 2018 is still one of my favorite car experiences I've ever had. That car exuded feelings of special constantly, making a turbocharged 1.4L's exhaust sound that good was previously thought to be impossible. And the automatic kept the engine in boost and on boil.

Used car prices are tanking. If the maintenance is kept up, there could really be some deals in the coming months.

If you haven't driven a 5.0 V8 Mustang, they're a different breed to the EcoBoosts. A hardtop manual V8 at $40,000 new is a steal for what you get.

If you're really rolling in it, manual convertible or targa used 911's are an option too.

Try on some of the flappy paddle options, many of them are absolutely stellar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BastillePark said:

Did you see Toyota has a GR (Gazoo Racing? wtf?) Corolla that pumps out 300 hp from a 3 cylinder engine? 

The power per liter is ridiculous. A friend is on a waiting list for one, but it’ll be yeaaars until his number will come up.