Jack's Latest Misadventure!

Jack Aubrey

Hey folks! You'll never guess what happened to me!

My wife and I had to have our kitchen floor replaced due to extensive water damage. It was getting so bad that we were cracking the floor tiles as we walked on it so we contacted Handyman Connection (and they have locations in several states and provinces so if you need any work done on your house, contact them, they do great work). Anyway, the technician had been coming over for about 3 days and had to leave in the mid morning to go help his wife whose car had died on the highway. Before he left, he briefed me on which parts of the floor I should avoid. Well, wouldn't you know it, I apparently missed the part where he said "in front of the fridge". So about 20 mins. later I get thirsty and decide to stroll into the kitchen for a water. Right when I stepped in front of the fridge, the particle board just gave out like it was made of tissue paper. I wound up "sinking" up to my belly and bashed my ankle against some kind of support. I hauled myself out of the hole and when I'd caught my breath, tried to get to my feet ("tried" is our operative word, here)! Well, I was about halfway up and put my left foot under me it just said "nuh-uh" and pain hit so hard I thought I was gonna literally pee myself. So I went to my Doc who referred me to get an xray and also to an ortho. My poor wife gets a nomination for sainthood for hauling my busted behind all over town to get this stuff done. Well,I get to the ortho and they look up my xray and showed me where I had cracked my fibula on the diagonal about an inch above my ankle so currently I'm on crutches and in a walking boot and under orders to stay off of it as much as possible. So that's the news from me for now and I hope and pray that all of you are uninjured!

Thanks for reading.

• Like 4

Almost forgot: There were no apparent leaks in any of the pipes under the house so the plumbers we called said it was due to condensation (welcome to the Southeast, right? Where the humidity averages about a thousand percent!) What they wound up doing was "encapsulating" our entire crawlspace in plastic and also installed a dehumidifier and they said it would take care of things. I reckon we'll see.
  • Like 1

Almost forgot: There were no apparent leaks in any of the pipes under the house so the plumbers we called said it was due to condensation (welcome to the Southeast, right? Where the humidity averages about a thousand percent!) What they wound up doing was "encapsulating" our entire crawlspace in plastic and also installed a dehumidifier and they said it would take care of things. I reckon we'll see.

Jeez that sounded painful and I hope your ankle heals soon....if its any consolation I managed to fall through our loft ceiling a few months ago and broke my coccyx....still abit sore.

We have a lot of humidity too though our temperatures are a lot lower than yours!.....what you've had done sounds like what we'd call "tanking" and it should work pretty well.

• Like 1

My sympathies and do heal up. Those of you that live in very humid parts of the world also have my sympathy.

Look the whole "but it's a dry heat" thing about Vegas is pretty cliche', but it's also true. Give me 115 in Vegas over 85 with 90% humidity in New Orleans any time.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 2

You'll never guess what happened to me!

Why did the words Penthouse Forum pop into my head just now?

• Like 5

Hey folks! You'll never guess what happened to me!

My wife and I had to have our kitchen floor replaced due to extensive water damage. It was getting so bad that we were cracking the floor tiles as we walked on it so we contacted Handyman Connection (and they have locations in several states and provinces so if you need any work done on your house, contact them, they do great work). Anyway, the technician had been coming over for about 3 days and had to leave in the mid morning to go help his wife whose car had died on the highway. Before he left, he briefed me on which parts of the floor I should avoid. Well, wouldn't you know it, I apparently missed the part where he said "in front of the fridge". So about 20 mins. later I get thirsty and decide to stroll into the kitchen for a water. Right when I stepped in front of the fridge, the particle board just gave out like it was made of tissue paper. I wound up "sinking" up to my belly and bashed my ankle against some kind of support. I hauled myself out of the hole and when I'd caught my breath, tried to get to my feet ("tried" is our operative word, here)! Well, I was about halfway up and put my left foot under me it just said "nuh-uh" and pain hit so hard I thought I was gonna literally pee myself. So I went to my Doc who referred me to get an xray and also to an ortho. My poor wife gets a nomination for sainthood for hauling my busted behind all over town to get this stuff done. Well,I get to the ortho and they look up my xray and showed me where I had cracked my fibula on the diagonal about an inch above my ankle so currently I'm on crutches and in a walking boot and under orders to stay off of it as much as possible. So that's the news from me for now and I hope and pray that all of you are uninjured!

Thanks for reading.

Well don't leave us hanging!! Did you ever get that drink of water?
  • Like 2

Thank all of you SOOOOO MUCH for the beautifully kind well wishes! I am now about 90% healed, the Doc said I could actually stop wearing the ortho brace if I wanted to, so I am now closing out my 1st full week without it!! It still hurts if I am on my feet longer than 5 or so hours, but the pain is very manageable and goes away when I sit down and elevate it for an hour or so.

The Doc also said I'm one of the fastest healers he's ever seen, but don't worry, I won't let that go to my head!! :D

God Bless you good folks always!! Much love and big hugs!

Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 3

Thank all of you SOOOOO MUCH for the beautifully kind well wishes! I am now about 90% healed, the Doc said I could actually stop wearing the ortho brace if I wanted to, so I am now closing out my 1st full week without it!! It still hurts if I am on my feet longer than 5 or so hours, but the pain is very manageable and goes away when I sit down and elevate it for an hour or so.

The Doc also said I'm one of the fastest healers he's ever seen, but don't worry, I won't let that go to my head!! :D

God Bless you good folks always!! Much love and big hugs!

Great stuff!

This made me laugh:

“It still hurts if I am on my feet longer than 5 or so hours, but the pain is very manageable”

5 hours! Man you are a tough sonofagun.

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words, Tony! I appreciate them! How are you and your wife? Well, I hope.
  • Like 1

A few years ago, I was in my attic, running speaker wires, and I stepped on the end of a board, and it came up on me. Well, my feet landed between the joist, and on the drywall. Next thing I know, the drywall gives way, and the ceiling in the family room comes raining down. My right leg lands on the joist. Fortunately, nothing broken (except my ceiling), but the back of my thigh turned an interesting purple color. I have a friend who is an amazing carpenter, and you can’t even see where I came through. :)

glad you’re on the mend Jack.

• Like 1

I get thirsty and decide to stroll into the kitchen for a water. Right when I stepped in front of the fridge, the particle board just gave out like it was made of tissue paper. I wound up "sinking" up to my belly.....

"It's so terribly sad, how is it I feel like laughing?"

- "North by Northwest", directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Jack, it is only the facts that all seems to have turned out well, and the fact of our long-standing (if erstwhile) friendship that allows me to have fun at your expense. (And surely, I am also a bad bad man, but that's not important right now.)

My remaining questions:

Water?

Really?

Not something stronger?

Times like these call for (or at least suggest) stronger beverages.

Just say'n.

Edited by The Notorious B.S.G.
  • Like 1