Put Together Your Own Ten-Twelve Rush Song C.d., and Album List From 1977-1981 Peak Progressive Era

Derek19

Since there are threads for a synthesizer-oriented Rush song c.d., and album one from 1982-1987, which Treeduck (Pat) did, and possibly someone else did, too, and I've done one for their return to guitar-oriented one from 1989-1996, it made logical sense to have one for their peak progressive era one from 1977-1981, which are their c.ds, and albums "A Farewell to Kings", "Hemispheres", "Permanent Waves", and "Moving Pictures". Bonus songs are included, too. To be even more specific, people can have twelve Rush songs, and a bonus one, or eleven songs, and two bonus ones, too. Here is mine.

Cygnus X-1: Book One - the Voyage

Cygnus X-1: Book Two - Hemispheres

Natural Science

the Camera Eye

Xanadu

Jacob's Ladder

Vital Signs

Closer to the Heart

the Trees

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Ok I will play.....and these are what I feel are the 12 true cream of the crop from 77-81:

The Spirit Of Radio

Freewill

Jacobs Ladder

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

The Trees

Xanadu

YYZ

Natural Science

Entre Nous

Limelight

La Villa Strangiato

Bonus song - The Camera Eye

So yes....we left out Cygnus X1 and Hemispheres.....why? There are better songs on those albums. And Yes I only have one from A Farewell To Kings. And that is the epic Xanadu which to be is the crowning achievement of that great album. And on Hemishperes....The Trees and La Villa speaks volumes and are the best of that amazing album.

Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are in my opinion Rush’s two most perfect albums they ever made. I am talking the masterworks of their careers.

It is funny......for as many times as I have listened and heard Tom Sawyer......that song is still one of the most bad ass f***ing rock songs of all f***ing time. The opening riff......and of course the majestic bad assness of the riff when Geddy is singing “What you say about his company is what you say about society.....that is Rush at their absolute sonic peak.

Crazy.....but true. Tom Sawyer still get’s me fired up cranked to 11 to this day.

Red Barchetta and Limelight are about as perfect songs they have ever written and the same can be said of The Spirit Of Radio and Freewill.

And for prog master works I will take Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato, Jacobs Ladder and Natural Science as my absolute go to from that era. Precision song writing, prog masterpieces that have influenced an entire generation of prog musicians.

My dark horse song is Entre Nous. The more age this song has taken on.....the better and better it has become. A true unsung gem of a tune. When they busted this out on the Snakes & Arrows Tour (first leg 2007) I was almost in tears of joy.

YYZ......actually defined the band in the 80’s among musicians who were unfamiliar with this trio from the great white north. To this day a sizzling tour de force both technically and sonically.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Since there are threads for a synthesizer-oriented Rush song c.d., and album one from 1982-1987, which Treeduck (Pat) did, and possibly someone else did, too, and I've done one for their return to guitar-oriented one from 1989-1996, it made logical sense to have one for their peak progressive era one from 1977-1981, which are their c.ds, and albums "A Farewell to Kings", "Hemispheres", "Permanent Waves", and "Moving Pictures". Bonus songs are included, too. To be even more specific, people can have twelve Rush songs, and a bonus one, or eleven songs, and two bonus ones, too. Here is mine.

Cygnus X-1: Book One - the Voyage

Cygnus X-1: Book Two - Hemispheres

Natural Science

the Camera Eye

Xanadu

Jacob's Ladder

Vital Signs

Closer to the Heart

the Trees

the Spirit of Radio

(Bonus song: Tom Sawyer)

That wouldn't fit on one CD

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

Circumstances

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Natural Science

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Bonus: Cygnus X-1: Book Two - Hemispheres

I don`t care that it looks like a compilation designed to get a mate into Rush :laughing yellow guy:

Circumstances

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Natural Science

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Bonus: Cygnus X-1: Book Two - Hemispheres

I don`t care that it looks like a compilation designed to get a mate into Rush :laughing yellow guy:

Looks like a fantastic Rush album to me. To me it is more about the songs than the length of the song.

Rush made that great transition on Permanent Waves and more so on Moving Pictures being able to play incredible but compact it into under 6 minutes and have great melodies and riffs. The songs simply got much better 1980-1987 for my taste.

Don’t get me wrong. I love to listen to Hemispheres all the way through as it is my 2nd favorite Rush album ever. But it is not a “hey let’s pop on some Rush” kind of album. It is one for a longer drive lol.

Your album has 2 outstanding epics in Natural Science and La Villa. And the bonus track of Hemispheres.

Hell mine had those 2 plus Jacobs Ladder, Xanadu and the bonus track of The Camera Eye.

The side long epics for me simply don’t make the cut above the incredible songs they wrote during the 77-81 era. They really went to a new level of songwriting vs being too self indulgent. And even the epics out did Hemispheres in Xanadu, Natural Science, Jacobs Ladder and even the Camera Eye.

2112 is a different animal. That is a side long epic for the all time greatest of side long epics LOL.

If someone asked me “I hear Rush are incredible musicians and write these long songs so which one should I listen to?” I would immediately play them La Villa Strangiato from Exit Stage Left.

That is all they need to hear to know who Rush really is in that vein.

If they asked for a song with vocals The Spirit Of Radio may be the greatest tune they ever wrote.

Seriously.

It has it all. Pop, Prog, Fun, Power......it is all wrapped up neatly inside that 4:56 song length.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

Xanadu

Closer To The Heart

La Villa Strangiato

Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Natural Science

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Bonus: Circumstances

Hidden track: Tom Sawyer

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 3

OK .... possibly a double CD ... 12 tracks plus 2 bonus tracks -

A Farewell To Kings

Xanadu

Closer To The Heart

Cygnus X-1 Book 1

Cygnus X-1 Book 2

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit Of Radio

Jacobs Ladder

Natural Science

Limelight

YYZ

Freewill (Bonus)

Tom Sawyer (Bonus)

• Like 1

Is it possible to fit 12 songs from this era on 1 vinyl LP, or even one 80 minute CD? Let's find out!

Side A

1. The Spirit Of Radio

2. Cinderella Man

3. The Trees

4. Witch Hunt

5. Jacob's Ladder

Side B

1. Limelight

2. Entre Nous

3. Closer To The Heart

4. YYZ

5. Circumstances

6. Different Strings

7. Vital Signs

Clocks in at 55 minutes total, just about at the edge of vinyl possibility (thank you Genesis for always having long albums and squeezing them on). Side A has a long song so it has one fewer than side B, which makes up for it with a super short song.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 4

10-2, no order:

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

Limelight

Witch Hunt

Natural Science

Different Strings

The Spirit of Radio

Xanadu

La Villa Strangiato

#1: Vital Signs

Bonus: Cygnus X-1, Book One.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

These are not necessarily all of my favorites, but I am trying to compose something that could fit on a CD.

A Farewell to Kings

Xanadu

Closer to the Heart

​Hemispheres

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Permanent Waves

The Spirit of Radio

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Natural Science

Moving Pictures

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Circumstances-Bonus

Freewill-Bonus

• Like 1

A short setlist.

TSOR

Limelight

AF2K

Freewill

Analog

YYZ

Subdivisions

Red Barchetta

Jacob's Ladder

Xanadu

C-X1

LVS

• Like 1

So tough to leave so many off.

These will fit on a CD.

A Farewell to Kings

Xanadu

Hemispheres

Circumstances

Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Natural Science

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

• Like 1

The Spirit of Radio

Limelight

Freewill

Red Barchetta

The Trees

Xanadu

A Farewell to Kings

Closer to the Heart

Jacob's Ladder

YYZ

Tom Sawyer

La Villa Strangiato

Sub The Camera Eye for Freewill and I'm onboard.

• Like 1

If they asked for a song with vocals The Spirit Of Radio may be the greatest tune they ever wrote.

I disagree. In that song, his vocal is in too high a register. It spikes into the famous chipmunk wail that turned off listeners over the decades.

Once Ged lowered down to chest voice, he sounded a lot more attractive to most casual listeners, e.g. non-fans.

You can hear the change starting with HYF and thru Counterparts.

My vote for his best melodic vocal performance is either Time Stand Still or The Pass. He had some good moments on MP and Signals too.

Edited by Weatherman

I disagree. In that song, his vocal is in too high a register. It spikes into the famous chipmunk wail that turned off listeners over the decades.

Once Ged lowered down to chest voice, he sounded a lot more attractive to most casual listeners, e.g. non-fans.

My vote for his best melodic vocal performance is either Time Stand Still or The Pass. He had some good moments on MP and Signals too.

If you cannot love Spirit Of The Radio......you ain't no f***ing Rush fan.

If someone told me....Phew.....no way after listening to that majestic Rush song.....piss off. This band is not for you, you weak minded simpleton. Go listen to the soothing sounds of Barry Manilow.

LOL!!

Edited by Todem

If you cannot love Spirit Of The Radio......you ain't no f***ing Rush fan.

If someone told me....Phew.....no way after listening to that majestic Rush song.....piss off. This band is not for you, you weak minded simpleton. Go listen to the soothing sounds of Barry Manilow.

LOL!!

Read my comment again, and you'll see that's not what I said.

Spirit of Radio is a great song, but Geddy's done better vocally.

The Spirit of Radio

Limelight

Freewill

Red Barchetta

The Trees

Xanadu

A Farewell to Kings

Closer to the Heart

Jacob's Ladder

YYZ

Tom Sawyer

La Villa Strangiato

Sub The Camera Eye for Freewill and I'm onboard.

Freewill got the edge for its universal appeal.