Official NASCAR thread

Fordgalaxy

I'm just glad the season is over. I don't know, just seemed boring af this year, and I'm not holding out much hope for next year. Get some of these no talent hacks out of the broadcast booth and off the air.

Brad Keselowski's move to Roush comes with a stake in the ownership of the team, and a rebranding of Roush Fenway Racing to Roush Fenway Keselowski Racing. Hopefully his involvement will help to elevate RFK Racing to a top tier team again.

...In other news, Kyle Busch Motorsports is set to announce a name change to Sirhan Sirhan Motorsports.

• Like 1

I didn't see a 2022 NASCAR thread and I'm not starting one since it seems interest has waned but I wanted to let the gentle readers know the apocalypse is upon us. First they raced on Easter and now they're racing on mama's day. WTH is going on? 

21 hours ago, BastillePark said:

I didn't see a 2022 NASCAR thread and I'm not starting one since it seems interest has waned but I wanted to let the gentle readers know the apocalypse is upon us. First they raced on Easter and now they're racing on mama's day. WTH is going on? 

It started with the Next Junkeration cars.  Whoever allowed those pieces of dogshit on the track should be shot.  Thank God hockey was being shown simultaneously yesterday.  I was afraid I would be forced to watch Formula 1, which was playing out barely 5 miles from my house.

There was a 6 or 7 year period where I watched every lap of every race, both  pre-race shows, both post-race shows, the Monday night wrap up show and even drove 13 hours to go to the 1st "Car of Tomorrow" race at Bristol. I could name all 43 drivers and the teams they drove for and their primary sponsor.  Now I don't even look to see if a race is on.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:48 AM, pjbear05 said:

It started with the Next Junkeration cars.  Whoever allowed those pieces of dogshit on the track should be shot.  Thank God hockey was being shown simultaneously yesterday.  I was afraid I would be forced to watch Formula 1, which was playing out barely 5 miles from my house.

They have Father's Day off now, though!

Xfinity Series at Nashville on USA, with The Screaming Mimis of NBC.

They got in about 5 seconds before I hit the Mute and engaged the CC.

Line the lot of them against the wall and finish it-especially that insufferable turd Rutledge Wood.

https://abc7.com/bobby-east-nascar-driver-fatal-stabbing-orange-county-westminster-police-department/12056003/

Not a follower of the sport but this hits close to home for it's location.  My dad used to take me to a billiards place in the same block this happened when i was 12 and 13 years old since he lived in Garden Grove nearby.  Truth be told, I saw Joe Carter's world series winning home run on TV live at the billiards place on that weekend when I had turned 13 that month.  I had a week off 7th grade a week earlier because of chicken pox, unrelated to all this.

That aside, unfortunate that it happened.  RIP

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Gibbs cars finishing #1 and #2 (the #11 and #18) in Pocono disqualified, Elliott declared winner.

That's a shame....

:laugh:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Gibbs cars finishing #1 and #2 (the #11 and #18) in Pocono disqualified, Elliott declared winner.

That's a shame....

:laugh:

Just heard that on the 11 pm news.  We had watched the race and then turned it off- missed the exciting part I guess!    I hope we end up getting details about why they were disqualified instead of just losing points and fined. I know it was something to do with the front of the cars but . . .they haven't disqualified a win since the 1960s

Edited by blueschica

I loathe Toyota in NASCAR.

I'd like to say this is a totally rational position; but I'm not sure it it is. The 'rah rah America' portion of my psyche has taken a beating in the past decade; so this still feels like a good output for that resentment. That being said, the Toyota influence in NASCAR began with cheating. The Michael Waltrip jet fuel scandal showed what Toyota was up to from their first moment;s in the sport. As a company, they never appreciated the rivalry and camaraderie between the American manufacturers; and they broke the unspoken rules of NASCAR competition. Again and again, they prioritized things like team-orders and cutthorat gamesmanship over a contest of speed and consistency.

There is a culture to Toyota in NASCAR. It is deeply centralized, orchestrated toward maximizing opportunity, and efficient to a fault. It lacks the soul and depth of the classic GM and Ford rivalries. (And Chrysler- you're legendary in NASCAR, please come back)  Toyota may be doing everything right; but they just don't belong. We should continue to resist them; even though they may withstand it. Even winning strategies need practice adapting to resistance.

Toyota sucks, but they're here. All I can do is root against them. I'm not going to apologize for that.

On 6/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, edhunter said:

There was a 6 or 7 year period where I watched every lap of every race, both  pre-race shows, both post-race shows, the Monday night wrap up show and even drove 13 hours to go to the 1st "Car of Tomorrow" race at Bristol. I could name all 43 drivers and the teams they drove for and their primary sponsor.  Now I don't even look to see if a race is on.

That was me up to where they turned it into a ball sport. 2017? Haven't watched a race in years. I gave Talladega a passing thought this year, but didn't. 

Hell, it took me this long to get here to read this post.

On 11/12/2022 at 1:14 AM, KenJennings said:

I loathe Toyota in NASCAR.

I'd like to say this is a totally rational position; but I'm not sure it it is. The 'rah rah America' portion of my psyche has taken a beating in the past decade; so this still feels like a good output for that resentment. That being said, the Toyota influence in NASCAR began with cheating. The Michael Waltrip jet fuel scandal showed what Toyota was up to from their first moment;s in the sport. As a company, they never appreciated the rivalry and camaraderie between the American manufacturers; and they broke the unspoken rules of NASCAR competition. Again and again, they prioritized things like team-orders and cutthorat gamesmanship over a contest of speed and consistency.

There is a culture to Toyota in NASCAR. It is deeply centralized, orchestrated toward maximizing opportunity, and efficient to a fault. It lacks the soul and depth of the classic GM and Ford rivalries. (And Chrysler- you're legendary in NASCAR, please come back)  Toyota may be doing everything right; but they just don't belong. We should continue to resist them; even though they may withstand it. Even winning strategies need practice adapting to resistance.

Toyota sucks, but they're here. All I can do is root against them. I'm not going to apologize for that.

A guy I went to high school with once said something about seeing a Toyota pace car "turns my stomach" but he was more coming rom the Japan (foreigner) angle. He was a Marine too, take that for what it's worth.

There's a lot of money in NASCAR these days and I'd guess teams and owners want as much of it as they can get, even if it means skirting the rules or even breaking them and hoping they don't get caught.

14 hours ago, Fordgalaxy said:

A guy I went to high school with once said something about seeing a Toyota pace car "turns my stomach" but he was more coming rom the Japan (foreigner) angle. He was a Marine too, take that for what it's worth.

There's a lot of money in NASCAR these days and I'd guess teams and owners want as much of it as they can get, even if it means skirting the rules or even breaking them and hoping they don't get caught.

Toyota has also made inroads in NHRA, particularly in Top Fuel and Funny Car.  But surprisingly not in Pro Stock, which is odd, as being strong in that class would better play into the old saying "win on Sunday, sell on Monday".  Otoh, they could be making a play in other disciplines (F1, IMSA, etc.).

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Official NASCAR thread

OK, enough!

After that bore last night called the Crapman's Series truck race and the current crash fest known as the (F)ARC(E)A series, I'm calling it now.  NAS(TY)CAR 2023 is lining up to be a shit show.

Sure hope Smoke does better in his TAD-can't wait for Gainesville.

Edited by pjbear05
Spelling

5 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

OK, enough!

After that bore last night called the Crapman's Series truck race and the current crash fest known as the (F)ARC(E)A series, I'm calling it now.  NAS(TY)CAR 2023 is lining up to be a shit show.

Sure hope Smoke does better in his TAD-can't wait for Gainesville.

If the races on Saturday were 1% as bad as the Clash, I won't be watching.  The Clash was completely unwatchable.

• Haha 1

The race in Chicago yesterday was kind of interesting and something happened that hasn't happened in about 60 years of racing. On his first start in the NASCAR cup series a New Zealander by the name of Shane van Gisbergen won the race. 

• Like 1