Chick Corea RIP 1941-2021

RushFanForever

Glad to see this posted here. It shows me that not all members on here are just metal heads, hard rock and classic rock fans and some at least can appreciate other kinds of music. Anyway, I saw RTF back in 2008 and it was a great show. Chick Corea was a great jazz/fusion keyboardist and one of the best. RIP Chick.
  • Like 4

So sorry to see this news today. RTF was such a huge influence on me, then The Electric Band and so many other projects Chick was involved in. What an amazing musician and person! Rest In Peace Chick Corea ❤️
  • Like 3

f**k! Chick is absolutely my favourite keyboard wizard and probably my favourite jazz player and composer. He seemed really healthy and doing great, performing his piano stuff on his youtube channel last year, giving lessons and practising. I was certain he'd last until he was about 100, late 90's at least :(

Yep, I've listened to a lot of his stuff since the '80s. Return To Forever, Elektric Band, etc. Even if you were into music but weren't into jazz or fusion you've probably heard of him. Huge loss for the music world.

Are you guys fuckking kidding me? I just found out about this after watching a Chris Holmes Rockumentary.

I had to sign in Pat because I know your love and passion for Chick. Same. I have every Japanese pressing by Chick. A LEGEND.

"In A Silent Way" 1968. The year I was born.

I was lucky enough to see the Return To Forever gig in SF. Blew my mind.

I was really lucky to see the Chick Corea Elecktric Band at Yoshi's in Oakland. Another reunion. I was front row in front of Weckl's kit.

It was so cool when Chick did his keytar solo. I stood up and raised the devil horns. He came over to me with a huge smile on his face and nodded at me.

Also I was air drumming all night to Weckl.

After the gig the guys all came out to bow. I yelled... "GOOD LUCK IN JAPAN!" That was where they were heading next.

Dave run up to me and gave me his drumsticks.

I was floating on air with tears in my eyes.

Everyone was coming up to me telling me how lucky I was.

A few months later I contacted Dave's manager and told her to thank him for the sticks as I was a drummer.

Anyway, Chick is the greatest keyboard player who ever lived. Sorry Herbie. Sorry Wakeman. Sorry Keith. Sorry Geddy. (what a joke)

Thank God I saw Chick twice.

RIP!

The "Romantic Warrior" is gone. One of the greatest albums on the Earth.

Not to mention my favorite.... Chick Corea Elecktric Band... 1986

• Like 9

I am so sad to hear this, evidently this was a rare type of cancer and it hit him quick. Rick Beato had a tribute to him on YouTube so that's how I found out. Return to Forever was fantastic, had actually been listening to Romantic Warrior over the last month or so. Wow, he had 23 Grammys and was up for another this year. I had my musical horizons opened by Chick and found other musicians because of him; Al DiMeola, Stanley Clark, Flora Purim and Jean Luc-Ponty to name a few.

Listening to Light as a Feather, so wonderful. RIP :rose:

• Like 5

I saw the newer version of Elektric Band at my college in 1993. Gary Novak on drums, and only Chick and Marienthal as original members. Maybe 20 people in a theater that could hold 1000. My school supposedly had a good music department too. Totally embarrassing.

The band were just f***ing unbelievable. I will never get fusion-it’s so mysterious to me. But I love listening to it. Especially when it’s presented with just so much intensity.

• Like 3

f**k! Chick is absolutely my favourite keyboard wizard and probably my favourite jazz player and composer. He seemed really healthy and doing great, performing his piano stuff on his youtube channel last year, giving lessons and practising. I was certain he'd last until he was about 100, late 90's at least :(

Yep, I've listened to a lot of his stuff since the '80s. Return To Forever, Elektric Band, etc. Even if you were into music but weren't into jazz or fusion you've probably heard of him. Huge loss for the music world.

Are you guys fuckking kidding me? I just found out about this after watching a Chris Holmes Rockumentary.

I had to sign in Pat because I know your love and passion for Chick. Same. I have every Japanese pressing by Chick. A LEGEND.

"In A Silent Way" 1968. The year I was born.

I was lucky enough to see the Return To Forever gig in SF. Blew my mind.

I was really lucky to see the Chick Corea Elecktric Band at Yoshi's in Oakland. Another reunion. I was front row in front of Weckl's kit.

It was so cool when Chick did his keytar solo. I stood up and raised the devil horns. He came over to me with a huge smile on his face and nodded at me.

Also I was air drumming all night to Weckl.

After the gig the guys all came out to bow. I yelled... "GOOD LUCK IN JAPAN!" That was where they were heading next.

Dave run up to me and gave me his drumsticks.

I was floating on air with tears in my eyes.

Everyone was coming up to me telling me how lucky I was.

A few months later I contacted Dave's manager and told her to thank him for the sticks as I was a drummer.

Anyway, Chick is the greatest keyboard player who ever lived. Sorry Herbie. Sorry Wakeman. Sorry Keith. Sorry Geddy. (what a joke)

Thank God I saw Chick twice.

RIP!

The "Romantic Warrior" is gone. One of the greatest albums on the Earth.

Not to mention my favorite.... Chick Corea Elecktric Band... 1986

:cheers: :(

• Like 1

Shocked and saddened to learn of this yesterday.... I feel fortunate to have seen him in concert twice with Return to Forever. Huge fusion influence. RIP Chick
  • Like 3

It shows me that not all members on here are just metal heads, hard rock and classic rock fans and some at least can appreciate other kinds of music.

Given how busy the music Chick Corea made tended to be, it makes sense that fans of that music appreciate what he did.

I am eternally grateful I saw him in 2011. RIP.

• Like 1

Unlike many other greats, he lived to record for many decades and we're blessed with a huge and wide ranging catalog. The breadth of his recordings ensures he'll be enjoyed and studied (likely) forever.

With any luck we're covered for the next couple decades with the next phenom starting to spread his wings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkUtaDhXKMU

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

Akoustic Band Live one of the first (likely THE first) pure Jazz disc I owned. STILL own!

Insane he's 75 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-gA2pYa_N4

I went on eBay last night and found the double cd SHM Japanese pressing live. I bought three.

I can't believe how old Dave looks.

Every musician I grew up with is getting old and/or passing away. So sad.

"Don't Fear The Reaper."

• Like 1

Yesterday, Erich Zawinul (the middle son of the late Weather Report keyboardist Joe Zawinul) passed on from COVID-19 confirmed by a post on the official Weather Report Facebook page here. He was 54.

It appears that Erich followed in his father's musical footsteps with becoming a percussionist according to his bio on discogs here.

Erich is credited with performing on the Weather Report live album 8:30 (1979) where he played percussion on the song 'Brown Street' and being involved on Joe's solo recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr3i-aJKAt0

Edited by RushFanForever

Chick Corea and The Foo Fighters performed together at the 2004 Grammy Awards.

They did the Foos song 'Times Like These'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoof7TqXVCw&fmt=18

On a side note, Corea and Herbie Hancock performed concerts together in which they released a live album in 1978 titled

. Edited by RushFanForever

Chick Corea and The Foo Fighters performed together at the 2004 Grammy Awards.

They did the Foos song 'Times Like These'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoof7TqXVCw&fmt=18

On a side note, Corea and Herbie Hancock performed concerts together in which they released a live album in 1978 titled

Yeah I have that one.