What are the most important albums of all time in terms of production, sound quality, technology, recording, etc?

Entre_Perpetuo

Tommy

Because it was a concept/rock opera album, the original LP was configured with sides 1 and 4 on one disc, and sides 2 and 3 on the other,

to accommodate record players.

• Like 1

Tommy

Because it was a concept/rock opera album, the original LP was configured with sides 1 and 4 on one disc, and sides 2 and 3 on the other,

Stackable!
  • Like 1

Tommy

Stackable!

Remember those days!

I

Edited by custom55

Yes - Talk

It's not an album that gets brought up a lot since it was a bit of a commercial flop compared to 90125 and Big Generator, but there was a fair bit of technological envelope pushing going on. It was, to my understanding, one of the earliest albums where the majority of the recording was done random access digital with computer-based hard disk recording. At his home studio, Trevor Rabin set up four Macintosh IIci computers running MOTU Digital Performer software that were synced together, getting four tracks of hard disk audio from each for a total of 16 tracks...which sounds incredibly primitive today, but back in 1992/93 when Talk was recorded, that was a fairly new and exciting thing. He was a bit ahead of the curve and trying to do that probably a bit before the tech was really ready. Apparently there was a lot of back and forth between Rabin and the guys from MOTU with feature requests, shaping the software into something he could actually get it done with.

I remember during the Rockline premiere of the album, when talking about how it was done with hard disk recording, the host asked him, "So do you think this is the future of Yes?" He replied, "I think it's the future of the recording industry. Tape is on its way out." Indeed.

So yeah, this recording an album on a home computer thing that everybody takes for granted now, Rabin was one of the first to do it with Talk.

• Like 2