Your current top 5 rush albums

Red3angel

Surprised how many of you DON'T put 2112 down.

That album made them as a band, and other than the finale of side 1, the entire album is gold.

My five (kinda in rough order):

1. Moving Pictures

2. Signals

3. 2112

4. Presto

5. Hold Your Fire

Honorable Mention: PW. It might make the list on a different day.

• Like 1

Today's top five:

Hemispheres

Grace Under Pressure

Clockwork Angels

Power Windows

Moving Pictures

The others that often rotate into that five:

Permanent Waves

Signals

A Farewell to Kings

Roll the Bones

Counterparts

All the others contendbut probably wouldn't make it, except the debut.

It's dead last and will never rise a single rung.

And even that album is a keeper.

My List at the moment (1 and 2 are permanent for me)

5. Signals (sorry to insult the prog elitists)

4. 2112

3. A Farewell to Kings

2. Hemispheres.

1. Permanent Waves

Though, there is something redeeming about every Rush album (even my bottom 5).

• Like 1

It's always The Hallowed 5 (circa '76-81):

1. Moving Pictures

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. Permanent Waves

5. A Farewell To Kings

Five most listened to/appreciated in the last year:

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Clockwork Angels

• Like 1

Grace Under Pressure

Moving Pictures

Counterparts

Hemispheres

Clockwork Angels

You are the ONLY poster here who has chosen an album from FOUR different decades of the band's existence.

Yes, I'm bored tonite.

• Like 1

One problem with making these kind of lists is the problem of averages.

It doesn't measure the variance.

For example:

Presto: Has no variance. A consistently good level of song writing, let's say 8 of 10. Very little variance up or down. No surprises.

Hemispheres: Has more variance. La Villa is a perfect 10, but Cygnus and Circumstances are a 5.

Permanent Waves: Has the most variance. Ranges from brilliant (Spirit of Radio is a 10) to annoyingly bad (Natural Science is a 3).

You may disagree with my ratings, fine, but I think you see what I'm driving at.

It's probably better to take polls on songs rather than albums.

Edited by Weatherman

For example:

Presto: Has no variance. A consistently good level of song writing, let's say 8 of 10. Very little variance up or down. No surprises.

Hemispheres: Has more variance. La Villa is a perfect 10, but Cygnus and Circumstances are a 5.

Permanent Waves: Has the most variance. Ranges from brilliant (Spirit of Radio is a 10) to annoyingly bad (Natural Science is a 3).

You may disagree with my ratings, fine, but I think you see what I'm driving at.

I actually started a spreadsheet where I was rating each song to get the album average (as one does as a nerdy Rush fan). Must finish it.

I'm surprised by your ratings but then I don't hold some of Moving Pictures in the same high regard that the majority do too.

In particular, your Cygnus rating is interesting because I heard that it was a classic before I heard it and then when I did, I was underwhelmed. Yes, it was odd, weird and clever but it was just too odd for me to really like it. But as time has gone by, I've come to love it.

But you simply cannot argue with people's preferences - art is subjective. Well you can try and argue...

For example:

I actually started a spreadsheet where I was rating each song to get the album average (as one does as a nerdy Rush fan). Must finish it.

I'm surprised by your ratings but then I don't hold some of Moving Pictures in the same high regard that the majority do too.

In particular, your Cygnus rating is interesting because I heard that it was a classic before I heard it and then when I did, I was underwhelmed. Yes, it was odd, weird and clever but it was just too odd for me to really like it. But as time has gone by, I've come to love it.

But you simply cannot argue with people's preferences - art is subjective. Well you can try and argue...

I believe that "prog ears" are a real phenomenon and you can gain them and/or lose them as life goes on.

I gained mine at age 16 but lost them in my 30s.

It's why the proggiest Rush songs sound annoying to me now. The weirdo part of Natural Science is one great example. So is Freewill because of the unnecessary switching between 6/8 and 7/8 in the verses (plus Geddy matching his vocal to his bassline).

So yeah, I agree that art is subjective, but it's fun to figure out the objective reasons for people's subjective opinions.

Edited by Weatherman
  • Like 2