Atomic Rooster - How do you like them? Are you a fan?

treeduck

Atomic Rooster  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of Atomic Rooster?

• Yes I am, I own all their albums
    • No, not good enough for me
    • Yes I have their first three albums
    • Never heard of them!
    • I know of them but never heard any of their music
    • Not really my kind of thing to be honest
    • I have one album and I like it, I might be interested in exploring them further
    • Not proggy enough for me
    • Not metal enough for me
    • Too dark for me
    • Not developed enough for me or Rushgoober, who thinks they're too dark too
    • They are my number 1 band
    • Yes, they're a top 10 band of mine
    • Yes they're one of my favourites
    • Carl Palmer is overrated and I think he only plays on three tracks
    • I saw a RUSHHEAD666 thread about this band in 2012, that's all I know. Earl loves them.
    • I don't care about this band
    • Carl Palmer was better in ELP
    • Carl Palmer was better in Asia
    • Carl Palmer was better in Emerson, Lake & Powell...and he wasn't even in it!
    • Carl Palmer was better with Arthur Brown
    • Carl Palmer was last seen on Love Beach with Earl Ramer!

Checking out the first album right now. Pretty cool so far.

Pretty odd album cover. What do you call a bird like that...? It doesn't look like a rooster, even an atomic one.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Checking out the first album right now. Pretty cool so far.

Pretty odd album cover. What do you call a bird like that...? It doesn't look like a rooster, even an atomic one.

I think it's some kind of abstract design, I could be wrong though.

I picked the option 'I have their first 3 albums' although in my case it is their first 4 albums.

Realistically after album number 4 the quality of their material decreased substantially.

Not the easiest of bands to quantify as they had fairly drastic changes in personnel over their career with the lynchpin being Vincent Crane on the mighty Hammond organ.

Whilst album #1 features Carl Palmer, personally it would not be my favouriite of the first four albums.

First four albums ranked (IMO) from best to least -

1. Death Walks Behind You. Easily their best work - dark, heavy and featuring their breakthrough hit Tomorrow Night.

2. In Hearing Of Atomic Rooster. In similar vein to Death Walks. Listen to the version which contains 1971 single Devil's Answer.

3. Atomic Rooster. Very much driven by Hammond organ with jazzy and psychedelic leanings. An understandable stepping stone for Palmer(who left to join ELP after this release).

4. Made In England. The addition of Chris Farlowe on vocals added a slightly more soulful, funky sound to the band. (A bit like when Glenn Hughes joined Purple).

If you like the real retro, Hammond driven sound that a lot of new bands are now emulating, Atomic Rooster are well worth investigating.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

I had their Death Walks Behind You album back in the early 70's. I didn't go any further with the band's music as there was too much amazing music being released from other bands.

This is the album cover I owned.

50907341173_84241bd358_o.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

I had their Death Walks Behind You album back in the early 70's. I didn't go any further with the band's music as there was too much amazing music being released from other bands.

This is the album cover I owned.

50907341173_84241bd358_o.jpg

When it was released in the US they decided to use alternative artwork.... perhaps the original was deemed too gloomy???

Whilst it is a pretty cool 'steam-punk' rooster, I think the original artwork is more in keeping with the album.

• Like 1

Atomic Rooster----Sleeping for Years-----The Studio Recordings 1070-1974. really cool collection.

I just looked this up - It seems to be a really comprehensive collection. Nice artwork also.
  • Like 1

My older cousin had one of their records, I thought they sounded pretty cool. Years later I bought a BBC comp of theirs. I like it. So many really good semi-known/semi obscure hard rock/prog rock bands from the early seventies. Captain Beyond/Lucifer's Friend/Skid Row (the Irish version)/May Blitz and the list goes on. They are bands that corporate classic rock radio haven't embraced but that's my version of rock radio. All the great classic stuff we know so well but incorporating Atomic Rooster as well.
  • Like 3