Has Alex played a PRS electric regularly?

matthewpartrick

I know he has a PRS signature acoustic, but when I tried to figure out if he has a PRS electric that he commonly plays, I could only see Gibsons for the most part in the post-2000 era.

Anyone that can weigh in on this?

Thanks in advance!

I know he has a PRS signature acoustic, but when I tried to figure out if he has a PRS electric that he commonly plays, I could only see Gibsons for the most part in the post-2000 era.

Thanks in advance!

He played PRS electrics pretty hard in the 90's up to the R30 tour. I think he went back to full-time Gibson on the Snakes tour.

• Like 1

Thanks in advance!

He played PRS electrics pretty hard in the 90's up to the R30 tour. I think he went back to full-time Gibson on the Snakes tour.

Great thx. Any idea what model, Custom 24, +/- tremolo?

Thanks in advance!

Some brief googling says he used the CE24, and because he's Alex Lifeson you can be sure there was a tremolo and that it was heavily used.

Edited by The Analog Cub

Thanks in advance!

Some brief googling says he used the CE24, and because he's Alex Lifeson you can be sure there was a tremolo and that it was heavily used.

Yep, CE24, which is a bolt-on neck model. They're not as expensive as the core models, but they did the job just fine for Alex.

If been looking at PRS a lot lately, and trying to get the lay of the land.

Is the main difference between the CE24 and the Custom 24 the bolt on neck? It can't be just that. Those Core guitars are $4k at least, and the CE 24 is only 2k.

If been looking at PRS a lot lately, and trying to get the lay of the land.

Is the main difference between the CE24 and the Custom 24 the bolt on neck? It can't be just that. Those Core guitars are $4k at least, and the CE 24 is only 2k.

I think it's more than just that. Perhaps the CE's aren't made in Maryland. I honestly don't know.

While we're at it, I can see through video that Alex frequently used that white ES-335 through Moving Pictures, but I feel like by Grace Under Pressure and certainly by Hold Your Fire he had moved in the strat direction. I feel like the "Time Stand Still" video confirmed some Strat-ish guitar.

Edit I see the Rush Fandom link above, thanks a bunch :).

I think emulating a chambered ES-335 sound with a Les Paul might be a bit of a challenge. :)

Edited by matthewpartrick

This thread's making me go back and listen to R30 again. Fantastic show. Rio's got the energy and excitement, R30's got the production quality.

If only they'd put the whole set back into the audio version instead of cutting out some of the songs.

This thread's making me go back and listen to R30 again. Fantastic show. Rio's got the energy and excitement, R30's got the production quality.

If only they'd put the whole set back into the audio version instead of cutting out some of the songs.

I'm pretty sure they were at their live peak during R30.