Rush and Howard Stern

upstateNYfan

Apparently Howard isn't a Rush fan at all. While watching a clip of all the things during 2020 he "hates", he mentioned Rush. "I hate Rush. Even though people tell me I look like Geddy Lee." I'm paraphrasing but it's pretty close.

Surprised given his knowledge of music, his age and that's he's a bright guy. Last year they had a Bonham vs. Peart comparison with Lars Ulrich as guest and I don't believe Howard said anything negative at all.

His producer Gary is a huge fan, as are other staff. Seems like a curious disconnect.

https://www.youtube....GIdUUF9WgqY At :19

Apparently Howard isn't a Rush fan at all. While watching a clip of all the things during 2020 he "hates", he mentioned Rush. "I hate Rush. Even though people tell me I look like Geddy Lee." I'm paraphrasing but it's pretty close.

Surprised given his knowledge of music, his age and that's he's a bright guy. Last year they had a Bonham vs. Peart comparison with Lars Ulrich as guest and I don't believe Howard said anything negative at all.

His producer Gary is a huge fan, as are other staff. Seems like a curious disconnect.

Howard was very negative about Rush during the Bonham vs. Peart discussion. He said multiple times that he finds Rush's music to be "soulless". Howard does indeed hate Rush.

Gary (Bababooey) is not really a big fan of Rush. It's staffer Jon Hein who is the big Rush fan and he pushed back on Howard during the Peart vs. Bonham debate.

Another staff member, Richard Christy, who is a damn good metal drummer in his own right voted for Neil over Bonham.

• Like 1

I'm sure Rush doesn't give a fig about what Howard thinks. Just like he complained when Rush was inducted in 2013 to the RRHOF, he doesn't like their music but so what. Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

I'm sure Rush doesn't give a fig about what Howard thinks. Just like he complained when Rush was inducted in 2013 to the RRHOF, he doesn't like their music but so what.

He used the HOF induction to bash Rush and say that bands like Yes should have been in before them, but he also said that he thought they deserved to be inducted.

Different strokes and all that, but I'd wish the next time Rush comes up on the show that John Hein would argue that Howard should at the very least appreciate Rush in terms of how their early career looked very similar to what Howard himself went through. Not caving to pressure from management to be something they weren't and instead giving them an FU.

I also think that Howard is way out to lunch in terms of what his audience wants. I don't think that Ged or Alex would agree to an interview anyway, but I've heard him say before that his audience doesn't want to hear him interview Geddy Lee. He's so far off base with this assessment it's laughable. His audience is primarily 35-60 year old males! But yeah Howard, we want to hear you interview Cardi B and Katy Perry. Geddy or Alex would be an epic interview for him up there with McCartney or Plant.

Howard was very negative about Rush during the Bonham vs. Peart discussion. He said multiple times that he finds Rush's music to be "soulless". Howard does indeed hate Rush.

Gary (Bababooey) is not really a big fan of Rush. It's staffer Jon Hein who is the big Rush fan and he pushed back on Howard during the Peart vs. Bonham debate.

Another staff member, Richard Christy, who is a damn good metal drummer in his own right voted for Neil over Bonham.

Howard needs to watch Beyond The Lighted Stage. I think he would gain some appreciation for the band.

• Like 2

1) I think it's jealousy and 2) Howard Stern is not above just pulling a statement out of his butt to spark a conversation or provoke a reaction. He's famous for deliberately ribbing/berating/insulting people to get a frank interview.

Ha, what if his comments are a long con to get an interview out of the remaining members of Rush? It would be all upside for Stern, a ratings win and he can look like a "good guy" by giving the guys a platform for publicity after Peart's death.

Don't see him as a Rush fan and really, his taste in music, movies, and tv is really lame/dumb, it stands to reason he wouldn't appreciate quality like Rush. Not saying he's not an entertaining radio guy - just that his tastes in pop culture is blech

I don't see any relationship between the two at all.

I can't stand Howard Stern, but love Rush.

Some people hate both.

I don't think they occupy the same box, so people can like or dislike either without it being particularly remarkable.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 1