Hal Holbrook passes away age 95 - A Man has to know his limitations

treeduck

:rose: :rose: :rose:

What a massive, but understated talent.

95 years is a nice long life, but very sad nonetheless.

He was so good in everything he appeared in.

Loved him in "Midway", "Magnum Force", "The Firm", etc., etc.

One of my favourites was his role in "The Crate" from "Creepshow".

He he portrayed a beaten down, submissive husband where his fantasy of getting out takes a serendipitous turn.

Rest in peace, Mr. Holbrook and thank you for sharing your gift with the world.

:rose: :rose: :rose:

• Like 4

Very sad to hear. I always liked him. The role that always comes to mind first for me is brow-beaten Henry in Creepshow's "The Crate" story (IMO the highlight of the collection). "Just tell it to call you Billie!"

I was just remembering that my rather eccentric senior-year English teacher used to put on different audio tapes for us to listen to during quiet study time, and one of them was one of Hal's Mark Twain routines. Not something you'd expect a bunch of 17 and 18-year-olds to really appreciate, but I recall it got some laughs even from that tough audience.

• Like 1

Very sad to hear. I always liked him. The role that always comes to mind first for me is brow-beaten Henry in Creepshow's "The Crate" story (IMO the highlight of the collection). "Just tell it to call you Billie!"

I was just remembering that my rather eccentric senior-year English teacher used to put on different audio tapes for us to listen to during quiet study time, and one of them was one of Hal's Mark Twain routines. Not something you'd expect a bunch of 17 and 18-year-olds to really appreciate, but I recall it got some laughs even from that tough audience.

My favorite 80s horror movie. It's not the scariest but, damn, it's so fun to watch.

His Oscar nominated role:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U_GoiFy6kw

• Like 2

It`s a sign of a great career when everyone can name more than one film or role. For me it would be Magnum Force, All The President`s Men, and his excellent cameo in The Sopranos. He was in such a range of things and always delivered. RIP. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 3

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. I remember him, who was a good actor in great movies, and portrayed different, and interesting characters. He will be missed. R.I.P., Hal. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

Oh, man, another great one. Yeah, he'll always be Mark Twain to me.

RIP

I missed that one.

I recall him as the priest in The Fog and as the husband of Adrienne Barbeau in Creepshow.

He did a one-man show delivering a monologue as Mark Twain. I think he performed it hundreds (thousands?) of times over the years (and won a Tony).

• Like 1

His Twain was fabulous, he did numerous shows with different monologues, would just decide as he walked out which one he would do. The clip I posted earlier had one of Twain's funny and acerbic comments on man. Very appropriate to today.
  • Like 5

I was fortunate enough to see him in his one-man Mark Twain show about 16 or so years ago. He was a damn fine actor and we are diminished by his loss.
  • Like 2