Some days I hate my job

JARG

For the 17+ years I've been working at my company, IT has said, "all web apps must run in IE -- other browsers are not supported".

Microsoft has retired IE in favor of EDGE, so now IT says, "all web apps must run in EDGE -- other browsers are not supported".

This means I have to go through all the web pages I've built over the years and do what's needed to make sure they run in EDGE.

So, for example when I referenced a value from a dropdown list, in IE, I would use ddl.options.value; now all those occurrences have to be converted to ddl.value.

Today I stumbled on a new one:

var now = new Date();

var year = now.getYear();

Works fine in IE, but not in EDGE (2021 becomes 121), so now.getYear(); must be now.getFullYear();

And then to make matters worse, I have the user community to deal with as the tools are rolled out for testing.

Me:

"Please do a thorough test of the EDGE version of the tool.

Simply checking to see if you can access the tool in EDGE will not be a sufficient test.

Use it as if it were the only version of the tool you had available – because it will be."

User: "I was able to access the tool in EDGE."

• Like 9

For the 17+ years I've been working at my company, IT has said, "all web apps must run in IE -- other browsers are not supported".

Microsoft has retired IE in favor of EDGE, so now IT says, "all web apps must run in EDGE -- other browsers are not supported".

This means I have to go through all the web pages I've built over the years and do what's needed to make sure they run in EDGE.

So, for example when I referenced a value from a dropdown list, in IE, I would use ddl.options.value; now all those occurrences have to be converted to ddl.value.

var now = new Date();

Works fine in IE, but not in EDGE (2021 becomes 121), so now.getYear(); must be now.getFullYear();

And then to make matters worse, I have the user community to deal with as the tools are rolled out for testing.

Me:

Simply checking to see if you can access the tool in EDGE will not be a sufficient test.

Use it as if it were the only version of the tool you had available – because it will be."

The joys of IT!!! ...... I happily left all that stuff behind when my company offered me early retirement in Dec 2013. Life is much simpler now!
  • Like 3

var now = new Date();

Me:

The joys of IT!!! ...... I happily left all that stuff behind when my company offered me early retirement in Dec 2013. Life is much simpler now!

I envy you!

• Like 1

maybe remind them that the latest Edge is basically warmed over Chrome.

we run over 600 applications where I work in IT, many browser based. We simply couldn't afford to be browser Nazis since the applications largely dictate the browser. Been moving steadily to Chrome or Firefox and away from IE. In many cases, when we have problems running something in IE, it runs in Chrome without any issues. But we don't develop our own apps which adds a level of complexity.

Our little slice of hell is that we've shrunk to nearly half-staff since we can't find qualified candidates (that actually show up). So more work on everyone that's overworked already. We had 3 people accept offers to later turn them down.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

maybe remind them that the latest Edge is basically warmed over Chrome.

we run over 600 applications where I work in IT, many browser based. We simply couldn't afford to be browser Nazis since the applications largely dictate the browser. Been moving steadily to Chrome or Firefox and away from IE. In many cases, when we have problems running something in IE, it runs in Chrome without any issues. But we don't develop our own apps which adds a level of complexity.

Our little slice of hell is that we've shrunk to nearly half-staff since we can't find qualified candidates (that actually show up). So more work on everyone that's overworked already. We had 3 people accept offers to later turn them down.

I’m basically a team of one.

• Like 2

var now = new Date();

Me:

I envy you!

So which one of you is on envy island now? :huh:

• Like 2

var now = new Date();

Me:

I envy you!

In the words of well known '80s band Talk Talk ........ 'Life's What You Make It'
  • Like 1

var now = new Date();

Me:

I envy you!

:lol:

My own catch phrase being used against me. Oh the horror!

• Like 1

var now = new Date();

Me:

Me too. Retired in August 2014 and never looked back.

38 years in IT on Wall St. I did it just about every aspect of IT over the years.

Brutal but fun for 37 years. The last year was brutal and not fun so I bailed to maintain my sanity.

• Like 3

var now = new Date();

Me:

Me too. Retired in August 2014 and never looked back.

38 years in IT on Wall St. I did it just about every aspect of IT over the years.

Brutal but fun for 37 years. The last year was brutal and not fun so I bailed to maintain my sanity.

Your story sounds familiar!

I worked in IT for an Irish Bank. When the financial crash happened, the pressure on us became drastic.

Then the Bank offered retirement packages to shed it's long term staff. I jumped at the chance to end a career that once was dynamic and fun but in the end just became a warzone.

Opposite for me......I really liked my job (I was an Offshore Medic on a production platform) but was forced to take early retirement on ill health grounds about ten years ago......saying that, I don't have any trouble filling my time now that I'm a "Gentleman of Leisure"
  • Like 1

Opposite for me......I really liked my job (I was an Offshore Medic on a production platform) but was forced to take early retirement on ill health grounds about ten years ago......saying that, I don't have any trouble filling my time now that I'm a "Gentleman of Leisure"

It`s extremely likely that the second part of your post is my future. The leisure-time part is great, but I think I`d prefer better mental and physical health.
  • Like 1

If you hate your job only some days, that`s practically a dream job :16ton:

You're right, of course. Most days I love what I do. I sincerely look forward to doing the work.

• Like 1