New upcoming interview with Alex Lifeson - Jan 30, 2021

RushFanForever

From the Make Weird Music YouTube channel.

Alex Lifeson of Rush is one of the greatest rock guitar heroes of all time and we are so fortunate to have him for a live interview where we'll discuss the 25th anniversary of his solo album, Victor, and the 40th anniversary of Moving Pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrOdzTH1qWQ

Scheduled for Jan 30, 2021.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 14

January 9, 1996 is the release date of Victor and it's also Jimmy Page's birthday.

February 12, 1981 is the release date of Moving Pictures and it's also Steve Hackett's birthday.

Both Page and Hackett are influences on Lifeson.

For the Genesis fans, Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel's birthday's are a day apart from one another and are the same age.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 4

Oh my god, has it been 25 years since Victor?

Yeesh. I think I have the cassette of that around somewhere; maybe I should listen to it again before this interview. Or maybe I'll just listen to this interview.

I actually checked in here today specifically to see if anyone posted about this--the interview is being done by a very dear friend of mine, Andre, who is the same guy I mentioned back when Geddy played w/Yes at their RRHOF induction. He's worked for practically every prog rock hero either of us ever had as a tour manager or tech of some sort, and he's Steve Howe's guitar tech/let Geddy and Alex see all the iconic guitars Steve brought with him for the show/ceremony.

Last night he had a little facebook live broadcast with comments from the peanut gallery and we all sort of geeked out together over Alex, Rush and various memories of shows, being ripped off by scalpers, etc. He's as excited as any of us would be to do this interview, and probably as nervous too! I'm betting it's gonna be terrific, because Andre is so knowledgeable about everything this sort of an interview would entail. Don't expect the same questions everyone asks Alex and Geddy--I'm sure he'll get into some Rush-related rabbit hole, but he'll be also getting way into Victor and into Alex's head about everything from gear to creativity to Alex's heroes/influences and whatever else he can think of that no "So what's next for you and Geddy" type interviewer would get into. Rory Gallagher came up last night, for example--"hey didn't he open for Rush and Rush opened for him, and yada yada..."

I believe the interview will stay up on the youtube channel indefinitely if you don't catch it live.

Edited by HalfwayToGone
  • Like 3

I actually checked in here today specifically to see if anyone posted about this--the interview is being done by a very dear friend of mine, Andre, who is the same guy I mentioned back when Geddy played w/Yes at their RRHOF induction. He's worked for practically every prog rock hero either of us ever had as a tour manager or tech of some sort, and he's Steve Howe's guitar tech/let Geddy and Alex see all the iconic guitars Steve brought with him for the show/ceremony.

Last night he had a little facebook live broadcast with comments from the peanut gallery and we all sort of geeked out together over Alex, Rush and various memories of shows, being ripped off by scalpers, etc. He's as excited as any of us would be to do this interview, and probably as nervous too! I'm betting it's gonna be terrific, because Andre is so knowledgeable about everything this sort of an interview would entail. Don't expect the same questions everyone asks Alex and Geddy--I'm sure he'll get into some Rush-related rabbit hole, but he'll be also getting way into Victor and into Alex's head about everything from gear to creativity to Alex's heroes/influences and whatever else he can think of that no "So what's next for you and Geddy" type interviewer would get into. Rory Gallagher came up last night, for example--"hey didn't he open for Rush and Rush opened for him, and yada yada..."

I believe the interview will stay up on the youtube channel indefinitely if you don't catch it live.

Glad to hear. I'm really glad he's going to talk about Victor hopefully there will be a Victor 2, but I guess that's a question that might be answering. Starting this from the beginning now.

• Like 1

Hope you guys all liked that--you can watch it right in this thread now. Al looks great, and aside from some hard truths in there about hitting the road at his age/after so many years of doing it, in another year or two at the earliest, I thought it was refreshing to not hear stock questions, and get into the creative process, etc. Of course, Andre being a "roadie," there was a big nod to the Rush core crew who were there for the duration, and Alex's commentary was sweet and enlightening. I think Dre did a fine job of making it a unique and eye-opening interview for people sick of hearing the same old same old. Edited by HalfwayToGone
  • Like 1

Great to hear from Alex and looking so healthy,donning a superb hat.

Yeah from the logo does Al have interests in a weed company or something

Great to see the guy looking and sounding so well, and positive vibes re possible working with ged again. Just a small vibe enough these days

• Like 1

Why did I think this wasn't airing until 11pm? And I didn't know if that was eastern time, central time or what. I happened to take a look at the YouTube title page when it turned out to have 15 left to the interview. So I saw that much. Oh well. Maybe next interview, 25 years from now.

Why did I think this wasn't airing until 11pm? And I didn't know if that was eastern time, central time or what. I happened to take a look at the YouTube title page when it turned out to have 15 left to the interview. So I saw that much. Oh well. Maybe next interview, 25 years from now.

these videos are recorded and archived--just go to the top of the thread and watch the whole interview now or any other time you feel like it. it's not like TV in the pre-early 1970s.

• Like 1

This was very enjoyable - Alex seemed relaxed and happy to chat. Hopefully some new material (in some form) going forward.
  • Like 3

All I heard was blah blah blah blah. :drool:

Seriously, though, Alex seemed less ebullient than usual. Wonder why.

I can totally understand his reluctance to tour at age 67. Most of his peers feel the same way.

Idea: What if he and Ged did a Victor/My Favorite Headache tour? They could each play on each other's solo material.

• Like 1