"I Have Just Won One Billion Dollars...."

Principled Man

....said someone in Michigan.

1 chance of winning the Jackpot.

302,575,349 chances of not winning the Jackpot.

Easy peasy..... :laughing guy:

pile-of-money.jpg

• Like 4

For their sake, I hope they hire a good lawyer and accountant.

...and security detail.

And lots of guns, and a flame thrower. And a helicopter. And a burner phone.

First thing I'd do if I ever won millions in a lottery is buy a burner phone and give the lottery commission that phone number when I went in to claim my winnings. No way they get my real number, if at all possible. Imagine the onslaught of calls you'd get from charities and such. I'd donate plenty, but to charities and people that I researched on my own. I'd rather help directly, as opposed to giving $100,000 to some guy who sits behind a desk at United Way and saying, here, do something good with this.

• Like 5

They'll likely never have a moment of peace again in their life. Not sure I would want to deal with that curse.

Misery loves company, so I would share my misery with 39 other people. $25 million for each of us! :laughing guy:

Here we go again....

MegaMillions Jackpot:  $1,000,000,000.00

Madness!   :blink: :blink: :blink:

22 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Here we go again....

MegaMillions Jackpot:  $1,000,000,000.00

Cash Option after the Text Thieves get their cut is:  $600M

22 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Cash Option after the Text Thieves get their cut is:  $600M

This was something that chapped my ass hard during my time working for the Service. If you were lucky enough to win an excess amount of money in a gambling endeavor it was taxed, and if you had corresponding losses you had to be able to document it.  W-2G and all that accompnying bullshit..  I came across cases were taxpayers didn't have documentation to substantiate losses and ended up getting asessed.  Otoh I saw cases of "gamblers", guys whose income was totally derived on betting, primarily at the local horse and dog tracks.  Two such taxpayers were totally legit,  journals of their bets, wins losses, boxes of paperwork, etc.  We had nothing on them and "no changed" the cases.

• Like 1

I drove to Illinois and bought the winning ticket yesterday, but a bunch of dirty Bear fans mugged me!  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Principled Man said:

I drove to Illinois and bought the winning ticket yesterday, but a bunch of dirty Bear fans mugged me!  

As long as they didn't try to get you eat that casserole they call "pizza", you got away easy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fordgalaxy said:

As long as they didn't try to get you eat that casserole they call "pizza", you got away easy.

Big chucks of tomatoes and veggies…..it’s like a big tossed salad on top of toast!

On 7/29/2022 at 4:21 AM, pjbear05 said:

This was something that chapped my ass hard during my time working for the Service. If you were lucky enough to win an excess amount of money in a gambling endeavor it was taxed, and if you had corresponding losses you had to be able to document it.  W-2G and all that accompnying bullshit..  I came across cases were taxpayers didn't have documentation to substantiate losses and ended up getting asessed.  Otoh I saw cases of "gamblers", guys whose income was totally derived on betting, primarily at the local horse and dog tracks.  Two such taxpayers were totally legit,  journals of their bets, wins losses, boxes of paperwork, etc.  We had nothing on them and "no changed" the cases.

How interesting.

Years ago I met a guy who supported himself by being a pro gambler in Las Vegas, Nevada. It's harder than one may think that sort of lifestyle is........

I think I'll meander down to the Kwik Trip and get some tasty rotisserie chicken.....and a Powerball ticket.  :biggrin:   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Principled Man said:

I think I'll meander down to the Kwik Trip and get some tasty rotisserie chicken.....and a Powerball ticket.  :biggrin:   

How about I kick you in the balls and you give me the money?

But I do love the dream.

I’d like to think that my life wouldn’t change much, but I think my new job would be charity instead of what it is now.  I think it would take great discipline to not alter your life substantially.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoahLutz said:

I think it would take great discipline to not alter your life substantially.

One's personal character will decide how a huge windfall will alter his/her life - positively or negatively.  

As the late, great Frank Herbert once said, Power attracts the corruptible

If you have a strong moral center, you won't let all that money corrupt you, and you won't let corrupt people have their way with you.        

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 2:22 PM, Chicken hawk said:

Will you buy more tickets with that? haha

I actually do that quite a bit on small wins (under $10). But lately been dropping it on Mega Millions.  I ain't greedy, and hell, 154 mil (estimate for 11/8) would suit me just fine.

• Like 2