If You Could Throw Out Only THREE Rush Albums

_hi_water._

I wouldn't throw out any, proven by the fact I own them all.

But if we rephrase and suggest I MUST throw out three, then I'd lose these:

1: Rush.

If this was all they ever did I'd Newbery have bothered with them. Musically great, of course, but that's not enough. Working Man would appear on some 70's comp maybe.

2:Presto.

This makes me sad, because I like this album. But I was forced to choose, and it's the least of their good albums.

3: Test For Echo

Again, I was forced to choose. But this is also a good album. Just not as good as the rest.

• Like 1

Since there's so many who have passed on throwing out any, I'll borrow your choices and throw out Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts and Test For Echo.

Something went very wrong with you in the nineties.

;-)

• Like 1

Since there's so many who have passed on throwing out any, I'll borrow your choices and throw out Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts and Test For Echo.

Something went very wrong with you in the nineties.

;-)

Yes, I discovered Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains . . . ;)

• Like 3

Seems that the late 80s to present aren't memorable (to say the least) to most on the site.

I'd have to agree about the 90s but wouldn't throw them out unless forced too.

If we ignore Feedback then it would probably be similar to others:-

Presto

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Had a quick listen on the Spotty app again and reminded me that I still like them or at least some of the tracks.

Seems you're either in the hate the albums or "like them (at least a little) but agree they aren't Rush at the top of their game".

• Like 2

I don't usually get into these painful _hi_water._ polls (how awkward to have to choose between greatness and material the band members thought were great, where perhaps there is a difference in opinion). But...

Retrospective I

Retrospective II

The Spirit Of Radio - Greatest Hits.

Whew! :cheers:

• Like 2

Hold Your Nose

Presticle

Roll the Boner

As I remember during this time, I would still buy the albums, play them a few times and toss them into the pile never to be seen again.

• Like 2

Seems that the late 80s to present aren't memorable (to say the least) to most on the site.

I don't think that era is regarded quite that badly for most people, though certainly it is for some loud few. There are a number of us (like myself) who regard this period as probably their least great, but still really enjoy a lot of their output during those years, minus maybe an album or two. Also lumping CA in with T4E, RTB, or even Snakes isn't really a big habbit around here. Clockwork has its detractors but I'd argue most saw it then and still see it now as a big return to form and the best possible album they could've gone out on.

• Like 4

I don't think that era is regarded quite that badly for most people, though certainly it is for some loud few. There are a number of us (like myself) who regard this period as probably their least great, but still really enjoy a lot of their output during those years, minus maybe an album or two. Also lumping CA in with T4E, RTB, or even Snakes isn't really a big habbit around here. Clockwork has its detractors but I'd argue most saw it then and still see it now as a big return to form and the best possible album they could've gone out on.

I'd argue that the first era was the "worst" era.

The debut, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel -- two of the three albums are forgettable for most audiences. Very few Rush fans (outside of the most hardcore obsessed ones) were clamoring for a live Fountain of Lamneth.

The second-worst era -- the final old-man stage -- had better lyrics, better production values, and CA, which as you noted was a pretty decent return to form.

I'd argue that the first era was the "worst" era.

The debut, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel -- two of the three albums are forgettable for most audiences. Very few Rush fans (outside of the most hardcore obsessed ones) were clamoring for a live Fountain of Lamneth.

The second-worst era -- the final old-man stage -- had better lyrics, better production values, and CA, which as you noted was a pretty decent return to form.

Nah man, I'll take Fly By Night every day of the week over Roll The Bones, lol. But to each their own.

• Like 2

For me it is probably:

Test For Echo

Roll the Bones

Vapor Trails

With the (dis)honorable mention fringe pick of Presto

While I know that it is by no means a highlight on the Rush catalogue, I can't bear to put my precious Snakes & Arrows on the list of shame because it is the first Rush album I really latched onto as a 6 year old in the car with my dad. It was also the first Rush tour I saw live (yes, I saw Rush live at 7). The entire album is like a time capsule for me.

Edited by spaceaudity11
  • Like 2

I think their 21st century output got better and better. I would rate VT, S&A and CA higher than any album released after PoW in the 20th century. Maybe even P/G.

• Like 3

I'll add that it would be pretty surprising for a band around for 40 years not to have any dip in quality, particularly one that has such diversity. Power Up isn't as good as Back in Black, but how different are the 2 stylistically? Rush - AFTK - MP - HYF - T4E don't have that "consistency," in style. In the 21st century Rush returned to the PeW and MP "vibe" IMO.
  • Like 3

I think their 21st century output got better and better. I would rate VT, S&A and CA higher than any album released after PoW in the 20th century. Maybe even P/G.

I agree. But it's art so it's all subjective. I do like the last trio of albums and wonder why they get bashed by some people. When you say 'P/G' do you mean 'G/P'? Or have I missed something...

I agree. But it's art so it's all subjective. I do like the last trio of albums and wonder why they get bashed by some people. When you say 'P/G' do you mean 'G/P'? Or have I missed something...

The album artwork has P/G, or grace (G) under pressure (P) like a fraction would appear.

• Like 1

Gasp! Although if we slide that back to HYF, then I'm fully on board with this statement. Rush did some great work (maybe not whole albums -- they were all too long -- but all with moments) in the 21st C.

Clockwork has its detractors but I'd argue most saw it then and still see it now as a big return to form and the best possible album they could've gone out on.

I agree that there's a really great album in there, and with a little trimming it not too hard to find it. In fact, I think it's going to get some play today!

My vinyl-era edition Clockwork Angels tracklist:

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Carnies

5. BU2B2

6. The Garden

7. Headlong Flight

• Like 1

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Test for Echo

While Presto and Roll the Bones had some real clunkers (Superconductor and Neurotica), there are enough songs that I like so I'd keep the album and I always skip the songs I don't like.

• Like 2

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Test for Echo

While Presto and Roll the Bones had some real clunkers (Superconductor and Neurotica), there are enough songs that I like so I'd keep the album and I always skip the songs I don't like.

That's a great quote in your sig. :)

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Love fly by night but never seem to play it for some reason so that can go if has to, similarly the debut album hardly gets a play although not a bad track on it and Here Again one of my favs but that'll have to go too i suppose. After that i can only pick two halves, one half of clockwork angels can go for sure and possibly one half of snakes and arrows at a push, in fact is more like a quarter so im a quarter short and dunno where i'm going to find it. In fact yeah, all i can manage is 2 3/4 so sod it. Edited by lifeson90