If You Could Throw Out Only THREE Rush Albums

_hi_water._

Love fly by night but never seem to play it for some reason so that can go if has to, similarly the debut album hardly gets a play although not a bad track on it and Here Again one of my favs but that'll have to go too i suppose. After that i can only pick two halves, one half of clockwork angels can go for sure and possibly one half of snakes and arrows at a push, in fact is more like a quarter so im a quarter short and dunno where i'm going to find it. In fact yeah, all i can manage is 2 3/4 so sod it.

You've changed the rules. The game just grew much more complicated.

If we can split into fractions, then I'd toss half of RTB and a third of PW.

• Like 2

I can do without FBN, as the debut covers the more straight ahead rock and Caress takes care of the transition to prog side of things.

Next to go is AFTK, as 2112, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves are the better prog-era efforts. Xanadu will be missed,but if I cheat and include live albums, it's covered.

HYF has aged terribly due to its representation of the worst of 80's keyboard effects, so it can go. Signals, Grace and Power Windows have all the keys I need, and Presto and Roll the Bones have the songwriting style without the annoying noises.

• Like 1

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Test for Echo

While Presto and Roll the Bones had some real clunkers (Superconductor and Neurotica), there are enough songs that I like so I'd keep the album and I always skip the songs I don't like.

That's a great quote in your sig. :)

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Thanks, I liked the character who said it and it kinda grew on me.

Like others, I wouldn't eliminate any, but if I were to have to, I could place myself in some, if not all, of the shoes of the imagination.

Different eyes make different pleas

Different views cut out different threes:

Keeping Presto, because it was the very first in a long line of albums that led to my not purchasing the next one, which, if you know me, is an astonishing feat of magic:

1. Rush

2. Bowl the Runes

3. Feedback

Out of fear of taking a friend who needs some love and slinging the maligned by omission John Howard Rutsey into some inescapable ring of darkness, I'm finding my way to being in the mood keeping the debut so that it's here again:

1. Presto

2. Bowl the Runes

3. Feedback

Aaaand, a list assuming that being an EP, Feedback need not be on the list, freeing up an alternative reduction, which involves my faithless belief that anyone is ever going to repair the far cry from a good sonic quality of this caravan of foo-ey productions:

1. Vapor Trails

2. Snakes & Arrows

3. Clockwork Angels

I can do without FBN, as the debut covers the more straight ahead rock and Caress takes care of the transition to prog side of things.

Next to go is AFTK, as 2112, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves are the better prog-era efforts. Xanadu will be missed,but if I cheat and include live albums, it's covered.

HYF has aged terribly due to its representation of the worst of 80's keyboard effects, so it can go. Signals, Grace and Power Windows have all the keys I need, and Presto and Roll the Bones have the songwriting style without the annoying noises.

I like the reasoning here even though I don't completely agree on the album choices. Although if I go down the 'it's covered by live albums' then I could get rid of Moving Pictures!!

• Like 1

I like the reasoning here even though I don't completely agree on the album choices. Although if I go down the 'it's covered by live albums' then I could get rid of Moving Pictures!!

The only problem there being that the full listening experience of the full studio album for Moving Pictures is too good to give up, imo.
  • Like 2

I like all of the albums but if I had to choose it would probably be this:

1) Debut Album (Like the sound and songs but no Neil so I'm out)

2) Caress Of Steel (Actually not that bad but only has like 2 decent songs. The rest is just average)

3) Presto ( I actually like this album a lot but I probably listen to it the least so I'll add it)

Rush, Caress of Steel and Vapor Trails.

The first album was a "misfire", COS was a failed first attempt at prog, and VT suffers from horrendous production decisions (not only terrible sound engineering, but no guitar solos and no keyboards as well-LAME!!! :rage: )

My vote from January 27th in this thread is still true, I doubt it will change.

Obviously toss out the Rush-in-name-only eponymous debut.

Followed, regrettably, by Presto and Test For Echo, both of which I like very very much but if I had to get rid of three- they're the losers.

Presto

Snakes

Counterparts

Dishonorable mention:

Test for Echo

Hold Your Fire

Roll the Bones

Power Windows

Edited by laughedatbytime