SINGLE CROTALE NOTE!!

brileyryan

what is the note for the single crotale used between the hi hat and the snare. Ive heard about 4 different notes from the research

F LOW CROTALE

F# LOW CROTALE

C HIGH CROTALE

C# HIGH CROTALE

E HIGH CROTALE

WHICH ONE IS IT!!!

The closest ive heard was E high ocatve zildjian crotale

Thanks

briley

From this post here.

For YYZ it's an F# if I'm not mistaken

It's a Crotale that he had mounted between his hi-hat and snare...for Hemispheres, not sure...it MAY be the same note, but I don't have the music at hand anymore (loaned my book to a guitar player several years back, and never got it back)

This has been an ongoing discussion and I'm not sure there is an official consensus since the ear is a very subjective thing. I have the high E and I personally think it's the right one, but most seem to disagree. On the MP/ESL tour, he was using it for the Hemispheres "ding" and the intro to YYZ. The pitch is more important to the song in Hemispheres as it is in the middle of a musical melody, rather than just in the intro on YYZ. The Hemispheres studio recording was definitely an E, so I believe that's what he chose to put next to the hi-hat. On the MP studio version, the YYZ crotale sounds more like a D# to me. I know the first 2 guitar notes are C and F#, but I don't think the crotale matches either one. That's just what I hear, but many hear it differently.

So if you hear the High E, well, we are in agreement! :)

Edited by PW_Guitarist

Crotales are so rich in overtones that it's hard to discern the pitch of a single one without having others to compare it against. On MP, the pitch sounds somewhere between a D#/Eb and E natural to my ear, and on ESL it sounds like an E. My money is on E for the reasons PW_Guitarist mentioned. It's probably an E on the studio recording as well, though it's been electronically manipulated (the panning going back and forth), so who's to say that they didn't mess with the tape speed a bit. I'm eager to hear your results, brileyryan.
  • Like 1

More importantly, is it a "ping", "ding" or "ting", and who from SOCN air-does it in concert?

http://www.therushfo...g/page__st__100

That was a fun thread.

Thank you for bringing back some good memories :D
  • Like 1

Zildjian used to have samples of all the crotale notes on their website (unfortunately, that seems to be gone now). You could "ding" you your heart's content with the click of a mouse. I played that along to the tracks and it seemed to confirm the high E. You can still buy single notes new for about $125 apiece, but I had lucked out on a used one on eBay for $75.

Back in the alt.music.rush days, when it was fashionable to have a Neil Peart quote in your signature, I remember one guy had "Ding!" as his quote. A lot of people didn't get the joke. :)

guys i finally got the high octave E in by zildjian. they were on back order and it took forever.... i will confirm or at least give a good opinion that the high octave E sounds exactly like the note used in YYZ.

thanks for all the input!

It’s worth pointing out that the crotale on MP vs. ESL are two different notes completely.

On YYZ on Moving Pictures it’s a D. The panning creates a slightly doppler effect but it matches D3 on the piano when I sing it. Definitely not an E, it’s too flat. In fact it’s just sharp of D but it’s not D# either, which is probably why people are having so much trouble. It’s not perfectly tuned. But I might lean towards D# because of the B Phrygian dominant factor of the track.

Edited by Deadwing

Crotales are so rich in overtones that it's hard to discern the pitch of a single one without having others to compare it against. On MP, the pitch sounds somewhere between a D#/Eb and E natural to my ear, and on ESL it sounds like an E. My money is on E for the reasons PW_Guitarist mentioned. It's probably an E on the studio recording as well, though it's been electronically manipulated (the panning going back and forth), so who's to say that they didn't mess with the tape speed a bit. I'm eager to hear your results, brileyryan.

This. Didn’t see it right away lol. Pretty much spot on.

Just had an epiphany. Crotales are orchestral and therefore tuned to 442hz, not 440hz. This is why they’ll sound slightly sharp.
  • Like 1