History revisionist Spotify-playlist with everything Rush AND Aimee Mann

RushMann

My unique history revisionist Rush/Aimee Mann-playlist.

Background: A guy i lived with introduced me to Rush around 1987/1988 i believe, around the time he switched from vinyl to CDs, and Hold Your Fire was the latest album, so that became my favorite Rush album, as i understand is the case with many Rush fans, the first you come in contact with becomes THE album.

I can't actually remember now if he had HYF on both vinyl and CD, or if that was vinyl only, but i think he got it on CD as well, since i listened a lot more to HYF than any of the older albums, which he had on vinyl only.

I do remember the first he got on both for comparison, MJ's Bad. He later got A Show of Hands and Presto on CD, and those two accidentally came with me when i moved out, i was not responsible for that btw. But it was a stroke of luck. Listened to them every now and then on my setup, until i picked up Counterparts on CD for something like $4.99 in a sale, and it got me hooked, realized that Rush was pretty great, and wanted more, so i started picking up the back catalogue, think Roll The Bones was my next if i remember correctly. So sometimes in the mid 90's i came aboard and started ranking them as #1, possibly joint #1 together with Depeche, Kraftwerk, Tori Amos and S.P.O.C.K.

Edit: ..and Opeth, which i got into right from their debut in 1993, i ordered it on chance, not having listened to it. Talk about a jackpot.

Got Spotify through our family, and generally dislikes all shuffle/random playlists, like "This is Rush" and similar, i am an album listener, used the shuffle function maybe once in the 80s when i got my first CD player and then turned it off for all eternity, i don't read chapters in books out of order, or move around the scenes in movies. in addition, if i want to get a grip on an artist or a band, i want to do it chronologically, experience it in the same order like the oldest fans did, sometimes that can be pretty hard to do on Spotify, since album labeled years are out of order or albums are missing, and where do the singles fit in? I basically feel forced to have a bands Wikipedia page in a tab to be able to listen to everything in correct order.

Made a complete chronological Joy Division/New Order playlist for a family friend that includes all side project by all members, and finally got around to do one with Rush when Neil passed. But i added a twist to it.

Two thoughts merged, after Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels, remarkable albums, not many bands so long into their career can put out such great albums "that late", and i started thinking about what challenges they could put themselves through. Became a fan of Aimee around Magnolia if i remember correctly, at that time not even knowing it was her on my all time favorite Rush song, but when i realized, a fantasy emerged in my head, the first part was that i wanted to see them live with her on stage for the chorus, i would literally die happily moments after if that had ever happened. The fantasy expanded into that they should pick her up as a fourth member and challenge themselves with being a quartet(or they could rename themselves to RushMann), maybe give Geddy's vocals a break(after all, he's almost 90 years old), and revamp some old songs with dual guitars. I still haven't given up on this dream, nothing is holy in my world, and i don't think it is in theirs either or was in Neil's, they started without Neil, and i would love a 20th album. Possible titles would be "20 and out" or "no more book reading". Anything can happen(from my other all time favorite Rush song).

So i decided to add everything with Aimee to the playlist, chronologically sorted in-between everything with Rush, and like the JD/NO playlist it also features all side projects, thus Victor, Headache, Til Tuesday, The Both, and collaborations by "all four Rush members". It's not entirely complete yet, some collaborations remain to be sorted in, but I'll get there. Also make sure to have your Spotify apps set up to show unplayable tracks, the list includes at least two albums with Aimee and the original Vapor Trails that are currently unplayable(plus a few collab. songs), minus the last Vapor song, which is available for comparisons with the remixed version. Hope Rush put up the original again, i don't approve of sweeping things under the rug.

Hope some of you like the playlist. You can listen to entire Rush albums in order through the list with a free account, which i don't think you can do otherwise?

Have since made a few other similar complete chronological playlists including all members side projects with AC/DC, Manowar, Kraftwerk, Creedence, Fleetwood, Marie Fredriksson, Olle Ljungström/Reeperbahn, ZZ Top, Nick Cave(not complete yet, still missing soundtracks), Jason Newsted, Cyndi Lauper, Little Richard, Ted Nugent, Alan Merrill, Loffe Carlsson and Genesis(NOT complete yet, ran out of strength around 1985, but it will be HUGE once complete) and Haken.

Also have a complete chronological playlist with everything from my small hometown of Alingsås, Sweden, 40k pop, 25k city center, 3.800+ tracks from 900+ releases by 230 artist/bands from one and the same town, or out of town bands with at least one member from said town. I wish there existed similar playlists for all towns around the world, so you could listen in on everything from cities you have a connection to or sweet spot in your heart. If anyone ever picks up on this idea and put together a complete playlist for their own hometown, please let me know, i will listen to everything in it out of principle.

There are actually two progressive rock-bands in my hometown list, Wonderland and Kaleidoreal. And please check out the Legends of Doom-single by Vim Spencer Group, old school metal at it's finest. Other local acts in that list worth a mention are 70's rock by Prophet Laundry, death metal acts Skymning, Arise, Arcosolium, Gravebomb and Puteraeon. Blues band Groznyj, a single by their singer Kerstin Karlsson, one of the finest Christmas songs ever by Queen of Clouds, and for those like me that have never seen any problems with Geddy's voice, check out Arbogast(a later project by the same leader/singer is Sundown Delay), and heavy dark electronic tunes from Myren and GHT, Alingsås/Irish rock band Cousin Bill, surreal experimental "rock/pop" by Svenson and Dieter Schöön, five power metal albums from Fraise, more power by Vandor(female drummer), Cure'ish Hunt(also Tyred Eyes, Winter Took His Life and Rome Is Not A Town by shared band members), the fastest death metal drummer ever in Immersed in Blood/Sgt. Carnage/Cursus Bellum, funk by Mantello, Maiden style heavy metal by Mindghost(actually features Blaze Bayley on a track), old school black metal by Zatyr, and Sweden's runner up band in national country tournament, Andreas Carlsson & The Moonshine Band.

Came really close to forgetting a link to the Rush/Aimee playlist!

https://open.spotify...3VFsxnR1waxwcxs

You can view it even without Spotify, in a browser, but if you do, some tracks weirdly appear to be from another album than the one which is actually added in the playlist, By Tor and Snowdog is one weird example, where that track appears to be from a Retrospective collection, which is not the case in the actual playlist, and this also messes up the four cover pictures of the playlist. The Fancy Dancer single is missing. This is not good.

And as i wrote this, i realized i shouldn't force anything on someone, in this case Aimee, so i just created a duplicate complete Rush list without everything Aimee, for those who sadly don't like her. It'll be interesting to see which one gets the most followers in a couple of months or years.

https://open.spotify...VSPHq9BPuJLZBOb

All the other mentioned playlists are on the Spotify profile behind the Rush lists, for Reverend Time of Alinge, Texas. a.k.a. RushMann.

Edited by RushMann
  • Like 1

Welcome to TRF, RushMann! :cheers:

I never ventured much past 'Til Tuesday's debut but man(n) is it a great one. What I've heard of Mann's solo stuff is pretty decent, I just haven't looked too deeply.

Well now you have the perfect tool, my playlist, if you got Spotify that is. Spread it to all Rush fans you know!

I can't remember having ever heard Til Tuesday in the 80's, i didn't get MTV(Europe) until 1989, and i guess they where gone by then. Have only listened to their albums 3-4 times each so far, but i like what iv'e heard. I rank Aimee's solo stuff closely behind supreme fs/s goddess Tori, and in the end they might either switch places in my heart or join each other at the top. Sheryl Crow was also high in my book, but she went too pop with i think it was her fourth album. Soaking the sun something. Her albums afterwards i have only listened to once or twice, but they got heavier and more country, so better than pop anyway.

Can't remember ever having seen a Rush video on MTV back then either btw.

Some cool comments by Alex on Time Stand Still and how Aimee was chosen:

I hate Youtube, you either get stuck for hours watching baby kittens doing silly things, or you find stuff that that gets you crying. After the interview i found a couple if Time Stand Still covers in the right column, one by the US Army and one by Mike Masse i think his name was, and now my eyes are red.

I never ventured much past 'Til Tuesday's debut but man(n) is it a great one. What I've heard of Mann's solo stuff is pretty decent, I just haven't looked too deeply.

Well now you have the perfect tool, my playlist, if you got Spotify that is. Spread it to all Rush fans you know!

I can't remember having ever heard Til Tuesday in the 80's, i didn't get MTV(Europe) until 1989, and i guess they where gone by then. Have only listened to their albums 3-4 times each so far, but i like what iv'e heard. I rank Aimee's solo stuff closely behind supreme fs/s goddess Tori, and in the end they might either switch places in my heart or join each other at the top. Sheryl Crow was also high in my book, but she went too pop with i think it was her fourth album. Soaking the sun something. Her albums afterwards i have only listened to once or twice, but they got heavier and more country, so better than pop anyway.

I hate Youtube, you either get stuck for hours watching baby kittens doing silly things, or you find stuff that that gets you crying. After the interview i found a couple if Time Stand Still covers in the right column, one by the US Army and one by Mike Masse i think his name was, and now my eyes are red.

Well, MTV played quite a bit of Rush videos in the 80s all the way up through Show Don't Tell and The Pass which I saw a lot of back then.

Til Tuesday was also shown a lot, and that particular Daytona gig I posted I remember watching back then when I was in high school.

As for YouTube, I disagree with you. It's great. So much goodness is there to be found, just don't get caught being a slave to it.

• Like 2

Well, MTV played quite a bit of Rush videos in the 80s all the way up through Show Don't Tell and The Pass which I saw a lot of back then.

Til Tuesday was also shown a lot, and that particular Daytona gig I posted I remember watching back then when I was in high school.

You must be talking about US MTV? I'm in Europe and watched a lot of MTV Europe from '89 and forward, and i don't remember ever seeing any music videos from Presto(or older), have seen a few during the later parts of 90'(and this side) on VH1, but never old MTV Europe.

As for YouTube, I disagree with you. It's great. So much goodness is there to be found, just don't get caught being a slave to it.

My intro to them was Roll The Bones on MTV when I was 11. I don't remember Stick It Out but I remember seeing Driven played here and there in my sophomore year of high school. They never made Top 20 video countdown after Big Money from what I know. I've actually seen a montage of clips on Youtube from 1989 that had Show Don't Tell on Dial MTV hosted by Adam Curry.

• Like 1

You must be talking about US MTV? I'm in Europe and watched a lot of MTV Europe from '89 and forward, and i don't remember ever seeing any music videos from Presto(or older), have seen a few during the later parts of 90'(and this side) on VH1, but never old MTV Europe.

Yup

And welcome to the forums RushMann :) Very ambitious work, above!

Regarding Youtube, my golly there is a tonne of Rush content there, yet it seems to never be discussed on these pages.

• Like 2

Regarding Youtube, my golly there is a tonne of Rush content there, yet it seems to never be discussed on these pages.

Yeah, I’ve mentioned it tons of times but I wind up talking to the wind. A lot of people seem to have issues with YouTube but I’ve got nothing but praise for it - Rush vids and interviews being a huge part of that.

• Like 2

It takes you down a rabbit hole of suggestions, but just keep "back clicking" and try to stay on topic.

Sooooooo many great Rush bits. Some come and go, others stick around.

And the last year or so there are more "Skip Ads" options. The snaky algorithms know when a topic is trending!

• Like 1

I've made about 150 playlists on spotify, I love curating music

Regarding my other complete chronological playlists i mentioned, i actually wish i didn't have to create them at all, i wish Spotify had a function where you could just click in which members of a band you want to merge into a combined playlist(or just the band itself), whereafter Spotify would have a ready playlist for you, chronologically sorted, but no such functions exists. The Rush/Aimee Playlist is the only artist/band focused playlist i actually have enjoyed putting together(since it feels so unusual and unique in idea), in addition to my biggest playlist with 900+ chronologically sorted releases from my childhood hometown.

Thank you! Yet not a single new follower since i posted about it, maybe this was the wrong forum for it. Or i'm one of a few who likes the idea of merging Rush's and Aimee's careers into one and the same playlist.

I find it particularly interesting listening to Tuesday up towards HYF and then Tuesday's last album, and Amiee's first, those Tuesday that came before HYF must be what got the guys attention back in the days.

In addition to Time Stand Still, Aimee Mann also appears in Tai Shan and Open Secrets.

I had actually missed that, but i'm 99% sure her voice is in Prime Mover, and i have assumed for many years that it's her laughter in the beginning of Force Ten?

Regarding Alex mention of Cyndi Lauper, what where they thinking even considering her? I love Cyndi(Time after Time is one of the most beuatiful songs ever), as i wrote, i actually have a complete chronological playlist of her works as well, which includes an early rock band(Blue something) she played in before she went solo and got Madonna nervous, but her voice is too characteristic and funny. I love her in the opening theme to Pee-Wee's Playhouse. which i recently binged a couple of seasons of. But for Rush, it would most likely have been a mismatch.

Sadly almost no time to work on the playlist, got too much going on in my personal life, but just found a couple of minutes and some energy to sort in an additional 7 tracks with Alex Lifeson in the list.

In addition Aimee Mann re-released a remastered 20th anniversary edition of her third album Bachelor No 2 from 2000 a couple of weeks ago(poor girl couldn't wait 40 years.. :D)..

..and as i write this, i just realized Aimee's second album I'm With Stupid from 1995 has been re-licensed to Spotify, it's been unplayable for ages. Now her debut solo album Whatever from 1993 and the original mix of Vapor Trails are the only two full albums in the list that are unplayable, minus the last track on Vapor Trails, "Out of the cradle" which is available in both versions for comparison.

Regarding "unplayable", always make sure to have Spotify set up to show unplayable tracks, there a a few collaboration tracks in the playlist that sadly also are in that state, currently.. But give it time. One track that recently became playable again was an Alex Lifeson collaboration with Porcupine Tree.

Just saw in the playlist that Aimee's debut solo-album Whatever from 1993 has been re-licensed to Spotify as well(at least here in Sweden), so now her catalogue of albums in the playlist is complete, the exception being a few stand alone soundtrack tracks.

Now if only Rush could make the original version of Vapor Trails available again.

Just saw in the playlist that Aimee's debut solo-album Whatever from 1993 has been re-licensed to Spotify as well(at least here in Sweden), so now her catalogue of albums in the playlist is complete, the exception being a few stand alone soundtrack tracks.

Now if only Rush could make the original version of Vapor Trails available again.

So I think the deal with the Original mix (with the exception of Out Of The Cradle, at least here in the US) is that it's only available in Canada (while Canada doesn't have the remix). So by using the link below, you can add the album for your Canadian listeners to enjoy.

The reason Out Of The Cradle is the only one available outside of Canada is because there's a various artist compilation album "Progressive Artistry" that features the original mix of that song.

• Like 1

So I think the deal with the Original mix (with the exception of Out Of The Cradle, at least here in the US) is that it's only available in Canada (while Canada doesn't have the remix). So by using the link below, you can add the album for your Canadian listeners to enjoy.

The reason Out Of The Cradle is the only one available outside of Canada is because there's a various artist compilation album "Progressive Artistry" that features the original mix of that song.

https://open.spotify...WdVTgQHevAsMkJy

Thanks for the explanation about Canada vs the rest, that was interesting, gonna do some researching on that, and yes, i know about Out of the cradle being on an various artists album, most importantly extracted from the exact same sound data file as the original, which is why it replaces the original missing one, and still becomes playable from the URI of the original album.

And thanks for the link, but have you checked out the playlist? The original mix album has always been added in the list at the correct place(as was the old Aimee Mann albums), but unplayable(well for all of us but the Canadians). You should always have your Spotify client set up to show unplayable tracks in playlists, quite a lot can show up that you didn't know was there. The situation is really bad in my complete chronological Manowar playlist, around half of the playlist is unplayable. fists%20crying.gif

There are some Rush tracks in my playlist from the R40 release that are unplayable here, in addition to some collaboration tracks, and a stand alone single of Working Man from 2008, some "vault edition".

Today i'm gonna try to get around to listening to A farewell to kings, currently watching the Citizen Kane movie, so i've gotten Xanadu on my brain. :P

https://open.spotify...WdVTgQHevAsMkJy

Thanks for the explanation about Canada vs the rest, that was interesting, gonna do some researching on that, and yes, i know about Out of the cradle being on an various artists album, most importantly extracted from the exact same sound data file as the original, which is why it replaces the original missing one, and still becomes playable from the URI of the original album.

And thanks for the link, but have you checked out the playlist? The original mix album has always been added in the list at the correct place(as was the old Aimee Mann albums), but unplayable(well for all of us but the Canadians). You should always have your Spotify client set up to show unplayable tracks in playlists, quite a lot can show up that you didn't know was there. The situation is really bad in my complete chronological Manowar playlist, around half of the playlist is unplayable. fists%20crying.gif

There are some Rush tracks in my playlist from the R40 release that are unplayable here, in addition to some collaboration tracks, and a stand alone single of Working Man from 2008, some "vault edition".

Today i'm gonna try to get around to listening to A farewell to kings, currently watching the Citizen Kane movie, so i've gotten Xanadu on my brain. :P

Ya know, I should've checked the playlist but I just didn't think of it LOL. And yes, I do have Unplayable tracks enabled, I did notice some Aimee Mann albums and some collaborations blocked out but I only skimmed through the list so I didn't catch Vapor Trails.

Also, if you'd like to know, Alex contributed guitarwork to each of the songs off of Lawrence Gowan's album "Lost Brotherhood", which is available on Spotify, although he is not credited in the artists section, as there were other guest musicians on that album as well.

• Like 1

Ya know, I should've checked the playlist but I just didn't think of it LOL. And yes, I do have Unplayable tracks enabled, I did notice some Aimee Mann albums and some collaborations blocked out but I only skimmed through the list so I didn't catch Vapor Trails.

Also, if you'd like to know, Alex contributed guitarwork to each of the songs off of Lawrence Gowan's album "Lost Brotherhood", which is available on Spotify, although he is not credited in the artists section, as there were other guest musicians on that album as well.

Thanks! As i wrote, i'm not done with all the collaborations, i have a huge list to go through, last time i added collaboration tracks i got depressed after the Clean Slate from 1988 wasn't available on any streaming service, had i had some more strength that day i would have gotten around to Gowan, but since you mentioned it i added it now, that was easily sorted in between 89 and 91. Some things in the playlist have been extremely hard to add at the exact correct position, since finding accurate release dates can be hard for non-mainstream music from before the turn of the century.

Now i'm done with music for the day, gonna watch some IMSA racing from Sebring.

• Like 1

While working on my complete chronological ZZ Top-playlist, i stumbled upon a couple of tracks from the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame inductions albums with ZZ and Billy Gibbons, that sadly where unplayable here, but got added.

Then i realized that Rush had also been inducted and that i had seen them play live there there, after Alex gave a speed that those clowns where worthy of, so i searched and found a couple of tracks with both Rush and Geddy Lee that have now been added to the Rush/Aimee Mann playlist, but none of the RnRHoF albums are playable here. :fuckinputer:

That however doesn't seems to be the case in all regions, so take a look and listen if you can! Also added two new releases with Aimee two days ago.

And don't miss the ZZ Top playlist, it features a lot of obscure collaborations by Billy Gibbons(including one with Lemmy and one with William Shatner), that Spotify lists under more than half a dozen different Billy Gibbons profiles with different spellings and name formats, so i think there's a lot in that playlist that fans have missed.

Probably gonna add everything with Elwood Francis to that one as well, since he is a full member now, semi-similar to my Rush/Aimee playlist.