RIP, Tommy Lasorda, 93, longtime Dodger manager

laughedatbytime

:rose:

Can't say I was a huge fan, but he was definitely a major name in the sport for two decades, and author of a great sound bite regarding Kurt Bevacqua.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. I wasn't a huge fan of his, but I remember him. He will be missed. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Tommy.

As a Yankees fan I hated him, especially in the '70s and '80s when the Yanks and Dodgers faced each other in a few World Series. The camera kept zooming into his mug and I kept wanting to punch him. I got a huge kick out of watching NY third baseman Graig Nettles making play after impossible play to rob the Dodgers of a hit, because the added bonus was watching Lasorda rant and spit and curse immediately after. But the guy was an MLB legend and a winner (which is probably why I hated him), and he did beat up the Philly Phanatic so bonus points for that.

As I mentioned in the baseball thread a few months back, I grew up in Spokane when it was the Dodgers' AAA farm club and he managed there a few years before moving up to LA. The '69 Spokane Indians were one of the best minor league teams of all-time under him. I have fond memories of him from then as well as with the Dodgers.

RIP Tommy. You were one of a kind.

Edited by driventotheedge

:rose:

Can't say I was a huge fan, but he was definitely a major name in the sport for two decades, and author of a great sound bite regarding Kurt Bevacqua.

Yeah, I forgot how awesome that rant was.

http://youtu.be/fzjWQF1oP2M

(Gloriously not safe for work or kids)

I've been binge watching a lot of rants, brawls and umpire arguments on Youtube quite a bit. Tommy was one of the best. Lou Piniella is the king, though.

Been to roughly a handful of Dodgers games in my life. Oddly enough, none were freeway series for my Angels. Last one was July 23, 2004 when Adrian Beltre hit a game winning homer to beat the Padres 3-2. My closest minor league team is for the single A Cucamonga Quakes which used to be Angels before they switched with the Dodgers on the Inland Empire 66ers in San Berdu.

Edited by invisible airwave