Rolling Stone Magazine - The Spirit of Neil Peart

That may be the only great thing I've ever read from Rolling Stone. Bless whoever pushed that read through their usual garbage. Beautifully written. I'm really happy to know that Peart took the time to relisten to old Rush stuff and that he made sure Lee and Lifeson knew how proud he was of it all. A true friend till the end it seems. Heh, reminds me of one of those few Rush songs he didn't write actually.

take yourself a friend

keep them till the end

• Like 11

Remember when Neil lost his daughter and wife? Most people would probably commit suicide, or never come out of their hole again (possibly quit the band). We, as fans, should be grateful that we got anything at all from them for about 15 more years. Just saying.

But yeah, this article is truly one hell of a good read. I had no idea Alex had the flu.

Edited by _hi_water._
  • Like 4

Check it out below.

The Spirit of Neil Peart

Rush’s virtuoso drum hero lived by his own rules, to the very end. For the first time since Peart’s passing, his bandmates and widow discuss his legacy and his final years.

Thanks so much for posting this, RFF. It's a very touching article and a lovely tribute to Neil today. I'm so glad Neil got to have his goodbyes with Geddy and Alex.

• Like 3

Remember when Neil lost his daughter and wife? Most people would probably commit suicide, or never come out of their hole again (possibly quit the band). We, as fans, should be grateful that we got anything at all from them for about 15 more years. Just saying.

But yeah, this article is truly one hell of a good read. I had no idea Alex had the flu.

That is some frickin’ flu. I wonder if he had pneumonia.

• Like 1

Whatever it was, I'm glad he's ok
  • Like 1

I suspect that was the case. So glad he pulled through.

• Like 2

Yes, thanks Alex for not dying on us. Scary times.

Only would've made 2020 much worse. 2020 was a garbage year to begin with since the news of Neil's death anyways

global pandemic >>> Neil's death

• Like 1

What a great person to be an admirer of. He was truly Great. Flawed as f**k, no question. But that makes a distinguished human.

He was great, as an individual -- an individual drummer, an individual writer, etc. He thrived in environments where he felt alone and in control.

His flaws seemed to be in relating to other unpredictable humans in unpredictable situations. In those areas, his social skills seemed to be underdeveloped.

But I say this with love. He was an awesome guy and it's why we're all still talking about him, even though none of us has ever met him. It's why we WILL be speaking about him for many years to come.

• Like 3

Someone please post a link when available. I don't want to start a subscription to that rag.

I don't have a sub but I was able to read it. It's excellent.

It's funny - I was able to read it at RS just by using a different browser.

• Like 1

Moving and inspiring article. Knowing that Mr Peart enjoyed walking to Starbucks, taking in such simple moments, relishing it. Special moments with Lee and Lifeson and family.

Really wish people, (everyone!) did not get sick. Cancer is such a fecker.

The candle that burns twice as bright, burns only half as long. Boy did Neil Peart shine.

• Like 5

I don't often use the term, or perhaps understand it fully, but "closure" is how I feel.

After a day of thinking about this article, and a silent forest snow shoe today, I am bursting with thoughts.

The filling in of time, the knowledge that the three of them could celebrate his pride together, so many answers given.

And classically delivered a year after, allowing friends and family to have their own time - until "more" had to be shared.

The classiest, honest, fun loving folks. The support network, the humour still such a part of them.

Awkward sentences here, I get it - but wow, how I LOVED reading that article. It just pours out of my brain in so many ways.

From a child and listening to them when I delivered the early morning newspapers in Willowdale, to now as an adult and knowing all of their albums, I should be lost for words...but nope. So many feelings!

How many bands would put out 5, 6 albums and either fade away or go different ways. Or ten albums and implode into a mess of ego and in-fighting. But not these guys. Truly deserving of all the praise heaped upon them.

As Geddy said somewhere, something like: One of the best parts of being in Rush was taking chances with songs, even if they were mistakes, we loved trying new things. I say IN SPADES!

And more irony: The magazine that shunned them for so long has published what we all longed to hear.

I recall January 10 like yesterday. We knew they were finished. And the world descended into a kind of chaos. Indeed, what would Neil have to say?

And thank you Alex for surviving your health scare. I can't help but think of some lines Alex and Geddy said, as Neil would suffer every ache and pain and continue on...but Alex and Geddy would get a cold and the whole world would know

about it. Well, Alex kept that one pretty quiet!

Thank you Alex, Geddy, Carrie, Olivia, Ray, their friends and family. You are the gold standard of respect and honour :)

• Like 9

Great article, thanks for posting. It reminded me again what's so special about these particular rock stars; their humanity, their humor, their decency. Hard to talk about Neil without talking about the three of them.

Neil was inspiring in so many ways, but right now I'm thinking of the example he set as the ultimate auto-didact. I'm enough of one to have learned what that word means, but can't even begin to emulate his quest for knowledge. (Generic words about mortality, facing the fact all our heroes will be gone someday, yadda yadda.)

Yeah. Someone stop cutting those damn onions!

• Like 1

I keep trying to reverse my sadness over NPs passing, and so many others this year. I’m trying to help others and somehow come to terms with the nagging depression I feel inside. It feels good to help others.

When I see others so blatantly take life for granted, with little cate for others, I find myself getting very angry. I watch these sad people invade the Capitol building or burn down Portland, and I feel the increasing need to reach out and help others

We are in survival mode. Or safe mode, while we repair the HD. NPs passing is helping me understand what the priorities actually are. Kindness, intelligence, family, learning, openness. NP perfectly lays it out in Witch Hunt and Territories. Tribalism will end us. Our heroes pass away, but they’re our HEROES right? They had qualities we want to possess. Admiration for someone like NP is meaningless if we don’t apply those admirable quantities to our own lives.

• Like 4

That may be the only great thing I've ever read from Rolling Stone. Bless whoever pushed that read through their usual garbage. Beautifully written. I'm really happy to know that Peart took the time to relisten to old Rush stuff and that he made sure Lee and Lifeson knew how proud he was of it all. A true friend till the end it seems. Heh, reminds me of one of those few Rush songs he didn't write actually.

take yourself a friend

keep them till the end

Article was very tastefully done. Totally written for the fans.

• Like 5

From a fan's point of view it's nice to know Neil was considering doing more shows on the R40 tour, but his body just couldn't deliver :(

Somewhat explains why management and crew were upset at the time.

• Like 3

This was a beautiful tribute to the man and his love for his friends and family as well as his stupendous talent. I found the near drowning incident very revealing, as the writer mused that may have made him so wary of strangers. Makes some sense to me. So many little pieces shared in this article that meant so much. To let us be present in his final times, damn how hard he fought and how much Alex and Geddy were there for him. I'm tearing up now thinking about Alex hugging Neil and giving him a kiss...just wow. :heart:

God I am so glad Alex didn't leave us, like others I was wondering how in the hell did we not hear about that??

I am sad reading this but it does give closure and there was some symmetry as well.

I read it so fast, I think I will give it another reading and plan on buying the magazine to have it in print.

You done good R.S. :yes:

:NP: go Olivia

• Like 9