A sad anniversary approaches. What are your plans?

OneZeroZero

January 7, 2020 seems like a lifetime ago. Little could we have imagined that the shock and loss we felt last January was merely the beginning of a truly awful year.

As the first anniversary of this sad and momentous day approaches, I'm wondering what everyone has planned to commemorate it. As for me, I'll be listening to every studio and live album in chronological order over the next week or so. If time permits, I'll probably add in a few of my favorite boots as well. Also, last year, I bought a bottle of the Macallan 12 to toast The Professor, and I've been nipping at it ever since; on the 7th, I plan to polish it off.

• Like 6

I will be going for a long snow shoe, much like I did in the days after I first heard the news. I stopped to brew a cup of tea in the forest, sat and thought of him.

It's been a year of re-visiting melodies by the boys, re-reading Neil's books and paying attention to the lyrics of so many songs - in a stronger light.

Difficult as it is to summarize all the realizations and revelations of the long silence before the announcement, I have no grudges. They stood tall and strong until the end.

I love these guys. The anniversary will be big; but, I think more about Neil's family and Alex and Geddy being heroes of mine. Since I was a little kid, they filled my head with songs and always will :)

And I continue to enjoy their music not with any sadness, but appreciation for the forty-plus years of music.

Honestly, ordering and reading through the Backstage Club Newsletters was one of the best Rush purchases I have ever made.

"Care was taken". I will never forget that.

• Like 5

Nothing special. I’m treating January and February as the 13th and 14th month of 2020. Probably listen to the music all day and watch a concert film in the evening.
  • Like 6

Plans?

Go to work.

Listen to a little bit of Rush after work.

Remember how awesome Peart was.

Live.

:goodone: Something along these lines for me as well.

I'm glad to see the posts here. I am also in a Rush FB group that is pretty good, but it has a few of those "we deserve this" fans. " "We deserve a concert from Geddy and Alex!" "We deserve to have any final writings from Neil released!" "We deserve to hear anything left in the vault!" (good luck w that one.)

"We" don't "deserve" anything. We were gifted by Neil's and the band's presence for so many years. I hope the 7th is a quiet day.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 7

Plans?

Go to work.

Live.

I'm glad to see the posts here. I am also in a Rush FB group that is pretty good, but has a few of those "we deserve this" fans. " "We deserve a concert from Geddy and Alex!" "We deserve to have any final writings from Neil released!" "We deserve to hear anything left in the vault!" (good luck w that one.)

"We" don't "deserve" anything. We were gifted by Neil's and the band's presence for so many years. I hope the 7th is a quiet day.

I agree.

Rush has given me a lot. I’m grateful. That’s the end of it.

• Like 7

Going to take a walk and listen to Signals.

What a drag this year has been. His death seemed to set in motion dozens of shitty events.

Oddly enough, his passing has made me appreciate the little things much more. And I’m trying to be more of

a giving, less cynical person.

• Like 7

Oddly enough, his passing has made me appreciate the little things much more. And I’m trying to be more of

a giving, less cynical person.

:goodone: agreed!

• Like 4

Saw some retrospectives on how many artists, actors and authors we lost in 2020. Even as I was watching one, another death today, Dawn Wells, Mary Anne of Gilligan's Island fame. CNN had one and there was a nice one on NBC, I cried over many of them and seeing Neil's face behind his drums really got to me. I wish NBC would have posted theirs online, it was very tastefully done with music from some who had passed.

It is hard to believe it has almost been a year since Neil left us, it was a sad beginning to 2020 and everything seemed to go to hell after that. IMHO. I think I will be ready to read his last book, Far and Wide, Bring that Horizon to Me. I tried earlier this year and it just hurt too much. I listen Rush a lot and watch the videos, still marveling at their skill and feeling that ache of loss. Of course if he hadn't died that doesn't mean Rush would have come back, it really was over. Yet his death made me appreciate their music even more. Many here have had more experiences with Rush throughout their lives but the relatively short time I got to be a fan and go to some of their concerts was wonderful. :musicnote: :notworthy:

I probably will spend the day listening and light a candle. Suddenly, you were gone from all the lives you left your mark upon . :rose: :heart:

• Like 9

Saw some retrospectives on how many artists, actors and authors we lost in 2020. Even as I was watching one, another death today, Dawn Wells, Mary Anne of Gilligan's Island fame. CNN had one and there was a nice one on NBC, I cried over many of them and seeing Neil's face behind his drums really got to me. I wish NBC would have posted theirs online, it was very tastefully done with music from some who had passed.

It is hard to believe it has almost been a year since Neil left us, it was a sad beginning to 2020 and everything seemed to go to hell after that. IMHO. I think I will be ready to read his last book, Far and Wide, Bring that Horizon to Me. I tried earlier this year and it just hurt too much. I listen Rush a lot and watch the videos, still marveling at their skill and feeling that ache of loss. Of course if he hadn't died that doesn't mean Rush would have come back, it really was over. Yet his death made me appreciate their music even more. Many here have had more experiences with Rush throughout their lives but the relatively short time I got to be a fan and go to some of their concerts was wonderful. :musicnote: :notworthy:

I probably will spend the day listening and light a candle. Suddenly, you were gone from all the lives you left your mark upon . :rose: :heart:

I saw the NBC one. Excellent for sure.

I will definitely watch a Rush concert or two and crank it the hell up to 11!!

• Like 3

Nothing concrete planned. If I remember to listen to some Rush that day, cool. If I don't then whatever. I was only sad for a few days after Neil died. The man was retired, his life's work was complete and he left a great legacy of music behind for all of us to enjoy for years to come. There is nothing for me to be sad about when it comes to that.
  • Like 1

I will be listening to Rush all day today up till the 8th of Jan. It really hurts to see that Neil is not here at all, feels like a dream still to me, but will be thinking of him every single day..Happy New Year, my Rush Family, I miss you all so very much!
  • Like 2

While his death was a tragic loss, especially to his family, I have a life of my own with its own troubles, so I don't have the luxury of grieving people I never knew.

Perfectly sums up by feelings towards all famous deaths - even Eddie did not get a tear from me, just a desire to listen to him and smile.
  • Like 1

Plans?

Go to work.

Live.

I'm glad to see the posts here. I am also in a Rush FB group that is pretty good, but it has a few of those "we deserve this" fans. " "We deserve a concert from Geddy and Alex!" "We deserve to have any final writings from Neil released!" "We deserve to hear anything left in the vault!" (good luck w that one.)

yeah, you know I’m a few groups too, but it’s nothing like here. I can only tolerate so many “2112 on my receipt” posts, lol.

anyway, it’s weird to think that a year ago he was here and we had no idea what was coming.

(Of course we had no idea what was coming in 2020 in general but that’s another thread LOL.)

• Like 4

Have a glass of the Macallan, watch the Time Stand Still documentary, and let the tears fall when they do. Then listen to several of my favorite songs and feel better. Edited by Sark
  • Like 3