New Sloppy Foot Cowboys

JARG

As ever was a pleasure to be part of this.....everyone worked hard and performed superbly, and sonically I think it's our best so far.

"Pleasure to be part of this" is pretty much the SFC mantra, as far as I'm concerned. I could ask this in the FB group, but others here might be curious, too: what's the story behind the album title?

As ever was a pleasure to be part of this.....everyone worked hard and performed superbly, and sonically I think it's our best so far.

"Pleasure to be part of this" is pretty much the SFC mantra, as far as I'm concerned. I could ask this in the FB group, but others here might be curious, too: what's the story behind the album title?

I think it came from when Mike first listened to Ellipsis and his comments

"Well ok then! That's quite an f'ing ride!! I laughed, I cried, I got the shit kicked out of me....and then the harpsichord made it all better."

• Like 1

I think it came from when Mike first listened to Ellipsis and his comments

"Well ok then! That's quite an f'ing ride!! I laughed, I cried, I got the shit kicked out of me....and then the harpsichord made it all better."

I missed that! Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm checking this out one track at a time. GREAT stuff!!!! We don't have enough good quality, guitar-focused pop music anymore, so this comes as a breath of fresh air.

Thanks Rod. Track #2 is my fave...it has a great retro vibe to it, imo.

• Like 3

I've had a couple of listens now. Pretty inventive indie/post punk sounding stuff with guitar at the core of the sound. I particularly like 'Swing It Over' 'How Do You Like It?' and 'Tools Of The Trade'.

A decent album with plenty of variation in the tracks.

• Like 3

I've had a couple of listens now. Pretty inventive indie/post punk sounding stuff with guitar at the core of the sound. I particularly like 'Swing It Over' 'How Do You Like It?' and 'Tools Of The Trade'.

A decent album with plenty of variation in the tracks.

Thanks for listening!

Oh, cool - I forgot that 3 of us are TRFers!

Yes, but only one of us prides himself on "holding down the bottom". :)

• Like 1

And a truly massive bottom it is!

• Like 1

And a truly massive bottom it is!

"How can I leave this behind?"

• Like 1

Sounds great.Right off the bat - Looking Glass is an exceptional song. It's a really great composition, R.E.M..totally stand out track. Melody and conviction. :o Wow! with that one. That's a special song.

Only thing I would say mix wise, is the kick drum (+kit) sounds out of place on some tracks. Suits some but not others.

The whole album reminds me of Husker Du (Warehouse). Not musically but in its searching nature...if that makes sense. Other tracks that stand out are; Swing It Over, How Do You Like it? Vile And Splendid. It's a cohesive album with many melodic vocal hooks/guit solos(that I like) and no track seems out of place. All have attractive qualities in varying degrees.

I do think its the best entry so far. :D

Fantastic work guys! :haz:

• Like 4

Sounds great.Right off the bat - Looking Glass is an exceptional song. It's a really great composition, R.E.M..totally stand out track. Melody and conviction. :o Wow! with that one. That's a special song.

Only thing I would say mix wise, is the kick drum (+kit) sounds out of place on some tracks. Suits some but not others.

The whole album reminds me of Husker Du (Warehouse). Not musically but in its searching nature...if that makes sense. Other tracks that stand out are; Swing It Over, How Do You Like it? Vile And Splendid. It's a cohesive album with many melodic vocal hooks/guit solos(that I like) and no track seems out of place. All have attractive qualities in varying degrees.

Thanks!

The original version of what would become Looking Glass was very different, including lyrics and vocal melody, and goes back to the mid-90s.

Several years ago I had submitted a skeletal arrangement of the song where I used synth piano as a placeholder for guitar parts that would come later, with new lyrics being provided by PM&S, but at the time of that submission, SFC didn't exist, so it really just going to be a "JARG song". Other musical projects/songs came along and this never got out of the "what do you think?" stage, and to be honest, I kinda' forgot about the song.

Then a few months ago PM&S approached me about resurrecting the song and including it on the album, keeping the piano-to-become-guitar parts as piano (PM&S has a friend who's quite a good pianist), so I changed up the arrangement a bit to better accommodate a dedicated piano part and rewrote the piano part to be, well more of an actual piano part. The pianist took what I wrote and made it better. Far better. (Not that hard to do since I'm just a lowly guitarist!). I personally don't get an R.E.M. vibe from it (I usually only hear Rush influences in my songs), but I think it's cool that you do.

Here's how the song originally sounded. Yeah, I think we improved the hell out of it.

http://youtu.be/NaCB3uaSoHg

Edited by JARG
  • Like 3

Thanks much!!!

Thanks!

The original version of what would become Looking Glass was very different, including lyrics and vocal melody, and goes back to the mid-90s.

Several years ago I had submitted a skeletal arrangement of the song where I used synth piano as a placeholder for guitar parts that would come later, with new lyrics being provided by PM&S, but at the time of that submission, SFC didn't exist, so it really just going to be a "JARG song". Other musical projects/songs came along and this never got out of the "what do you think?" stage, and to be honest, I kinda' forgot about the song.

Then a few months ago PM&S approached me about resurrecting the song and including it on the album, keeping the piano-to-become-guitar parts as piano (PM&S has a friend who's quite a good pianist), so I changed up the arrangement a bit to better accommodate a dedicated piano part and rewrote the piano part to be, well more of an actual piano part. The pianist took what I wrote and made it better. Far better. (Not that hard to do since I'm just a lowly guitarist!). I personally don't get an R.E.M. vibe from it (I usually only hear Rush influences in my songs), but I think it's cool that you do.

Here's how the song originally sounded. Yeah, I think we improved the hell out of it.

Do we know anyone playing with you on this?

Thanks!

Do we know anyone playing with you on this?

That’s Mr. Hazlett on bass.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Hear the Rush in the earlier version. Syncopated drums guitar start, stripped down bass, guit, drums. Think it's the piano and vocal line in a few areas that makes me say REM in the later incarnation. Thanks for the explanation with the Looking Glass song, was actually wondering about it. Incredible how you've all transformed the music into such an amazing piece. :ebert:

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 1

The good:

A cool range of familiarity without sounding like copycats of big name bands. Heard some R.E.M., The Cult, and Love & Rockets. Surely there are more but these were the first that came to mind. These are all compliments.

The bad:

Mrs. B and Lucy the Yappy Dog kept interrupting me every other song. I need to give this a proper, PRIVATE listen. I’m sure I missed some parts (whether more good, or possibly something I might not like).

Other:

My main problem with musicians is the vocals. I’m a bit overly critical with them I think. And yeah I know - the vocals should fit the music but I’m still critical no matter what. But why shouldn’t I be? Anyhoo, the vocals here I thought either fit just fine or I kind of forgot about them altogether a.k.a. nothing bad, just a range from “ok” to “decent”. Even that level isn’t easy to achieve with my picky ears.

So yeah, pretty good work here, Cowboys. It deserves a more attentive listening session for sure. Thanks for sharing :cheers:

:blaze:

• Like 3

After a couple of uncommonly busy weeks, I finally got a chance to start listening to these albums today...just listened to the latest (going in reverse order). Very nice job, guys! "Golden Boy" I think was one that stuck in my mind after, I think that's the one with the nice atmospheric intro with the rain ambience and the clean arpeggiated patterns and the harmonizer lead. Good work!

Yeah indeed, seating vocals right and taming harshness can sometimes be challenging and take a bit of busy-work with automation. I've found it useful to have an extra EQ plugin on vocal tracks with a couple of semi-narrow frequency bands where I can automate dips to tame harsh resonances on specific syllables or lines. The neighborhood of 2kHz is where the problem often lies with vowels that pin your ears back. Trying a different mic and/or positioning of it may be worthwhile too..certain voices just take better to certain mics. And of course that doesn't even go into how the same mic can react differently with different preamps. So many variables, even in the tracking stage!

• Like 4