Entre_Perpetuo

choose one  

21 members have voted

1. 1. band

2. 2. masterpiece debut

3. 3. successful follow up

• VS.
    • The Southern Harmony And Musical Compilation

These bands from what I can tell had kind of similar career trajectories over the course of their first few albums, not to mention being from about the same time frame in rock history. PJ always struck me as more of a bluesy classic rocking band than a "grunge" alternative outfit anyway, despite the punk influences.

Black Crowes have the vastly superior discography start to finish, but there are few bands with albums I love as much as Pearl Jam's first three.

This is actually pretty hard for me...

I'm going with Pearl Jam for the debut alone, but Black Crowes are likely the better band

• Like 1

Grunge kinda passed me by so Pearl Jam are not a band I really know.

Black Crowes however I have loved from the start so they take all my votes.

PJ

Ten

Southern

PJ for their first three albums then I lost interest. Never attended one of their shows.

Took me a bit to get into the Black Crowes but I've seen them a few times in concert. Great work with Jimmy Page too.

Big fan of Chris Robinson Brotherhood and have also seen them too.

RIP Neal Casal.

Rich Robinson's band rocks.

• Like 1

Both bands I loved at the time of their debut. I was about 16 I think. I bought VS but nothing after that and I didn`t even make it to the Crowes` second album. I don`t know why, but certainly Pearl Jam is more my thing long-term. So PJ for the wins, even though I still love SYMM.
  • Like 1

Grunge kinda passed me by so Pearl Jam are not a band I really know.

Black Crowes however I have loved from the start so they take all my votes.

I can follow your logic, knowing the other music you love. PJ were not grunge like Nirvana, Pavement or Mudhoney, Sonic Youth etc., they were more like introspective/alternative hard rock that happened to be from Seattle (I`m saying were because I only know their early records!). Soundgarden though, if they were in the poll, are the best of them all.
  • Like 2

These days I'd rather see Pearl Jam.

But in 1993? Black Crowes all the way. More danceable and fun. PJ's pompous self-seriousness was a little hard to take back then, even thought the band kicked serious ass. They just were locked in competition with some serious coke-influenced narcissism. And I really dig Pearl Jam!

There are some live cuts of early 90s PJ on Spotify and there is some stuff where Vedder is just insufferable.

If you like The Black Crowes, you may also like The Magpie Salute which is Rich Robinson and a couple of others from The Black Crowes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg9FGe5pWFg

I saw them live a couple of years ago. Very small crowd, but good show.

Rich had a hissy fit when people were talking and using their smartphones during a mellow song. Gave them a lecture on audience behavior.

Edited by HemiBeers

Really don't find anything endearing about Pearl Jam after the first 2 albums. Shake Your Money Maker was kind of weak, but Southern Harmony is epic. Just wish the Robinson's were less dickish. They were going to tour the anniversary of Money Maker, but without any original members. As much as I like the Crowes, I'm not going to fall for the money-grab tour.
  • Like 1

Really don't find anything endearing about Pearl Jam after the first 2 albums. Shake Your Money Maker was kind of weak, but Southern Harmony is epic. Just wish the Robinson's were less dickish. They were going to tour the anniversary of Money Maker, but without any original members. As much as I like the Crowes, I'm not going to fall for the money-grab tour.

I wouldn't pay a dime for that show. The secret sauce was always in the rhythm section (though it changed a bit over the years) - still, they always had a killer team, with Steve Gorman as the foundation.

With Steve gone, Eddie Harsch dead, and Sven and Johnny Colt retired, it's a cover band.

Rich is a solid guitar player, but no match for so many of the other lead players that came through - especially Marc Ford.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

If you like The Black Crowes, you may also like The Magpie Salute which is Rich Robinson and a couple of others from The Black Crowes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg9FGe5pWFg

WOW

I was listening to the Magpie Salute today!

http://youtu.be/tRBJHB6WTvA

Great song to listen to when it's snowing. I did a few weeks back.

http://youtu.be/OjVacm9MdAk

Edited by custom55

Black Crowes as far as the band

Ten as far as the debut

Southern Harmony for the follow up (smokes Vs).

Ten was one of the very best debut albums in rock history imo. They never came close to that “magic” ever again.

The Crowes are an awesome live band and also have oodles of better material for the years to follow.

Pearl Jam for me faded fast. They went in a direction I really did not care for after Yield. And also Vitalogy and No Code were far better as live material.

Pearl

Shake

Vs

I like Black Crowes but PJ is top 5 for me. I picked Shake because I prefer the Redux 2008 mix of Ten over the original master.

Can't stand that remaster of Ten. That more slick production is what actually made that debut sound so magical vs everything after.

Was a brilliant production from a sonic and studio stand point and made them sound like an arena band. Then they went to that Brendon O Brian dry sound....which is cool...but took away their balls and also brought out the sloppiness in their playing vs being more concise and razor sharp on the debut.

Ten has such a vibrant sound and it is not for everyone......but man did it leap frog them into stardom and they shit on it with that dry remaster.

And they never wrote songs like those on Ten again. Just my opinion. I had thoughts of the next Led Zeppelin after wearing out Ten on cassette in my car that summer of 91. Then Vs came out.....and while a good album I knew it was not going to happen. They did not embrace being arena rock stars. They wanted to be Neil Young. And yes they have a very loyal following and have their audience much like Rush. But I hopped off the ride after the Binaural tour.....that album was pure shit. The show stunk too. I actually walked out on the Binaural tour. Was just awful. Totally unprofessional. Standing around for 3 minutes between songs asking what do we want to play next. Just terrible.

Turned me off.

Edited by Todem