If You Could Only Own Three Rush Albums?

The Cat 3

:rush: :Alex: :rush: :Neil: :rush: :geddy: :rush:

Hallo Net Boys and Net Girls!!!

I have a nigh impossible task for you.

You can only possess three Rush albums (in any or all formats) for the rest of your life...

...which three would it be for you and why?

~Have fun, be nice, eat your vegetables and don't sit too close to the TV.

~Peace, Love, Rush

TC3

giphy.gif

Edited by The Cat 3
  • Like 1

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Predictable, isn't it? The funny thing with these three albums is my favorite Rush songs are not included!!!!

Hemispheres through Moving Pictures is Rush at their peak. Great song after great song. A perfect trilogy of perfection.

• Like 8

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Predictable, isn't it? The funny thing with these three albums is my favorite Rush songs are not included!!!!

Hemispheres through Moving Pictures is Rush at their peak. Great song after great song. A perfect trilogy of perfection.

I think it`s one of the easiest :rush: questions, and I wouldn`t hesitate to endorse your choices!

My favourite songs are included and there are no songs I would feel lukewarm towards - just all three at their musical peak, and Neil at his wordsmith-y best.

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 2

At first I figured "yeah, that is 'nigh impossible' ".

So what I did was went to the "Anthems" page and reviewed the lyrics of all the songs, playing the songs in my mind.

While I did so, the polar opposite themes were "wow, that was a good tune" and "meh, not so much" along with "yeah, all in all that was a good album" and "Jesus K Reist, that album was not all that good".

The final theme in my mind was, "While some albums have great individual songs, the album they are in, as an entire body of work, is shit". And in conclusion, there's a lot of "shit" out there.

Judging thusly, my three "keepers" are:

1. 2112

2. Moving Pictures

3. Power Windows

But what does this old coot know?

~Crack open a beer, fire up a joint, love your pets, and RUSH On!~

PJ.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 3

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

I was tempted to substitute 2112 for MP, but as has been mentioned earlier, MP is more consistent despite 2112 having greater "highs"

• Like 3

My choices are...

All the World's a Stage / A Farewell to Kings / Hemispheres

220px-Rush_ATWAS.jpg

I discovered Rush in 1977 when I purchased "A Farewell to Kings" when it was first released at a record store at the Shoppingtown Mall in Dewitt, New York.

I all happened quite by accident actually.

.For some reason we didn't have school that day and my friend John N. and I hitch-hiked to the mall.

We saw these two girls in the record store and I started talking to one who was holding "A Farewell to Kings", which had just been released.

My friend, John, walks up and says, "Aw, man, Rush sucks...Geddy Lee sings like a girl".

I grab a copy from the bin and say, "No, they're great dude, I'm getting this".

Mind you, I've never heard one note of their music that I can recall before that.

So, I buy the record, just to impress my new friend.

After spending the day with our new girlfriends, John and I hitch-hike back home.

We smoked a joint and headed to John's where we spun the new Rush album.

Our little 14 year minds were simply blown by what we heard that day.

(I would like to state for the record that John became the biggest Rush fan that day).

220px-Rush_A_Farewell_to_Kings.jpg

I picked up "All the World's a Stage" the very next day with money I managed to scrape together, borrowing the rest from my sister.

I played those records over and over and over and over again.

rushfarewellkings.jpg?w=228

Then it happened, 18 November 1977...

...Rush came to the War Memorial in Syracuse, New York, where I lived..

3 friends, Mike L., Jeff P. and Jamie M. and I got tickets (each of us telling our parents that we were sleeping at one another's houses) and off we went to the big rock show.

This was only my second concert, the first being KISS a few months earlier.

Rush_Hemispheres.jpg

That was it, I was a full-fledged Rush fanatic and there was no turning back.

I completed my collection quickly by adding "2112" a week later with my paper route money, adding the first three as soon I could thereafter.

Less than a year later, "Hemispheres" was released and I got to see them on that tour as well.

1410961322000-1978-RUSH-55321653.JPG

Ah, life of the rock and roll kid.

Looking back, I can see what that was not only was it a pivotal time for them, it was for me as well.

The perfect band at the perfect time...more than nostalgia, but rather a most magical part of my life's soundtrack.

Edited by The Cat 3
  • Like 5

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

2112, which has some fantastic highs, doesn't seem too consistent in Side 2.

A Farewell To Kings, same as 2112, is not consistent at all.

Signals comes close, but the highs mostly don't match up to the rest above.

• Like 2

My choices are...

220px-Rush_ATWAS.jpg

I discovered Rush in 1977 when I purchased "A Farewell to Kings" when it was first released at a record store at the Shoppingtown Mall in Dewitt, New York.

.For some reason we didn't have school that day and my friend John N. and I hitch-hiked to the mall.

We saw these two girls in the record store and I started talking to one who was holding "A Farewell to Kings", which had just been released.

My friend, John, walks up and says, "Aw, man, Rush sucks...Geddy Lee sings like a girl".

Mind you, I've never heard one note of their music that I can recall before that.

After spending the day with our new girlfriends, John and I hitch-hike back home.

(I would like to state for the record that John became the biggest Rush fan that day).

I picked up "All the World's a Stage" the very next day with money I managed to scrape together, borrowing the rest from my sister.

3 friends, Mike L., Jeff P. and Jamie M. and I got tickets (each of us telling our parents that we were sleeping at one another's houses) and off we went to the big rock show.

Rush_Hemispheres.jpg

I completed my collection quickly by adding "2112" a week later with my paper route money, adding the first three as soon I could thereafter.

Less than a year later, "Hemispheres" was released and I got to see them on that tour as well.

Looking back, I can see what that was not only was it a pivotal time for them, it was for me as well.

The perfect band at the perfect time...more than nostalgia, but rather a most magical part of my life's soundtrack.

Argh!'''how could I forget ATWAS?.........substitute that for MP

• Like 3

My choices are...

220px-Rush_ATWAS.jpg

Rush_Hemispheres.jpg

Argh!'''how could I forget ATWAS?.........substitute that for MP

Well, obviously you`re a terrible fraud :tsk:

• Like 2

My choices are...

220px-Rush_ATWAS.jpg

Rush_Hemispheres.jpg

That's close to my three.

• Like 2

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Signals - I could live without the songs on PW and MP, but The Weapon was one of the best things Rush ever did.

Life without PW? If you can call that living :sigh:
  • Like 2

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

My favorite song is there (NatSci), my favorite shorter song is there (Limelight), my #3 song is there (Strangiato), and they’re all perfect 10s.

Exactly, to all that!
  • Like 4