Musicians: Have you identified mistakes in any studio tracks? If so, where?

GeminiRising79

There's a creaking noise heard like a mic stand fell over in The Twilight Zone right after the first time Geddy sings "come explore your dreams creation..."

I just noticed this tonight - And hoping using the "Quote" key works properly.

Not sure if you are being serious @jnoble...

That is the sound of an old creaky door being opened. It's pretty much headphones only, but "Beyond this world strange things are known".

They are/were big fans of Rod Serling, and nothing about a "tribute" to somebody from their perspective would be an accident. It would have been re-recorded. That sound is exactly as it is meant to be.

Unless...there is another noise I have missed all this time? Spooky!

Nothing in Rush but there's a lot of well-documented ones in Led Zeppelin.

Squeaky pedal in Since I've Been Loving You

Phone ringing in The Ocean

Heroin-infused Hot Dog

I miss that about the 70s. It was before things went perfect.

There's a creaking noise heard like a mic stand fell over in The Twilight Zone right after the first time Geddy sings "come explore your dreams creation..."

I think that's just a little "fret noise", possibly from the acoustic guitar track.

• Like 1

I've always thought there was a bum note at the beginning of Alex's solo on 2112:Overture.

It's at 3:07.

It's either a bit of purposeful discordance, or his pick slipped. Because he didn't like too many takes, I'm guessing the latter.

He reproduces those notes pretty reliably when he plays live, so I think he meant for them to be there.

Here's an isolated guitar track from different sources. The live bits I think come from ATWAS. Jump to 2:18.

http://youtu.be/JSXjnK-Cmg8

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

I've always thought there was a bum note at the beginning of Alex's solo on 2112:Overture.

It's either a bit of purposeful discordance, or his pick slipped. Because he didn't like too many takes, I'm guessing the latter.

He reproduces those notes pretty reliably when he plays live, so I think he meant for them to be there.

Here's an isolated guitar track from different sources. The live bits I think come from ATWAS. Jump to 2:18.

Yeah I've never heard that bit as a mistake.

Me neither. It's not even that dissonant to my ears. The open G and B strings are in key and hint at a G chord, which works well with the chord progression of that part of the song.

• Like 1

Me neither. It's not even that dissonant to my ears. The open G and B strings are in key and hint at a G chord, which works well with the chord progression of that part of the song.

I've never done an analysis on it, but to my ears they just sound like a little melodic springboard for the next part of the solo. Good phrasing.

I've never done an analysis on it, but to my ears they just sound like a little melodic springboard for the next part of the solo. Good phrasing.

Yes, excellent phrasing.

• Like 1

Yes, excellent phrasing.

Thanks for the audio. He did it live too, so it's not a mistake.

But it's still dissonant. A strange choice, particularly for the start of a solo, but Alex was/is an unorthodox player to say the least...

Yes, excellent phrasing.

Thanks for the audio. He did it live too, so it's not a mistake.

But it's still dissonant. A strange choice, particularly for the start of a solo, but Alex was/is an unorthodox player to say the least...

His note selection can on occasion be out of left field, but more often than not his note selection is pretty mundane and "inside the box", and his solo here is an example of the latter.