Intelligent QUALITY Horror Movies

rushgoober

QUOTE (t2s @ Jun 18 2012, 09:39 PM)
Troll 2

This is my all-time favorite "so bad it's good" movie. It is utterly inspired mayhem and weirdness that I recommend to everyone I know.

The bologna sandwich and popcorn scenes are landmarks in cinema history.

Also the girl dancing in her room...gotta mention that too.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Family Portraits: A Trilogy Of America

Black Sunday (also others by Mario Bava including The Whip And The Body, Black Sabbath, Kill Baby Kill, Twitch Of The Death Nerve, and Lisa And The Devil)

Suspiria (also others by Dario Argento such as The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Deep Red, Inferno, Tenebre, Opera, and The Stendhal Syndrome)

The Seventh Victim

Cat People (haven't seen remake but it also has many fans...need to check that one out)

I Walked With A Zombie

The Curse Of The Cat People

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original...in fact, when I mention a film that has been remade, I'm referring to the original...despite the remake of Dawn Of The Dead being a good film, the original is better...most of the horror remakes are awful compared to the originals)

Last House On The Left

The Hills Have Eyes

A Nightmare On Elm Street

Halloween

Black Christmas

Lips Of Blood (also others by Jean Rollin, great French horror director)

Ringu (dvd name for original Japanese Ring film)

A Tale Of Two Sisters

The Beyond (zombie flick by Lucio Fulci...also check out his zombie films Zombie and City Of The Living Dead)

Night Of The Living Dead/Dawn Of The Dead/Day Of The Dead

Audition

Carnival Of Souls

Motel Hell

Dead Alive

M

The Black Cat (30s film with Karloff and Lugosi)

Phantasm

Let The Right One In

The Devil Rides Out

The Wicker Man

Tombs Of The Blind Dead

Pieces

Troll 2 (hilarious so-bad-it's-great movie)

The Devils

Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer

Psycho (big Hitchcock fan...other favorites include Notorious, Strangers On A Train, Rear Window, and Vertigo)

Werewolf Shadow

Fight For Your Life

Witchfinder General (known as The Conqueror Worm in the U.S., this starred Vincent Price as the title character...unlike many of his famous films, this is not campy but rather quite serious...Price is great in the role)

Twins Of Evil

Night Of The Demon (original UK title...known in the U.S. as Curse Of The Demon)

Blood On Satan's Claw

The Night Of The Hunter

Edited by Yefa

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Jun 8 2012, 04:49 PM)
First off, I have to say to the OP, I can understand your frustration with horror films to a certain point. However, if you just dig a little bit you will find a wealth of quality horror films. It just takes a little effort. Maybe someday the most marketable and popular horror movies will be good ones, but for now, this is what horror fans have to do. So even if on the surface, it seems like they are all about gore, that's not always the case.

Okay, so enough of that, here's some other horror movies I would recommend, while trying not to mention movies that have already been listed:

-The Mist: Some gore, but more on the psychological side. It's one of the Stephen King adaptations that actually works.

-[REC]: One of the scariest horror movies I've seen in years, an excellent Spanish take on the zombie story.

-The Exorcism of Emily Rose: Half courtroom drama, half demon possession movie and it works surprisingly well. Jennifer Carpenter gives an awesome performance.

-Se7en: If you haven't seen this you are missing out, I can't say enough good things about this film.

-American Psycho: Christian Bale's best performance in my opinion.

-Misery: Excellent psychological horror and the reason I'm terrified of Kathy Bates.

applaudit.gif

Excellent post & a good summation of why it's worth it for fans of well made horror to make that liitle bit more effort to find gems among the brown smelly stuff.

As well as those listed above (Emily Rose in particular - stunning movie!) and previously in this thread...

Red Dragon - Now, I'm as big a fan of Manhunter as anyone, but they actually got it right when they remade it with the same(ish) cast/budget as Silence Of The Lambs.

Hellraiser I - III - OK I know, cheesy, but I think well made (despite the foot in mouth line in III - Pinhead: "you can act in your world" Audience: "No she bloody can't!!"

Amityville Horror (the remake) - not everyone's fond of remakes, but I am so long as they're welll done; in my opinion, this one was... to the extent that I'd hesitate before watching it on my own (I'm 49 blush4.gif laugh.gif )

Pan's Labarynth - one of the most beautifully filmed fantasy/horror crossovers you'll ever see

As soon as I hit 'Add Reply' I'll think of others, but there's a few to mull over

QUOTE (Leslie145 @ Jun 27 2012, 04:27 AM)
First off, I have to say to the OP, I can understand your frustration with horror films to a certain point. However, if you just dig a little bit you will find a wealth of quality horror films. It just takes a little effort. Maybe someday the most marketable and popular horror movies will be good ones, but for now, this is what horror fans have to do. So even if on the surface, it seems like they are all about gore, that's not always the case.

Okay, so enough of that, here's some other horror movies I would recommend, while trying not to mention movies that have already been listed:

-The Mist: Some gore, but more on the psychological side. It's one of the Stephen King adaptations that actually works.

-[REC]: One of the scariest horror movies I've seen in years, an excellent Spanish take on the zombie story.

-The Exorcism of Emily Rose: Half courtroom drama, half demon possession movie and it works surprisingly well. Jennifer Carpenter gives an awesome performance.

-Se7en: If you haven't seen this you are missing out, I can't say enough good things about this film.

-Misery: Excellent psychological horror and the reason I'm terrified of Kathy Bates.

applaudit.gif

Excellent post & a good summation of why it's worth it for fans of well made horror to make that liitle bit more effort to find gems among the brown smelly stuff.

As well as those listed above (Emily Rose in particular - stunning movie!) and previously in this thread...

Red Dragon - Now, I'm as big a fan of Manhunter as anyone, but they actually got it right when they remade it with the same(ish) cast/budget as Silence Of The Lambs.

Hellraiser I - III - OK I know, cheesy, but I think well made (despite the foot in mouth line in III - Pinhead: "you can act in your world" Audience: "No she bloody can't!!"

Amityville Horror (the remake) - not everyone's fond of remakes, but I am so long as they're welll done; in my opinion, this one was... to the extent that I'd hesitate before watching it on my own (I'm 49 blush4.gif laugh.gif )

Pan's Labarynth - one of the most beautifully filmed fantasy/horror crossovers you'll ever see

As soon as I hit 'Add Reply' I'll think of others, but there's a few to mull over

Thank you! trink39.gif

I agree with you about Hellraiser 1-III, they have some cheesy moments but Pinhead is such an awesome villain that I'm willing to forgive it's flaws. I actually own all the Hellraiser movies (except for the remake) but the first 3 are the best and the most re-watchable.

I'm curious about what you said regarding the remake of Amityville Horror. I've never seen the remake, but the original scared the crap out of me. Have you seen the original? If so, what did you think of it and what made the remake more frightening?

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Jun 28 2012, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (Leslie145 @ Jun 27 2012, 04:27 AM)

applaudit.gif

Thank you! trink39.gif

I agree with you about Hellraiser 1-III, they have some cheesy moments but Pinhead is such an awesome villain that I'm willing to forgive it's flaws. I actually own all the Hellraiser movies (except for the remake) but the first 3 are the best and the most re-watchable.

I'm curious about what you said regarding the remake of Amityville Horror. I've never seen the remake, but the original scared the crap out of me. Have you seen the original? If so, what did you think of it and what made the remake more frightening?

What do Vampire Biscuits taste like?

unsure.gif

Recently, some students at Berklee created a score to go along with the original "Dracula" film that starred Bela Legosi. As you may know, there were no background music scores yet in those days.

I listened to it one night on a gothic radio program and thought "holy shit" when imagining the scenes from the movie with the goth music playing in the background.

There had been a screening of Dracula with the music score. Wish I had known about it and attended!

Edited by circumstantial tree

The original was a great movie, no doubt about that, but I honestly believe the remake outshines it; don't want to put any spoilers here (if you like the original I'd recommend you see the remake), but it's just one of those rare films where they actually get everything (casting, mood, atmosphere) right. They use every trick in the book to get you, but even though you know something's about to happen, it gets you every time.

Incidentally, is there a factory in the USA which produces scary looking kids? If so, Dakota Fanning is their cover girl laugh.gif

I've just gone from watching movies with the sound through a decent hifi to a full-on 7:1 surround sound system & I want to watch this again, but I know full well my wife will spend most of the film watching me & laughing at my reactions.

QUOTE (Leslie145 @ Jun 29 2012, 12:49 AM)

The original was a great movie, no doubt about that, but I honestly believe the remake outshines it; don't want to put any spoilers here (if you like the original I'd recommend you see the remake), but it's just one of those rare films where they actually get everything (casting, mood, atmosphere) right. They use every trick in the book to get you, but even though you know something's about to happen, it gets you every time.

Incidentally, is there a factory in the USA which produces scary looking kids? If so, Dakota Fanning is their cover girl laugh.gif

I've just gone from watching movies with the sound through a decent hifi to a full-on 7:1 surround sound system & I want to watch this again, but I know full well my wife will spend most of the film watching me & laughing at my reactions.

The remake sounds very interesting, it's so rare to see them get one right. I don't know if I'll ever see it though. The first one scared me so bad that I can't watch it again. So if the remake is scarier, like you say, I probably won't sleep for the rest of the year. Normally horror movies don't get to me that much but ones involving hauntings or paranormal activity are the movies that freak me out the most.

I agree with you about Dakota Fanning, I think Miko Hughes (Gage from Pet Sematary, Dylan from New Nightmare) came from the same creepy kid factory. That brat has been giving me nightmares for years.

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Jul 13 2012, 01:17 PM)

The remake sounds very interesting, it's so rare to see them get one right. I don't know if I'll ever see it though. The first one scared me so bad that I can't watch it again. So if the remake is scarier, like you say, I probably won't sleep for the rest of the year. Normally horror movies don't get to me that much but ones involving hauntings or paranormal activity are the movies that freak me out the most.

I agree with you about Dakota Fanning, I think Miko Hughes (Gage from Pet Sematary, Dylan from New Nightmare) came from the same creepy kid factory. That brat has been giving me nightmares for years.

I still don't know what vampire biscuits are supposed to taste like...

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 13 2012, 11:40 AM)

ph34r.gif

Okay, you asked for it. They taste like titties! It refers to a gothic girl's generous endowments. I first came across the term when I was reading Marilyn Manson's autobiography in high school. I've used it around the internet ever since then, even though it's not the classiest name, it's distinctive, so I kept it.

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Jul 13 2012, 04:34 PM)

ph34r.gif

Okay, you asked for it. They taste like titties! It refers to a gothic girl's generous endowments. I first came across the term when I was reading Marilyn Manson's autobiography in high school. I've used it around the internet ever since then, even though it's not the classiest name, it's distinctive, so I kept it.

ohmy.gif

Well I didn't expect that answer!

ph34r.gif laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Jul 13 2012, 12:17 PM)

When the Original came out I was 11 years old. I was staying over for a few days at my grandma's apartment in the city. Her landlord (who lived in the building) was a greek immigrant, who had a son my age. We convinced his parents to take us to the movie! We thought we were so cool going to see an R rated movie.

Well... the movie scared the living shit out of me so badly, that for the next week or two, I had to sleep on the floor of my sisters' room (they shared a room) between thier two beds!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 13 2012, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Jul 13 2012, 04:34 PM)

ph34r.gif

ohmy.gif

Well I didn't expect that answer!

ph34r.gif laugh.gif

trink39.gif

Well, now you know! laugh.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 13 2012, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Jul 13 2012, 12:17 PM)

When the Original came out I was 11 years old. I was staying over for a few days at my grandma's apartment in the city. Her landlord (who lived in the building) was a greek immigrant, who had a son my age. We convinced his parents to take us to the movie! We thought we were so cool going to see an R rated movie.

Well... the movie scared the living shit out of me so badly, that for the next week or two, I had to sleep on the floor of my sisters' room (they shared a room) between thier two beds!

You saw Amityville Horror when you were 11? Damn, I was a teenager when I saw it- I can't imagine seeing it as a kid like that, I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep in my own room either!

Halloween (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-.......it just goes on and on!! rofl3.gif )

Friday the 13th--(1-2-3-4-5 and more!!..anything to make more bucks..right???)

Both flicks and their many sequals are reasonably classic horror!!

considering most were late 70's/mid 80's...always great to watch on Halloween night! yes.gif laugh.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

Normally horror movies don't get to me that much but ones involving hauntings or paranormal activity are the movies that freak me out the most.

Aha - you used the 2 words which always pique my interest (and I'm not talking about "vampire biscuits" laugh.gif ... mind you... eyesre4.gif )... Paranormal Activity.

Wasn't originally keen on the first movie, but the second blew me away & by the time I got to the third & you get to see the whole story in context, I was hooked. Very simple idea, very effectively done.

Can't believe though I forgot one of my top 10 films of the last few years (horror or otherwise):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ab/30_Days_of_Night_teaser_poster.jpg/220px-30_Days_of_Night_teaser_poster.jpg

Beautifully filmed (the opening sequence with the ship at dusk is stunning), impeccably acted, and a completely new take on the vampire genre.

Josh hartnett is the 'star' (and very good he is, too), but Danny Huston steals every scene - he may have been a good villain in 'Edge Of Darkness' (another great movie btw):

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsH/21462-29077.jpg

...but in 30 days Of Night... whoa!

http://filmstokeepyouawake.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/danny-huston.jpg

OK, OK, I'm gushing, but I can't tell you how much this film gave me faith in modern horror

Edited by Leslie145

I've heard that the English movie "The Awakening" is supposed to be very good. It's been out on the other side of the pond for a while, but I think it is opening in the U.S. shortly.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 14 2012, 11:41 PM)
I've heard that the English movie "The Awakening" is supposed to be very good. It's been out on the other side of the pond for a while, but I think it is opening in the U.S. shortly.

It was pretty good. I liked Woman In Black better.

QUOTE (Leslie145 @ Aug 14 2012, 12:38 AM)
Normally horror movies don't get to me that much but ones involving hauntings or paranormal activity are the movies that freak me out the most.

Aha - you used the 2 words which always pique my interest (and I'm not talking about "vampire biscuits" laugh.gif ... mind you... eyesre4.gif )... Paranormal Activity.

Wasn't originally keen on the first movie, but the second blew me away & by the time I got to the third & you get to see the whole story in context, I was hooked. Very simple idea, very effectively done.

Can't believe though I forgot one of my top 10 films of the last few years (horror or otherwise):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ab/30_Days_of_Night_teaser_poster.jpg/220px-30_Days_of_Night_teaser_poster.jpg

Beautifully filmed (the opening sequence with the ship at dusk is stunning), impeccably acted, and a completely new take on the vampire genre.

Josh hartnett is the 'star' (and very good he is, too), but Danny Huston steals every scene - he may have been a good villain in 'Edge Of Darkness' (another great movie btw):

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsH/21462-29077.jpg

...but in 30 days Of Night... whoa!

http://filmstokeepyouawake.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/danny-huston.jpg

OK, OK, I'm gushing, but I can't tell you how much this film gave me faith in modern horror

I've only seen the first Paranormal Activity movie and just once, when it was in the theaters. The crowd at the showing was so obnoxious that I had a difficult time getting into the film and I think it was probably for the best. I've never tried to watch it again, I think I dodged a bullet with that movie. I don't think I'd have been able to sleep very well if I'd had the full experience.

30 Days of Night was a good horror movie, mostly because of the villain you mentioned. I can't say I agree with you on Josh Hartnett's performance though, I didn't like him or Melissa George. The sense of isolation and the vampires themselves made up for it though. It was really nice to see a modern vampire movie moving away from the romantic, sparkling vampires that have been so popular lately.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jul 19 2012, 09:34 PM)
Halloween (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-.......it just goes on and on!! rofl3.gif )

Friday the 13th--(1-2-3-4-5 and more!!..anything to make more bucks..right???)

It's going to be a drag for me to watch through all of those...

I read some years ago that Halloween was sort of 'Black Christmas 2'. I believe Carpenter got the character and part of the story from the guy who did Black Christmas and was planning a sequel of some sort...or something along those lines, can't really recall. Anyhow , Margot Kidder was freaking awesome in Black Christmas. She plays a foul mouthed, chain smoking, liquored up hussy...gee, wonder how she pulled that off?! tongue.gif

The Serpent and the Rainbow freaked me out.

You guys have got to watch The Shrine. 2010 I believe. So atmospheric and creepy. Takes place in the woods in Poland. One of the best horror movies I've seen in the past ten years and I watch horror movies by the dozens. It's a slow build but ends with a bang and an ending you don't expect. Edited by presto123