Bands who best known song is a cover

tangy

Don't recall seeing this one

Los Lobos best known tune imo is la bamba, a Ritchie valens song.

Good one but I think RushFanForever beat you to it!
  • Like 1

Don't recall seeing this one

Los Lobos best known tune imo is la bamba, a Ritchie valens song.

Good one but I think RushFanForever beat you to it!

He sure did!

Hmmmmmm...who else,?????

How about this UK No. 1 from 1986...

• Like 2

How about this UK No. 1 from 1986...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTlv6OL0tc4

I remember hearing that cover as a kid on a compilation cassette my mother had.

I thought this was who actually did the song.

• Like 1

Nazareth - This Flight Tonight/Love Hurts

Deep Purple (Mark I only) - Hush

Alex Harvey Band - Framed (not sure if it was their biggest hit but it was up there)

Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe/All Along the Watchtower

Good call on DP Mark 1. Written by Joe South I do believe.

Completely disagree about Hendrix. His most famous song has gotta be Purple Haze which he wrote.

you're right on the Hendrix, looked it up Purple Haze peaked @ #3, All Along the Watch Tower @ #5 and Hey Joe @ #6 (UK Charts) but hey I was close

No you weren't. After Purple Haze I'd say Foxey Lady is his second best known song. Then maybe Voodoo Chile (Slight Return).

Really surprised no one has mentioned Janis Joplin...........

Me and Bobby McGee written by Kris Kristofferson and originally performed by Roger Miller

Piece of My Heart originally performed by Erma Franklin (Aretha's older sister) in 1967

Ball & Chain originally performed by Big Mama Thornton

Cry Baby originally recorded by Garnet Mimms & The Enchanters in 1963

Try (Just A Little Bit Harder) originally recorded and released by Lorraine Ellison in 1968

To me it speaks loudly of her talent to take these songs and totally make them her own.

• Like 2

Really surprised no one has mentioned Janis Joplin...........

Me and Bobby McGee written by Kris Kristofferson and originally performed by Roger Miller

Piece of My Heart originally performed by Erma Franklin (Aretha's older sister) in 1967

Ball & Chain originally performed by Big Mama Thornton

Cry Baby originally recorded by Garnet Mimms & The Enchanters in 1963

Try (Just A Little Bit Harder) originally recorded and released by Lorraine Ellison in 1968

To me it speaks loudly of her talent to take these songs and totally make them her own.

Good one. I wondered about Bobby Mcgee but forgot to look it up.

Janis originally did piece of my heart with big brother and the holding company and Wikipedia says its their highest charting song

So adding big bro to the list too

Not convinced that highest charting works for determining what a band is best know for. Example: RUSH

It may not be 100% accurate but can you think of a better way to gauge the best known tune?

Of course best known tune is kinda vague.

I imagine there may be regional differences in terms of best known tune.

Not convinced that highest charting works for determining what a band is best know for. Example: RUSH

See, also, Jump.

I have to think jump is up there as one their best known tunes.

Really. I have to say that new world man is one of rush better known tunes. I hear it pretty regularly on the local fm classic rock channel.

See, also, Jump.

I have to think jump is up there as one their best known tunes.

Really. I have to say that new world man is one of rush better known tunes. I hear it pretty regularly on the local fm classic rock channel.

It's up there. It's not their best known song.

It may not be 100% accurate but can you think of a better way to gauge the best known tune?

What song do they close with live?

I'm not saying chart position is completely divorced from "best known," but there are a lot of bands that have a signature song (or two) that aren't necessarily the highest charting one(s). Take albums for a moment. Ballbreaker charted higher than Back in Black. Which would you say AC/DC is better known for?

• Like 2

I'm not saying chart position is completely divorced from "best known," but there are a lot of bands that have a signature song (or two) that aren't necessarily the highest charting one(s). Take albums for a moment. Ballbreaker charted higher than Back in Black. Which would you say AC/DC is better known for?

Yeah. Thats a good idea. The closing song does mean something.

The idea of a best known song is a hell of a lot easier with artists with few known tunes. Preferably one hit wonders.

Bands like vh rush, etc etc who have tons of great tunes over many years, its near impossible imo to say definitively what the best known tune is

• Like 1

The idea of a best known song is a hell of a lot easier with artists with few known tunes. Preferably one hit wonders.

Bands like vh rush, etc etc who have tons of great tunes over many years, its near impossible imo to say definitively what the best known tune is

Tom Sawyer is definitely the song RUSH are best known for.
  • Like 3

Tom Sawyer is definitely the song RUSH are best known for.

Pye Dubois approves of this post.

I agree but others are contenders.

The spirit of radio is up there for sure.

Yeah, I think bands that have a deep discography can be tough to pinpoint. Staying with AC/DC, is it Back in Black, You Shook Me All Night Long, For Those About to Rock, Thunderstruck, Dirty Deeds, Highway to Hell . . .? Almost impossible to say for sure.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think bands that have a deep discography can be tough to pinpoint. Staying with AC/DC, is it Back in Black, You Shook Me All Night Long, For Those About to Rock, Thunderstruck, Dirty Deeds, Highway to Hell . . .? Almost impossible to say for sure.

I found this to be quite interesting.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-classic-rock-isnt-what-it-used-to-be/

• Like 1

I found this to be quite interesting.

https://fivethirtyei...-it-used-to-be/

Good find.