What in the world of music did you learn today?

Entre_Perpetuo

I just learned that Jeff Porcaro plays drums on Pink Floyd's "Mother," allegedly because the time signatures were too tricky for Nick Mason to learn in time to record.
  • Like 2

That 78 year old Paul McCartney is still better than 99% of the people out there earning a successful living making music.

That there are apparently at least 67 people that still make a living making music.

I learned that 99% of all YouTube reaction videos to Rush songs are really, really DUMB.

Who lets these nincompoops have access to the Internet? I wanna know! :huh:

• Like 2

I was listening to the 80s On 8 Big 40 Countdown on SiriusXM last night and the episode was on this week in 1987. Once original MTV VJ Mark Goodman got to We'll Be Together by Sting, which was number 10 for the week after a peak at number 7, he mentioned that it was written for a Kirin beer commercial.

I learned that 99% of all YouTube reaction videos to Rush songs are really, really DUMB.

I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to watching reaction videos. What bothers me the most is the need to pause the song and analyze for five minutes the 30 seconds they just heard. Yeah, I know, copyright stuff and all that. But that is not how you're supposed to listen to a song for the first time. Take it all in at once and then form your opinion.

• Like 1

I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to watching reaction videos. What bothers me the most is the need to pause the song and analyze for five minutes the 30 seconds they just heard. Yeah, I know, copyright stuff and all that. But that is not how you're supposed to listen to a song for the first time. Take it all in at once and then form your opinion.

A few of the people are fairly well educated in music, so their videos are pretty decent. The vast majority are just kids playing with their YouTube toy, because they love to hear themselves talk....and talk and talk and talk....

• Like 1

That 78 year old Paul McCartney is still better than 99% of the people out there earning a successful living making music.

That there are apparently at least 67 people that still make a living making music.

Gene, Paul, Tommy and Eric. That's 4 right there.

I suppose if you stretch the definition of music far enough....

I just found out that Uriah Heep was a character in Charles Dickens's novel David Copperfield, I didn't have time to read the book. I watched the film with Hugh Dancy and Sally Field that was made in 2000.

Gene, Paul, Tommy and Eric. That's 4 right there.

I suppose if you stretch the definition of music far enough....

What if I throw in Quorthon?

I just found out that Uriah Heep was a character in Charles Dickens's novel David Copperfield, I didn't have time to read the book. I watched the film with Hugh Dancy and Sally Field that was made in 2000.

The magician David Copperfield took his stage name from the Dickens novel as well.

There is also a guitar that Keith Richards nicknamed "Micawber" -- who was also a character in David Copperfield.

cc31b3983721ba2f1c04af04a73bdae6--keith-richards-guitar-players.jpg

Soundgarden did a version of New Damage with guest star Brian May, and it features some of the nastiest soloing I've ever heard from him.
  • Like 1