Entre_Perpetuo

choose one  

21 members have voted

1. 1. band

2. 2. definitive 70s album

• Sad Wings Of Destiny
    • Selling England By The Pound
  3. 3. Definitive 80s album

Another totally incoherent poll to make J2112YYZ scratch his head. The real question is whether this will be as surprisingly balanced as the Kansas vs. Iron Maiden poll, and of course what will Rick choose ;)
  • Like 2

Well I like Genesis but when I did my top 50 bands in the top 20 bands thread, they only just made it inside the 50. Judas Priest meanwhile were number 1.

Prog fans and metal detractors no doubt will vote Genesis and metal fans and prog haters will vote Priest. The rest will be split.

• Like 2

I think Priest are going to pull it through on here, as I’m struggling to think of many TRFers who like Genesis but not JP, whereas I know a few who are the opposite. Still, I wonder if SEBTP might not overtake Sad Wings, and I wonder if Mick will board the Phil Collins train over Priest’s most radio ready material.

For me Priest are one of the greatest pure metal bands of all time and '70s Genesis were one of the greatest pure prog bands of all time. Both mutually exclusive.

I cannot therefore choose between them in the first two categories.

However if I could vote in the third category British Steel beats Invisible Touch by a mile.

• Like 3

Well I like Genesis but when I did my top 50 bands in the top 20 bands thread, they only just made it inside the 50. Judas Priest meanwhile were number 1.

Prog fans and metal detractors no doubt will vote Genesis and metal fans and prog haters will vote Priest. The rest will be split.

Unless you're a weirdo like me who really loves metal and really loves prog! ..... Makes this nigh on impossible!
  • Like 3

I've been really starting to like Genesis recently, particularly Selling England By The Pound.

But Priest win easily.

• Like 2

Just some food for thought .....

- Selling England By The Pound is one of the greatest prog albums of all time (if not THE greatest).

- Sad Wings Of Destiny is very good but probably not one of the greatest metal albums of all time.

• Like 2

I think Priest are going to pull it through on here, as I’m struggling to think of many TRFers who like Genesis but not JP

You can place me in that select group, then. If 2020 has given me anything, it is a great admiration and affection for Genesis, a band I undervalued before.

Priest has always left me sort of indifferent -- more of an ideal than an actual listening experience.

• Like 1

Genesis for me.

They have a catalog that runs deep and varied.

And to me, Priest's definitive 80s album is Screaming for Vengeance - IMHO it's their best ever album.

I love both bands - but Genesis struck a vibe - even through their 3 piece years -that was distinctly theirs. I'm not sure if I feel that way about Priest after the 80s.

Also - live, Genesis were untouchable. I have always felt that Priest struggled to replicate, or transcend their studio recordings.

• Like 2

Not close EP. :)

Although I will disagree with you that British Steel is their "definitive" 80s album. Screaming For Vengeance deserves that title IMO.

FWIW, 80s Genesis is their apex.

Genesis for me.

And to me, Priest's definitive 80s album is Screaming for Vengeance - IMHO it's their best ever album.

I love both bands - but Genesis struck a vibe - even through their 3 piece years -that was distinctly theirs. I'm not sure if I feel that way about Priest after the 80s.

Also - live, Genesis were untouchable. I have always felt that Priest struggled to replicate, or transcend their studio recordings.

I almost put Screaming For Vengeance in the last category instead of British Steel, but then decided if I was going to play favorites I would’ve done Foxtrot vs. Stained Class in the second category instead. Vengeance is better, I agree, but I think British Steel is the slightly larger landmark, if only for the success of Breaking The Law.

• Like 3

I've liked both bands, and groups a lot. I'm not able to pick, choose, and decide. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Genesis for me.

Have you ever head the live set that comes with the Turbo deluxe edition? I absolutely love it.

• Like 1