Steven Wilson - The Future Bites poll - do you think it's any good?

treeduck

The Future Bites poll  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like what you've heard of the new Steven Wilson album so far?

• Yes, it's just as great as his other work
    • I haven't heard it enough yet
    • No, Wilson has drifted too far away from the kind of stuff I like to listen to
    • I haven't heard any of it
    • It's ok, kind of poppy, I might buy it
    • It's decent but I won't buy it or listen to it more than once or twice
    • It's crap, disco nonsense
    • I don't like it so far but I've not given up on the idea of getting it
    • I like one song so far, King Ghost, but I can't see me buying the album for one song
    • I can't stand Steven Wilson's "music"
    • I liked Porcupine Tree but I've never been that interested in Wilson's solo work
    • I'm on the fence, and I might stay there and wait for the next Wilson release
    • Who the f**k is Steven Wilson?
    • Wilson was always boring, PT was dull too
    • To me the new album songs sound terrific, I never liked any of his other stuff at all

It's honestly just the songs. Same Asylum As Before is decent, but I can't do much else. I feel that this album's songs are stronger as a whole and I love me some good soundscapes, which this electronic stuff has.

Pariah is out of this world good.

Agree. Another example of something that grew on me and wasn't immediately a favorite. Now I can't imagine not liking it.

It's honestly just the songs. Same Asylum As Before is decent, but I can't do much else. I feel that this album's songs are stronger as a whole and I love me some good soundscapes, which this electronic stuff has.

Agree. Another example of something that grew on me and wasn't immediately a favorite. Now I can't imagine not liking it.

Yeah, I was thinking about the reasons that I don't really like "The Future Bites", I made the mistake of listening back to my favorites - In Absentia, Deadwing, FoaBP, Raven, HCE; there's really no competition there. I wrote up a big analysis of my thoughts, coming to terms with why I don't like it (focusing on some key elements for me: drums/guitar/song arrangement/lyrics/emotional connection) - considered posting it, realizing that it's just my personal opinion, surely somebody would peg me as a whining prog-snob. Anyway, one of the things I came down to was a more reasonable comparison might be for an album I didn't really care for as much at first, but came to love - and that would be "To the Bone." Even on that album, songs like Pariah or Permanating, I didn't dig much at first - but eventually came to like - reasons being there was still a dramatic dynamic and they still felt like a band playing; interacting. I came to really like the dramatic climax in Pariah and the falsetto of Permanating was catchy and easy on the ears. Frankly, I just don't really experience those hooks at all on Future Bites. There is a sterile lack of musical interaction (mostly computers on the drums...), dynamics are relatively flat and the thought I had was on to the Bone there were some musical hooks that I came to like and would look forward to coming up again in the repetitive arrangements, but on TFB, I was always waiting for such a hook to appear...and they never did (that, and the falsetto hook wore out it's welcome with Permanating!)

• Like 1

I've listened to HCE enough to know I really like it, and I've heard TRTRTS and FOABP once or twice each. I thought those were good too. This new one I listened to yesterday and I thought it was really great! A lot of fresh combinations of classic sounds and some really bold songwriting. I'm not a huge Steven Wilson fan but I don't think this is a sheer drop off from other records of his I've heard.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I was thinking about the reasons that I don't really like "The Future Bites", I made the mistake of listening back to my favorites - In Absentia, Deadwing, FoaBP, Raven, HCE; there's really no competition there. I wrote up a big analysis of my thoughts, coming to terms with why I don't like it (focusing on some key elements for me: drums/guitar/song arrangement/lyrics/emotional connection) - considered posting it, realizing that it's just my personal opinion, surely somebody would peg me as a whining prog-snob. Anyway, one of the things I came down to was a more reasonable comparison might be for an album I didn't really care for as much at first, but came to love - and that would be "To the Bone." Even on that album, songs like Pariah or Permanating, I didn't dig much at first - but eventually came to like - reasons being there was still a dramatic dynamic and they still felt like a band playing; interacting. I came to really like the dramatic climax in Pariah and the falsetto of Permanating was catchy and easy on the ears. Frankly, I just don't really experience those hooks at all on Future Bites. There is a sterile lack of musical interaction (mostly computers on the drums...), dynamics are relatively flat and the thought I had was on to the Bone there were some musical hooks that I came to like and would look forward to coming up again in the repetitive arrangements, but on TFB, I was always waiting for such a hook to appear...and they never did (that, and the falsetto hook wore out it's welcome with Permanating!)

I've put some of Radiohead's albums into a similar 'sterile' box (Kid A, Amnesiac, and moments on their last 4 albums). To me there's a lifelessness in the electronics, an about face from their albums through OK Computer that were organic even when electronics were used. If I set their other albums aside, listening to Kid A and Amnesiac as alternative electronic albums, I can enjoy them more at face value. But I don't turn to Radiohead for that style of music (and rarely seek out electronic based music nowadays), similar to not looking to SW for my pop music fix.

http://youtu.be/v1vm4mUyuGo

The £10K boxset reveal.

The £10k went to a UK fundraiser.

The same guy is going to upload the exclusive track soon

https://www.reddit.c...stemaker_today/

Here's a few bonus tracks to hold us over until he does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxHXQfV7Mt4

From the deluxe set's cassette, which I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQO75WqI5m8

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

So I am not a huge prog fan but love Yes. I recently listened to this Steven Wilson guy's remixes and honestly it blew my mind. I knew he was a musician because I read prog for the Yes stories but dam I think the guy is a genius in the way he mixed those albums. The music came alive and I been listening to Yes for well on 40 years now. So is there some music that Steve Wilson has made that someone can recommend? Obviously, people are not hot on this one but..I am sorry for going off topic but his work might be the best music I have ever heard. I hope I don't sound nutty. Edited by Missing1202
  • Like 2

So I am not a huge prog fan but love Yes. I recently listened to this Steven Wilson guy's remixes and honestly it blew my mind. I knew he was a musician because I read prog for the Yes stories but dam I think the guy is a genius in the way he mixed those albums. The music came alive and I been listening to Yes for well on 40 years now. So is there some music that Steve Wilson has made that someone can recommend? Obviously, people are not hot on this one but..I am sorry for going off topic but his work might be the best music I have ever heard. I hope I don't sound nutty.

To me he is a genius.

Saw porcupine tree twice and SW to the bone tour. His live sound was incredible.

In absentia, deadwing and fear of a blank planet by porcupine tree were my intro.

Foabp has a solo by Alex lifeson so thats a bonus. Enjoy.

• Like 1

I will definitely buy a couple of those tonight. I wonder if he has any stuff on Blu-ray or he mixed his own stuff on 5.1. I appreciate you confirming what I said because I don't know much about music I just know the way stuff sounds. I think anyone who can elevate another artists music so that I feel like I am hearing it again for the first time has something special. I been debating buying that reissue set that had the Farewell to Kings Blu-ray he did. I have the original blu ray mix but that Richard Chuckie guy does not know how to mix surround.
  • Like 1

I will definitely buy a couple of those tonight. I wonder if he has any stuff on Blu-ray or he mixed his own stuff on 5.1. I appreciate you confirming what I said because I don't know much about music I just know the way stuff sounds. I think anyone who can elevate another artists music so that I feel like I am hearing it again for the first time has something special. I been debating buying that reissue set that had the Farewell to Kings Blu-ray he did. I have the original blu ray mix but that Richard Chuckie guy does not know how to mix surround.

All of his solo albums and most of the Porcupine tree material are mixed in 5.1 , and they're all very well done. A couple of the Porcupine Tree 5.1 mixes were done before SW started doing them himself, but obviously all the later Porcupine Tree and all of Steven Wilson's solo albums are mixed y him.

Agree on the Yes remixes, there's a level of detail and lack of tape hiss that really makes them sparkle. I've been listening to Fragile and Close to the Edge for about 35 years. They have never sounded so good.

• Like 2

All of his solo albums and most of the Porcupine tree material are mixed in 5.1 , and they're all very well done. A couple of the Porcupine Tree 5.1 mixes were done before SW started doing them himself, but obviously all the later Porcupine Tree and all of Steven Wilson's solo albums are mixed y him.

Agree on the Yes remixes, there's a level of detail and lack of tape hiss that really makes them sparkle. I've been listening to Fragile and Close to the Edge for about 35 years. They have never sounded so good.

Just listened to Wilson's RELAYER a few times tonight. Stunning.

• Like 1

Just listened to Wilson's RELAYER a few times tonight. Stunning.

It is, prior to the 5.1 mix it wasn't an album I appreciated as much as the prior 3. Now I wouldn't hesitate to give it a spin. I think the (mediocre) quality of the original mix stole from me some enjoyment of the material.

Edited by stoopid

Speaking of surround music, I gave 5 random tracks from Future Bites a spin on my 5.1 setup and it's very good, lots of well thought out discrete surround elements and very balanced mix. Fills the room nicely. Plan on giving it a thorough listen from start to finish this weekend. My outlook for enjoying the 5.1 mix of the album isn't as dreary as it was just a few days ago. Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

The new songs will be stunning live when I get to hopefully see him this September, Personal Shopper is the one i'm looking forward to the most.

Have only listened to the album twice so far on earphones whilst out walking, need to get it into the car CD player for further appreciation.

• Like 1

The new songs will be stunning live when I get to hopefully see him this September, Personal Shopper is the one i'm looking forward to the most.

Have only listened to the album twice so far on earphones whilst out walking, need to get it into the car CD player for further appreciation.

How’s even going to be able to present those songs in the context of a band?

• Like 1

He's played the keyboard along with Adam on a few select tracks. Two keyboardists should suffice. Craig is well known in the drum world for his electronic drum playing, so recreating the drum parts is feasible as well.

SW only needs to perform maybe one of the purely electronic songs, there's 3 other tracks that aren't as keyboard centric.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

He's played the keyboard along with Adam on a few select tracks. Two keyboardists should suffice. Craig is well known in the drum world for his electronic drum playing, so recreating the drum parts is feasible as well.

SW only needs to perform maybe one of the purely electronic songs, there's 3 other tracks that aren't as keyboard centric.

I gotta say, I am really digging the SW cover of Taylor swifts. Last great American dynasty. Yikes

Off topic and old news but it was great to see SW make amends with Wolfgang van halen. Class act.

Off topic and old news but it was great to see SW make amends with Wolfgang van halen. Class act.

I like HOW he made amends, not by changing his story but elaborating on why he said what he said. He could have avoided the whole controversy though, there's really no reason to 'slam' EVH or even talk a bit sideways, especially this close to their death - he was an innovator at the very least, show some f$%#ing respect. :codger:

Edited by stoopid

I like HOW he made amends, not by changing his story but elaborating on why he said what he said. He could have avoided the whole controversy though, there's really no reason to 'slam' EVH or even talk a bit sideways, especially this close to their death - he was an innovator at the very least, show some f$%#ing respect. :codger:

Indeed. May have freaked him out when wolf said he was a fan. It impressed me that wolf liked deadwing. Great taste.

Anyone else loving the biffy clyro remix of personal shopper?

Kinda has a porcupine tree vibe to me.

TBH I've been avoiding the album and the tracks. Better music has come along and it's in the rearview mirror. I do plan on circling back when there's a new music release lull. Someday.