Steven Wilson - The Future Bites poll - do you think it's any good?

treeduck

The Future Bites poll  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like what you've heard of the new Steven Wilson album so far?

• Yes, it's just as great as his other work
    • I haven't heard it enough yet
    • No, Wilson has drifted too far away from the kind of stuff I like to listen to
    • I haven't heard any of it
    • It's ok, kind of poppy, I might buy it
    • It's decent but I won't buy it or listen to it more than once or twice
    • It's crap, disco nonsense
    • I don't like it so far but I've not given up on the idea of getting it
    • I like one song so far, King Ghost, but I can't see me buying the album for one song
    • I can't stand Steven Wilson's "music"
    • I liked Porcupine Tree but I've never been that interested in Wilson's solo work
    • I'm on the fence, and I might stay there and wait for the next Wilson release
    • Who the f**k is Steven Wilson?
    • Wilson was always boring, PT was dull too
    • To me the new album songs sound terrific, I never liked any of his other stuff at all

From what I have heard there is nothing that does anything for me. He appears to be heading in a musical direction which does not really appeal to me in any way whatsoever.

However, it is Steven Wilson so no doubt we will get loads of 'it's the greatest thing since sliced bread' fawnings.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

He needs a producer.

Without a band - there's limited dynamic - or surprises. He needs a foil to bring that out. I get that he wears his influences on his sleeve. That's cool. I like some of his solo output quite a bit.

But many times it sounds too slick, boring, medicated -- blaahh.

• Like 1

I think his new album is complete nonsense.

I love Porcupine Tree and I loved The Raven That Refused To Sing and Hand Cannot Erase. All his other solo stuff has been mediocre at best. To The Bone was solid but not up to par with the previous two releases which were simply divine.

He is becoming way too grumpy and taking himself way too seriously now. And does not like the guitar anymore?

Ok Steven.....loved your output with PT and some solo stuff.....but time for me to move on from ya. Enjoy the ride into the style you are embracing now.

Not my cup of tea.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

I've heard the four new songs from the album and I haven't really liked any of them so far.

Listen to the four extra tracks from "The B-sides Collection", if you haven't

Are they not on the album?

No, except for King Ghost.

That's probably the best song from the new songs.

• Like 1

He needs a producer.

Without a band - there's limited dynamic - or surprises. He needs a foil to bring that out. I get that he wears his influences on his sleeve. That's cool. I like some of his solo output quite a bit.

You do realize that he is the man in the studio? Like his music or not and I don't like it all but to me it is clear the quality is top notch.

I will reserve judgement until I hear the whole record.

I might still get the album even though I've not been all that impressed so far, because all that disco stuff will make a nice contrast to all the death metal shit I listen to! :sundog:

You know you will regret it!!! ..... or become the new John Travolta..

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I might still get the album even though I've not been all that impressed so far, because all that disco stuff will make a nice contrast to all the death metal shit I listen to! :sundog:

giphy.gif

The new John Travolta is Santa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tbx9HN3qk8

• Like 2

He needs a producer.

You do realize that he is the man in the studio? Like his music or not and I don't like it all but to me it is clear the quality is top notch.

Yes that's kinda my point. He needs another force to challenge some of his ideas and get him thinking outside of the box a bit more.

I don't really think Steven is really challenging any conventions - he seems to be trying to force his way into some sort of pop acceptance.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

I guess they couldn't spare 6 million for Uma Thurman.

• Like 1

He needs a producer.

Yes that's kinda my point. He needs another force to challenge some of his ideas and get him thinking outside of the box a bit more.

I don't really think Steven is really challenging any conventions - he seems to be trying to force his way into some sort of pop acceptance.

Most pop fans probably don't know who he is.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

I guess they couldn't spare 6 million for Uma Thurman.

She wouldn't look stupid enough for that.

• Like 2

giphy.gif

:7up:
  • Like 1

He needs a producer.

Even super geniuses are better in a group than solo. Imo. So you raise a valid point for sure about an outside opinion.

I like his pop side. I cant imagine it being all successful . unless he collaborates with harry styles....

At least his pop stuff is usually less depressing. My problem is he does depressing so very well.

• Like 1

He needs a producer.

Even super geniuses are better in a group than solo. Imo. So you raise a valid point for sure about an outside opinion.

I like his pop side. I cant imagine it being all successful . unless he collaborates with harry styles....

At least his pop stuff is usually less depressing. My problem is he does depressing so very well.

I thought To the Bone was pretty good - some stuff seemed pretty anthemic and rocking (and depressing haha).

• Like 1

It shouldn't come as any surprise.

The Raven That Refused To Sing and Hand Cannot Erase were both excellent albums.

However when To The Bone arrived all the signs were pointing to a change in direction (the wrong direction IMO).

So, I kinda hoped that it was a temporary thing and the next release would 'steer the ship into better waters' ...... but no. apparently not.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 3

Mixed feelings. I'm not entirely surprised by this direction - we got a small preview of it on "Song of I" from the last record. I recall a while back in some interview or other, Steven was praising Billie Eilish and the really minimalist production on her tracks. The songs we've heard so far make it obvious it wasn't just a passing moment of admiration, it was something he took on board in no small measure.

The thing is, trying to tap into that sort of current and speak to twentysomethings in their language when you're in your fifties is a dicey thing to attempt. You may, to a degree, sort of get where their heads are at on an intellectual/philosophical level, but you can't know what it's really like to be coming of age in the current era when that phase of life was three decades ago for you. Us Gen-X'ers may have a little more in common with the kids than our parents did with us, in terms of the media we consume - we hear a lot of the same music (whether we like it or not), watch a lot of the same trending TV series, etc. But we don't fully grasp what it's like to be them, and they know it. And if he's speaking to fans who have been with him since Porcupine Tree, most of them are old enough that they don't necessarily need or want him to try to talk to them in the musical language of Generation Z.

I'm definitely into some electronic music (I guess that's obvious), but I'm not big on the really minmalist, stripped-down sort that seems to have been Steven's inspiration for this record. You definitely can change your instrumental palette from being guitar-centric to more synth-based without abandoning a more complex, prog-minded approach. You don't have to discard all that's come before to strike out into new territories. He could still have had Adam Holzman come in and liven it up with some of his insane soloing and electric piano comping, for example. I think things like that might have made this shift a bit more palatable to many fans who are understandably going, "Who is this person and what happened to Steven Wilson?".

Having said all that, I at least can't fault him for being self-indulgent and doing exactly what he feels driven to do at any given time. He's the antithesis of the kind of artist who locks into a groove and stays in it for the rest of their career...he takes big risks and tries things. And I also can't blame him for being a little grumpy and cynical in 2020 and feeling compelled to rail against some of the vapid, stupid, soul-destroying trends in modern society. From a selfish standpoint, I kind of hope that these experiments in semi-trendy electro minimalism are a phase that will somehow, in future work, be incorporated into a larger picture that doesn't completely ignore his past.

(OMG, I feel like I just wrote a novel...but I don't feel like deleting it and trying to condense it into one paragraph, so I'll just post it, hehe.)

• Like 5