2020-2021 College basketball thread

Fordgalaxy

Being a long time Fighting Illini fan and a very ardent Dookie hater, I thought this would be a fine way to start this thread.

SZ2ojLrl.jpg

Who's your favorite Fighting Illini team of all time?

Who's your favorite player?

Being a long time Fighting Illini fan and a very ardent Dookie hater, I thought this would be a fine way to start this thread.

SZ2ojLrl.jpg

1988-1989 and Nick Anderson. He made a shot that was about half court to beat Indiana on their court and my whole family were jumping around like they'd won the championship. I liked Kendall Gill a lot too.

SZ2ojLrl.jpg

1988-1989 and Nick Anderson. He made a shot that was about half court to beat Indiana on their court and my whole family were jumping around like they'd won the championship. I liked Kendall Gill a lot too.

Uggggh. That was an interesting year, IU won the Big Ten that year, but faltered in the tournament, while Michigan and Illinois made the Final Four. IU (my team) rested their starters in the final game of the regular season vs Iowa (no B10 tournament then) and that cost them a #1 seed.

This was probably Knight's best coaching job, Illinois and Michigan had much more talent but IU won the regular season championship anyway with a team that had no business doing so.

I was concerned when the Illini hired Underwood, he's a helluva coach. I'm kind of surprised he didn't turn it around more quickly, to be honest. But now that he has, they're going to be formidable for a while.

• Like 1

SZ2ojLrl.jpg

Uggggh. That was an interesting year, IU won the Big Ten that year, but faltered in the tournament, while Michigan and Illinois made the Final Four. IU (my team) rested their starters in the final game of the regular season vs Iowa (no B10 tournament then) and that cost them a #1 seed.

This was probably Knight's best coaching job, Illinois and Michigan had much more talent but IU won the regular season championship anyway with a team that had no business doing so.

I was concerned when the Illini hired Underwood, he's a helluva coach. I'm kind of surprised he didn't turn it around more quickly, to be honest. But now that he has, they're going to be formidable for a while.

I hope. I completely understand why he did it, but I've never forgiven Bill Self for jumping ship so quickly. I'm sure he loses sleep over it too. ;-)

SZ2ojLrl.jpg

I hope. I completely understand why he did it, but I've never forgiven Bill Self for jumping ship so quickly. I'm sure he loses sleep over it too. ;-)

He's too busy losing sleep over the NCAA investigations. It looks like his tenure at Kansas may not end well.

• Like 1

SZ2ojLrl.jpg

He's too busy losing sleep over the NCAA investigations. It looks like his tenure at Kansas may not end well.

Doubt it. They look the other way and wrist slap the big names *cough-Roy Williams-cough*.....*cough-Zion got paid-cough*............

• Like 1

SZ2ojLrl.jpg

Doubt it. They look the other way and wrist slap the big names *cough-Roy Williams-cough*.....*cough-Zion got paid-cough*............

Read today that Shesheffski (not going to find the correct spellink) is saying the NCAA should re-assess how they are handing things this year. Maybe being 2-2 he wants a re-do or maybe just cancel the season.

SZ2ojLrl.jpg

Read today that Shesheffski (not going to find the correct spellink) is saying the NCAA should re-assess how they are handing things this year. Maybe being 2-2 he wants a re-do or maybe just cancel the season.

Pussy

• Like 1

Washington at Oregon in football tomorrow canceled due to high Covid numbers in Husky land.

A lot of conspiracies in Duckville saying the Huskies just want to be named North champs and are afraid they'll lose to U of O.

Really this is UW's own fault, Their basketball program canceled their game in Spokane against Gonzaga because they supposedly didn't want to risk travel due to Covid yet funnily enough, they travelled to Las Vegas to play UC-Riverside a couple weeks ago. But hey, quality of opponent and the likelihood that they would've have gotten beat by 30+ in Spokane had nothing to do with the decision, amirite Dawgs? Obviously the University's sports teams aren't above "rearranging" their schedules to benefit themselves now are they? It's no wonder Oregon fans think they're dodging the game.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1

#1 Zags 99 - #3 Iowa 88

I'm enjoying the one year I'm going to get of Jalen Suggs cuz the kid will easily be a top 10 pick in next year's NBA draft, maybe top 5. Amazing player.

Suggs is from MN. He was dominant since at least his sophomore year. Glad to see he's doing well, he seems like a really good kid.

Edited by laughedatbytime

#1 Zags 99 - #3 Iowa 88

I'm enjoying the one year I'm going to get of Jalen Suggs cuz the kid will easily be a top 10 pick in next year's NBA draft, maybe top 5. Amazing player.

Suggs is from MN. He was dominant since at least his sophomore year. Glad to see he's doing well, he seems like a really good kid.

Cousin of Eddie Jones (NBA), 2nd cousin of Terrell Suggs (Ravens).

But you probably know all this.... :cool:

Edited by Principled Man

#1 Zags 99 - #3 Iowa 88

Cousin of Eddie Jones (NBA), 2nd cousin of Terrell Suggs (Ravens).

But you probably know all this.... :cool:

I did not. Good info. Thanks

I did know he's from Minny.

Duke falls to 5-5, such a shame...

You forgot the sarcasm font.

Btw, Gonzaga and Duke share the present streak for most consecutive Sweet 16 appearances at 5 each with last year obviously being waved since there was no tournament. I'd say there's about a 90% chance the Zags get to 6 in a row this season and about a 90% chance Duke does not.

Illinois and Duke end their regular seasons as they started. Duke getting beat down by North Carolina while the Fighting Illini crushed #2 Michigan.

But I'm guessing they'll still put Duke in the tournament. Hope I'm wrong cuz they don't deserves it, but if I'm right I sincerely hope they lose by 40 in the first round. And btw, I'm not really even a Duke hater, they just don't deserve to get in this year and if they do it'll be name recognition alone.

P.S. GO ZAGS!!!

Duke will not continue playing in the ACC tournament having done what they thought they needed to do to get in the NCAA Tournament due to a positive COVID test.

Artie Fufkin could never play or coach for Duke.

• Like 1

Illinois and Duke end their regular seasons as they started. Duke getting beat down by North Carolina while the Fighting Illini crushed #2 Michigan.

But I'm guessing they'll still put Duke in the tournament. Hope I'm wrong cuz they don't deserves it, but if I'm right I sincerely hope they lose by 40 in the first round. And btw, I'm not really even a Duke hater, they just don't deserve to get in this year and if they do it'll be name recognition alone.

P.S. GO ZAGS!!!

I don't think they'll be in the "big dance" with their 13-11 record. It wouldn't be surprising to see them there because the media loves them, but they should be in the NIT (Not Important Tournament) this year.

P.S. GO ZAGS!!!

I don't think they'll be in the "big dance" with their 13-11 record. It wouldn't be surprising to see them there because the media loves them, but they should be in the NIT (Not Important Tournament) this year.

They ended their season today supposedly because of Covid. Why do I think it was a convenient out cuz they knew they weren't getting in short of winning the ACC tournament?

• Like 1

Rocket Mortgage, the nation's largest mortgage lender, today announced a massive expansion of its longstanding partnership with Michigan State University (MSU) Athletics. Starting in the 2021-2022 athletic season, the company – which has a rich history of supporting college athletics – will have unparalleled visibility and branding throughout a variety of Spartan athletic teams including men's and women's basketball, football and hockey.

"Michigan State Athletics couldn't compete at the highest levels without the support of our corporate partners like Rocket Mortgage," said Bill Beekman, Michigan State Director of Athletics. "We are appreciative of Rocket's continued commitment to the Spartans and their unwavering support of our programs."

Under the new five-year deal, Detroit-based Rocket Mortgage will be the presenting sponsor of the famed men's basketball team which will now be known throughout the Breslin Center as, "MSU Spartans Presented by Rocket Mortgage."

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

https://msuspartans.com/news/2021/3/11/general-rocket-mortgage-greatly-expands-partnership-with-michigan-state-university-athletics-continues-role-as-official-mortgage-provider.aspx

• Like 1

Rocket Mortgage, the nation's largest mortgage lender, today announced a massive expansion of its longstanding partnership with Michigan State University (MSU) Athletics. Starting in the 2021-2022 athletic season, the company – which has a rich history of supporting college athletics – will have unparalleled visibility and branding throughout a variety of Spartan athletic teams including men's and women's basketball, football and hockey.

"Michigan State Athletics couldn't compete at the highest levels without the support of our corporate partners like Rocket Mortgage," said Bill Beekman, Michigan State Director of Athletics. "We are appreciative of Rocket's continued commitment to the Spartans and their unwavering support of our programs."

Under the new five-year deal, Detroit-based Rocket Mortgage will be the presenting sponsor of the famed men's basketball team which will now be known throughout the Breslin Center as, "MSU Spartans Presented by Rocket Mortgage."

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

https://msuspartans....e-provider.aspx

They have to find new ways to pay the huge salaries of the coaches for the men's basketball and football.

• Like 1