Hotel California - The Eagles - December 8th. 1976

Tom Sawyer

The Hotel California is 44 years old today...

The Eagles released their 5th studio LP "Hotel California" on Dec. 8, 1976. It was the first Eagles album without the appearance of their founding member Bernie Leadon and their first album with guitarist Joe Walsh. It is also the last album featuring original bassist Randy Meisner. The album became the band's best-selling studio album, with over 16 million copies sold in the U.S. alone and over 32 million copies sold worldwide. The album topped the charts and won the band two Grammy Awards for "Hotel California" and "New Kid in Town". The album was nominated for Album of the Year but lost to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

The album yielded three Top 20 singles, "New Kid in Town", "Hotel California", and "Life in the Fast Lane". "New Kid in Town" and "Hotel California" both topped the Billboard Hot 100, and "Life in the Fast Lane" reached number 11 on the charts. The album was ranked number 37 on Rolling Stone‍‍'s list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time". The album further established the group as the most successful American band of the decade, making the Eagles household names. The song "Hotel California" is considered by many to be one of the greatest rock songs of all time; it was ranked number 49 on Rolling Stone‍‍'s list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". The guitar duet at the end of the song was performed by Don Fedler and Jow Walsh. The album also features "Wasted Time", "Victim of Love", and "The Last Resort".

Their best record? Your thoughts?

Happy 44th Birthday to "Hotel California"!!

130776353_5065411946832807_3249455620610705112_n.png?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=Grro8I83m9AAX8oKp9B&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=db7697b6e0b2a5cd9a19840a4cade9ae&oe=5FF448A0

• Like 2

I love the Eagles. Easily my favorite album by them. The solo of the title track... the mellow gushiness of Wasted Time and Last Resort... the rocking tunes of Victim Of Love and Try And Love Again...

Good stuff man.

It's fukking amazing. I of course prefer nowadays to listen the less played tracks like The Last Resort, Victim of Love, etc. cuz of radio overplay but that's not to take away from the brilliance of the big 3.
  • Like 1

A great album by a great band.

I've seen them live several times now and they are still good. We were supposed to see them this year in the LA Forum, but Covid put paid to that.

• Like 1

I was 22. Their best? Maybe. It was the only Eagles' album I ever bought. Think I loved Victim of Love more than Hotel California.

Who's Jow Walsh? ;)

A helluva guitar player and underrated singer. Would've never been asked to join that band if he wasn't.

• Like 2

Even though I didn't mention on my profile that today is my birthday, I was born on the release date of the Hotel California album.

The album does resonate with me from being a long time listener of The Eagles.

My intention isn't to hijack the thread of the initial subject that's been posted.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I was 22. Their best? Maybe. It was the only Eagles' album I ever bought. Think I loved Victim of Love more than Hotel California.

Who's Jow Walsh? ;)

A helluva guitar player and underrated singer. Would've never been asked to join that band if he wasn't.

Glad he stopped drinking. He sounds pickled.

Even though I didn't mention on my profile that today is my birthday, I was born on the release date of the Hotel California album.

My intention isn't to hijack the thread of the initial subject that's been posted.

:outtahere:

I suppose that made you the new kid in town.....

Never seen them but like them

• Like 2

I think it might possibly be the greatest album of the 70s.

It's about the California dream, and all the shit that goes with it.

Pretty Maids in a Row has to be one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded. And if it's not THAT song, then The Last Resort is.

• Like 2

tumblr_prahtocjLT1v515gm_540.gif

Fantastic album start to finish!

I won this album on the radio when it first came out in 1976...

...I just loved it from that first listen all those years ago straight up to today!

(I think I'll give it a spin now)

I know which part of the 'Hotel California' song that the animated photo is conveying.

It begins at the 5:25 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x47aiMa1XUA

• Like 1

In honor of it being the holiday season (even though it's obviously not on the Hotel California album)............

http://youtu.be/lFWe2aVrIbo

'Funky New Year' is the flip side to 'Please Come Home For Christmas'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yNRcrJyDfg

Damn I had forgotten all about that song. Thank you for posting! Haven't heard it in probably.......well, a longtime anyway. :)

Anyone who says all they ever did was slick, west coast rock ought to listen to this, Sly Stone would be proud.

I was at the Millennium Concert at Staples Center and they did Please Come Home For Christmas which was a real treat. A shame they didn't do that one since it was New Year's Eve 1999 into New Year's day 2000.

Edited by driventotheedge

I was at the Millennium Concert at Staples Center and they did Please Come Home For Christmas which was a real treat. A shame they didn't do that one since it was New Year's Eve 1999 into New Year's day 2000.

Apparently The Eagles performed both 'Please Come Home For Christmas' and 'Funky New Year' at the Millennium Concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzobTYAvxB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-lk09RLvk

Edited by RushFanForever

Apparently The Eagles performed both 'Please Come Home For Christmas' and 'Funky New Year' at the Millennium Concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzobTYAvxB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-lk09RLvk

Damn I obviously forgot that they did it that night. :( Well in fairness to myself it was 21 years ago and I had a drunk (now ex) wife I was babysitting. But damn I should've remembered that.

At least I remember that the incomparable Linda Ronstadt and their old friend Jackson Browne were the opening acts.

Who's Jow Walsh? ;)

I've seen him with the Eagles and solo. Joe's a great live act, and seems like a genuinely fun guy.
  • Like 2