Alright, I don't think we've done this yet. List your top ten progressive rock singers!

Entre_Perpetuo

Okay I know I already accidentally did another greatest singers of all time thread, but this is different. This is about prog singers specifically, and it's not an ever growing list, it's a challenge to each poster to list your personal top ten! I was just talking with my dad about this and we both agreed it's hard to do much better than Steve Walsh within prog. Geddy in his prime is close.
  • Like 2

Peter Gabriel, Mikael Akerfeldt, Bernie Shaw, Tommy Shaw, Dennis DeYoung, Jon Anderson, Roger Waters, Geddy Lee, Steven Wilson, Fish,
  • Like 4

To keep things simple I'm dismissing singers who's prog cred is a bit tenuous, like Freddie Mercury or Matt Bellamy.

1. Geddy Lee (Rush)

2. Peter Gabriel (Genesis)

3. Steve Walsh (Kansas)

4. James Labrie (Dream Theater)

5. Phil Collins (Genesis)

6. Jon Anderson (Yes)

7. John Wetton (King Crimson / Asia)

8. Jim Grey (Caligula's Horse)

9. Annie Haslam (Renaissance)

10. Nick Barrett (Pendragon)

EDIT: Forgot a few bands with great singers. Pains me not to put any Italian bands on here, but honestly most of my favorite Italian prog vocals are choral, and the more outrageous operatic ones all sound really similar to the point where I find it hard to choose. The closest to a favorite single singer from Italy would be Aldo Tagliapietra of Le Orme. Not outrageously operatic like the guys in Alphataurus and Museo Rosenbach, but he stands on his own unlike the guys in PFM and Celeste.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

Just a bunch that spring to mind (some already mentioned, but hey! ... they're good!) -

Jon Anderson

Peter Gabriel

Ian Anderson

Geddy Lee

Annie Haslam

Steve Walsh

Geoff Tate

Greg Lake

Mikael Akerfeldt

Fish

• Like 2

Geddy Lee

Jon Anderson

Ian Anderson

Peter Gabriel

. . . and then I get a bit vague.

Honestly, I don't think "good singer" that often with Prog music; the kind of attention-grabbing wailing and vocal gymnastics I associate with "good singer" is more the province of more guitar-driven rock. Is Iron Maiden a prog band?

• Like 2

Jon Anderson

Dave Longdon

Peter Gabriel

Phil Collins

Kate Bush

Gosh I forgot about Kate!!! How could I forget the beautiful Kate!! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Jon Anderson

Dave Longdon

Peter Gabriel

Phil Collins

Kate Bush

Jon is #1 in my eyes. The yessongs era was about as proggy as prog ever got imo.

So proggy that Bruford left the band to join King Crimson, claiming he felt Yes' material wasn't going far enough. :smash:

Love it all.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo