Which of these latter day Rolling Stones albums is the best?

treeduck

Latter Day Stones albums?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these later years Stones albums is your favourite?

• Undercover
    • Dirty Work
    • Voodoo Lounge
    • Bridges to Babylon
    • A Bigger Bang
    • Blue and Lonesome

I am not familiar with any of them.

The last Stones album I bought was in the late 80's.

You just walked away Lorraine, in their hour of need! Mick was down to his last $100 Million in the late 80's!

I'm going to fast on bread and water for the next two weeks.

Sorry, Mick. A fair weather friend is no friend.

• Like 1

Undercover and Dirty Work were both early to mid Eighties albums. What was the last one you remember buying? Late Eighties was probably Steel Wheels.

It must've been Steel Wheels. I think it's sad that I can't even remember the name of the album, nor can I any longer remember the songs I heard that made me buy the album.

I never heard of Undercover or Dirty Work.

Blue And Lonesome is their best in years even if it is a covers album.

It's a covers album so it shouldn't be ranked alongside their original material. If I were to rank Metallica's albums, Garage Inc wouldn't be in it. Cover albums should just be put off to the side. There's nothing impressive about a professional musician being able to perform someone else's song.

Rock music's foundation was built on musicians performing someone else's songs. The Stones came full circle with Blue and Lonesome.

Covers are fine when a band is starting out. Once they're established as songwriters themselves, I find it completely pointless to release a covers album. I listen to bands to hear their material not someone else's.

• Like 1

Undercover and Dirty Work were both early to mid Eighties albums. What was the last one you remember buying? Late Eighties was probably Steel Wheels.

It must've been Steel Wheels. I think it's sad that I can't even remember the name of the album, nor can I any longer remember the songs I heard that made me buy the album.

It wasn't Steel Wheels. Just listening to snippets from the songs on the album. It stinks. :boo hiss: Sounds so commercial and tinny Sad.

Will do more research later when I have time. I know I bought one album in the 80's around the time I got sober

It wasn't Steel Wheels. Just listening to snippets from the songs on the album. It stinks. :boo hiss: Sounds so commercial and tinny Sad.

Will do more research later when I have time. I know I bought one album in the 80's around the time I got sober

Tattoo You? That would have been 1981. Their Eighties output is that, Undercover, Dirty Work and Steel Wheels.

Tattoo You? That would have been 1981. Their Eighties output is that, Undercover, Dirty Work and Steel Wheels.

And Emotional Rescue.

And Emotional Rescue.

I was in California when that was out. That and Eric Clapton's Cocaine were on the radio constantly.

And Emotional Rescue.

Isn’t that 78 or 79?

And Emotional Rescue.

I was in California when that was out. That and Eric Clapton's Cocaine were on the radio constantly.

I hope you weren't on the cocaine! :tsk:

And Emotional Rescue.

Isn’t that 78 or 79?

1980, it's the one after Some Girls.

• Like 1

I still have my Steel Wheels concert shirt - it is 31 years old!!! :o That's when t shirts were built to last...:codger:
  • Like 1

Saw them when Shea Stadium was Shea Stadium. :codger: Sat in row UU which is the second to last row of the whole place..WAY WAY up there in nose bleed section. Waving to planes as they flew by. Had telescope "Is that really Mick down there?!" Thank god they started with the big screens then. Glad I saw them though.
  • Like 1

I saw The Stones at Radio City and The Beacon. Small venues considering the band.

Radio City was a benefit show so the tickets were expensive. B-52's opened.

The Beacon ( They were filming Shine a Light ): I was able to get the email of their tour manager ( M Cohl ). I asked him politely and told him my history with seeing The Stones. A few hours later I got an email back saying " you're on the guestlist ". It was the second night 10/31/2006 and was postponed until 11/1/2006.

• Like 3

I saw The Stones at Radio City and The Beacon. Small venues considering the band.

Radio City was a benefit show so the tickets were expensive. B-52's opened.

The Beacon ( They were filming Shine a Light ): I was able to get the email of their tour manager ( M Cohl ). I asked him politely and told him my history with seeing The Stones. A few hours later I got an email back saying " you're on the guestlist ". It was the second night 10/31/2006 and was postponed until 11/1/2006.

That's really cool! :cheers:

Bridges to Babylon

I saw the show on that tour - I met the drum tech at a bar - talked drums for 2 hours with him - he hooked me up and I got -in front- of the front row. Keith's side. Qualcomm in San Diego with Santana.

I witnessed a band so f***ing tight and rocking. Mick had the stadium in the palm of his hand.

Here's one thing I remember from that conversation:

According to him, up to that point, Charlie Watts had never, ever changed his kick drum head. His touring kit was his own kit - and he never changed the kick head. This is 30 plus years into their career at this point. Take that for what it is, but that's what the dude said!

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

Bridges to Babylon

I saw the show on that tour - I met the drum tech at a bar - talked drums for 2 hours with him - he hooked me up and I got -in front- of the front row. Keith's side. Qualcomm in San Diego with Santana.

I witnessed a band so f***ing tight and rocking. Mick had the stadium in the palm of his hand.

According to him, up to that point, Charlie Watts had never, ever changed his kick drum head. His touring kit was his own kit - and he never changed the kick head. This is 30 plus years into their career at this point. Take that for what it is, but that's what the dude said!

Only time I saw them was at Qualcomm in '94, Voodoo Lounge tour. Seal opened. Felt the same about Mick that night oo.

• Like 1

Bridges to Babylon

Why did you vote for Blue and Lonesome then?

Bridges to Babylon

Whoops.

That's a good one too.

Bridges to Babylon

Whoops.

That's a good one too.

:hail: